Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Country Music? (McKBrew's musical evolution)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2008, 10:41 PM   #1
McKBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Country Music? (McKBrew's musical evolution)

In the late 80's and early 90's I was big into all of the hair bands/hard rock bands of the day. Cinderella, GNR, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Scorpions, etc... As these bands mostly died off, I listened to some of the newer stuff (Offspring, early Green Day, Nirvana and other "newer" bands. As the music changed, I started listening to more classic rock stations just to find the songs I liked. About a year and a half ago, I started listening to country pretty much exclusively. I got tired of all of the politics and "damn the man" music from the newer Green Day albums, White Stripes, etc... (I said politics, so this might have to be moved to the debate forum). Now I am not saying that some country music isn't political, it just tends to agree more with my political views. I like the theme of country music. Small towns, stay out of my business, I don't care what you think, Beer, women, etc...

I guess the point I am getting to by means of a long explanation is that I like country music. I also wondered if anyone else had grown tired of a certain style of music and had experienced a major shift in what they listened to. And lastly, any other country music fans out there? Give me a yee-haw.

Make Beer, Not War.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2008, 11:14 PM   #2
talleym0nster
Recipes 

Well, my roots are in 80's rock....but after going biblical, my mom changed the dial over to the country, so I heard a lot of it growing up. every time I go home to the folks house my mom has it on CMT. All of todays country just sounds like top 40 pop music to me.
**** OBAMA!
The older stuff I recognize, and occasionally there will be a song that I fully recognize, artist and all.....

Old 09-12-2008, 11:17 PM   #3
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Only the old stuff here- love Johnny Cash. SWMBO's a country fan- so a little sinks in through osmosis (despite my best efforts).

I'm much more into classic bluegrass and roots music- Bill Monroe, Flatt & Scruggs, Uncle Josh, etc.

My personal taste in music is wide and varied. I've got Martin Sexton, Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu, The Tragically Hip going top 3 right now.

Last edited by flyangler18; 09-12-2008 at 11:21 PM.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:19 PM   #4
eschatz

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts

Started punk rock. I eventually got tired of the same old crap and moved to jazz. That's a socio-economic shift if there ever was one!!!!

What's tappening? :D

Old 09-12-2008, 11:21 PM   #5
talleym0nster
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyangler18 View Post
Only the old stuff here- love Johnny Cash. SWMBO's a country fan- so a little sinks in through osmosis (despite my best efforts).

I'm much more into classic bluegrass and roots music- Bill Monroe, Flatt & Scruggs, Uncle Josh, etc.
Johnny Cash is the shiznit. When my Grandpa died he gave all of his old records to my Dad, including his Johnny Cash and Hank Willimas collections.....I get them next.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:30 PM   #6
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I know what you mean...

I grew up on country (with my dad hanging out with his buddies) then the Beatles came along, Motown, Deep Purple, Frigid Pink, The Who, Jim/Jimi/Janis and Woodstock...etc., Aerosmith, Scorpions (I saw them, was less than 2 feet away from them actually, in Germany in 1976 (before they even toured the US)), all the hair bands, etc., but I still listened to "some" C&W.

As for my CD collection: Hendrix rests comfortably close to Jimmy Buffett; K.T. Oslin is stuffed between Kiss and L.A. Guns; and Rodney Crowell leans on either Robin Trower or Roger Waters (The Wall).

Garth Brooks and George Strait are just "peachy fine" living between Frank Zappa and George Thorogood.

I also hear the Eagles and Earth, Wind and Fire are getting along well...as are Abba and AC/CD; and the Beatles and the Bee Gees.

Come to think of it, I haven't heard any bad news from the Rare Earth, Reba McEntire, Red hot Chili Peppers and Reggae 'hood either...

We're one big happy family here in the land of Lincoln...

Although I must inform you the true "classical" musicians; BEERthoven, "Wolfy" Mozart and company, have been moved out into the southern tiers to dwell with the Christmas CDs.

Last edited by homebrewer_99; 09-12-2008 at 11:36 PM.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:37 AM   #7
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Country Music has sucked ass since the late 80s

Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Old 09-13-2008, 12:39 AM   #8
McKBrew

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFlynn74 View Post
Country Music has sucked ass since the late 80s
Everyone has their opinions. I like quite a bit of the new stuff. Toby Keith, Montgomery Gentry. Rascal Flatts tends to get a bit ballady, but when they crank out a true country song I like it.

I'll definately agree that Johnny Cash probably is the pinnacle of country.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:42 AM   #9
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Its pop with a slide guitar and recycled lyrics. Hell 90% of the popular songs in the 90s were country done Boys 2 Men songs

Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Old 09-13-2008, 12:44 AM   #10
McKBrew

Recipes 

Dammit Mike, If I wanted you to bash country I'd ask for it. I'm about to come up their, pull you outside of your igloo and beat you with a frozen moose leg. I know you guys are way behind the times up their in AK, have you even heard of the Beatles yet.

Make Beer, Not War.

Quick Reply