The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Computer Programming

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2008, 02:10 PM   #21
brauhaus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1v1116 View Post
well there are versions of linux that can run inside windows, but the easiest way would just be to run linux on whatever the machine is. you can also use something like vmware to simulate a computer within windows and run linux in that virtual environment but it tends to run a lot slower than just running linux straight up.

I only thought linux might be easier because it has thousands of small programs that preform a singular task very well and in linux you can tie whichever small programs you need together to make one program that does just about whatever you need.
very cool, I have a desktop and laptop at home that run Linux so it's worth a shot....

i don't mind tinkering with Linux...

i have no experience in programming or any formal training so if I get some time to tinker with it, I'll def give it a go.

Fire/EMS of HBT.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2008, 07:00 PM   #22
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1900 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

Ok, so not a school project. Sorry for jumping to conclusions, but I've seen that plenty before (not here).

As far as internet access, EVDO is getting more popular, and provides internet access via cell phones. So, if there is cell coverage in that area, you *could* access this stuff online.

As far as creating an offline system built in-house, I'm not sure what you would do other than get into some serious amateur programming.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply