Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Current Events Shows?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2008, 10:56 AM   #1
Chris_Dog
Orange whip?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Current Events Shows?

These are the shows that the talking head has a panel of 2+ "experts". They all spend their time trying to talk louder than they other guy. Heaven forbid that one of the "experts" has a point (especially from the counterpoint) the host then will change topics.

Do any of you find these shows even remotely entertaining? Personally I can't stand them and refuse to watch. I think the whole premise of these shows is to make the expert from the counterpoint look like an idiot or to make the talking head look like a genius. (Or both)

You notice I didn't call it a news show.

Thanks,
Chris

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2008, 07:55 PM   #2
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Dog View Post
I think the whole premise of these shows is to make the expert from the counterpoint look like an idiot or to make the talking head look like a genius. (Or both)
The point is to rent eyeballs to advertisers (or underwriters, but same thing).

There are a few current events discussions that are thoughtful, reasonable, civil and available by podcast.

The Economist' "Democracy in America", NPR's Left Right and Center, and Diane Rehm's Friday Roundup (one hour of domestic and one hour of international). Listening to DR makes me crazy but the guests are excellent. Oh, and Washington Week (the audio portion of the tv show) is podcast also.

My favorite pundit is probably Tony Blankley; he's like a less affected William F. Buckley for the current century and has appeared on the LRC and DR shows listed. I disagree with Tony frequently, but respect his opinions deeply and would love to have him over for dinner and homebrew.

Do you remember the SNL skit making fun of Firing Line where John McLaughlin yelled at guests, telling them what they ate for breakfast?

JM: What did you have for breakfast?
Guest: Cheerios.
JM: WRONG!!! You had Wheaties.

or something like that.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:59 PM   #3
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

My favorites are Deface the Nation and Meet the Depressed, or Press the Meet, which ever you prefer.

Quick Reply