Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Computer woes- yech!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2008, 02:43 PM   #11
BADS197
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

it's probably Anti-spyware 2008 or Antivirus 2008 **** I saw at my last job.

Do a google for it and you'll find the removal tool, works pretty good.

I think it's classified as Malware.

Normal anti-virus scans and spyware (spybot S&D and Adaware) tools detect and remove it but not completely. At reboot you'll still have it along with the active desktop background wallpaper it likes to toss in on occasion. Safe mode will do the same thing with your spyware and anti-virus tools and you'll have it, yes... at bootup.

you won't get rid of it any other way.. it embeds itself pretty good.

Frosty Nipple Brewing Co.

Bottled
Pumpkin Ale
Faw-Kin Hevy Scotch Ale
Slam Dunkelweizen
GPC American Ale
Not-October Octoberfest Ale

Primary
English Pale Ale
Secondary

Keg
#1 2.5g - Faw-kin Hevy Scotch Ale
#2 2.5g - Nut Brown Ale

Next
American Amber
English Pale

Last edited by BADS197; 08-14-2008 at 02:46 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2008, 02:52 PM   #12
jcarson83

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

I spent an entire day trying to get rid of a similar problem on my work pc the other week and just ended up formatting a reloading. Had the same problem with another workers computer just Monday and didn't even try just wiped and reloaded. It only takes a few hours.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:57 PM   #13
k1v1116
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

my solution, and you might not like this but it can be cost effective if you rely on this PC for work, is to get a second harddrive and install windows, drivers, and basic software on it. keep the drive disconnected until your pc gets a virus then hook up the drive as the primary disk and boot from it. you will have an emergency copy of windows ready to go whenever you need it and still have access to all your files on the old drive plus you can run a virus scan on the old disk and maybe remove the virus.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:15 PM   #14
RiverSwillBeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
F8 at boot up and then select "Safe Mode with Networking"

Thats the way !!! Also once your in ... you may look to see what is loading on start up in the registry and delete anything that doesnt come up as OK on a google search. This is fairly easy but if your too bold ... you will screw up your machine. A google search will explain how to explore your "run" and "run once" registry settings. This is where a lot of evil can get launched from

Old 08-14-2008, 04:05 PM   #15
Philip1993
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brauhaus View Post
if it will allow you to get onto the web, download the free version of AVG

or IT kid doesn't believe in Anti-Virus software and when my computer caught a virus, he had me "restore" the computer to when my last restore point was....

see if you can restore it, if not try to download AVG, if that doesn't work then I'm out of suggestions.
Word of warning: MS restore points only rewind your configuration files. Any infected programs/scripts/etc remain and will reactivate upon use. It's handy when you installed a new app and windows gets unstable, but it should never be used to combat a virus/malware/spyware infection.

You can fight it, and likely win. But unless you are skilled at the process, you will spend far more time fighting than you would just rebuilding it. Save your data files (data only), format, reinstall. Be sure to scan your data files before opening or reloading them.

In the future, follow EdWorts advice. Image to an external drive periodically and whenever disaster strikes, just restore the last good image.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:16 PM   #16
brauhaus

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pldoolittle View Post
Word of warning: MS restore points only rewind your configuration files. Any infected programs/scripts/etc remain and will reactivate upon use. It's handy when you installed a new app and windows gets unstable, but it should never be used to combat a virus/malware/spyware infection.

You can fight it, and likely win. But unless you are skilled at the process, you will spend far more time fighting than you would just rebuilding it. Save your data files (data only), format, reinstall. Be sure to scan your data files before opening or reloading them.

In the future, follow EdWorts advice. Image to an external drive periodically and whenever disaster strikes, just restore the last good image.
yeah, I was never fond of our IT kids method, I knew that it wasn't a "failsafe" approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billtzk View Post
Ditch Windows, install Linux. It's the best virus protection you can get.
very true, however the only thing keeping me from switching is AutoCAD, 3Ds Max and a few other apps that I've only heard horror stories about.

Fire/EMS of HBT.com

Old 08-14-2008, 04:25 PM   #17
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Looks like someone is using IE!

Linux with FF3 and you will never have that problem

Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Old 08-14-2008, 04:50 PM   #18
McCall St. Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1v1116 View Post
my solution, and you might not like this but it can be cost effective if you rely on this PC for work, is to get a second harddrive and install windows, drivers, and basic software on it. keep the drive disconnected until your pc gets a virus then hook up the drive as the primary disk and boot from it. you will have an emergency copy of windows ready to go whenever you need it and still have access to all your files on the old drive plus you can run a virus scan on the old disk and maybe remove the virus.
I'm wondering if this is my best solution now. A lot of the other things people suggested I can't do because I can't get it to boot up all the way. So I don't know how to back up any data or anything at this point.

Maybe I just need to put in a new hard drive, install Windows and then re-install all of my applications. Then I can put the hard drive in an external case and see about getting the data off of it.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:03 PM   #19
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 263 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If you go that route check out the IDE - SATA drive to USB adapter at Fry's for 15 bucks.

http://shop4.frys.com/product/543709...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

I bought one specifically to get data off systems that won't boot. It's cheaper than an enclosure and you can even connect 2.5" notebook drives to it. A great tool for data recovery.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 08-14-2008, 05:29 PM   #20
stever
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

F8 on boot up and go to safemode with networking

go download this and run it. It will find various things and and remove them.

Then download Spybot search and destroy and run that to verify its clean.

If you find some files that it cannot delete you can get killbox here.

You will also want to run combofix depending on the level of infection.

You can also check out this guide for more info.

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVKTR2 View Post
Can't believe I'm saying this, but Great Cock man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
yeah, i've got big balls

Quick Reply