Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Computer Programming

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2008, 06:52 PM   #11
phreephly
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

BraeHaus,

take a look at Microsoft's Map Point technology. There is an API that you can use to do just what your looking for. Ideally you'd use C# as the programming language, but I think any .NET product will work. The Streets and Maps link given by atarlecky is based on the Map Point SDK.

phreephly -

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.
-Dave Barry

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2008, 07:31 PM   #12
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2017 Times on 1449 Posts
Likes Given: 1100

Wow, you're asking for help with a school programming project at a brewing website??

I thought you were just interested in doing this for fun. If you are actually going to program, then there are a few choices, but M$ lets you interact with several of their softwares if you know one of the C++ laguages or .NET of whatever. It's beyond me, but I'm sure you could manage to get one of their newer mapping softwares integrated with Access.

Are you sure you wouldn't be better served in one of the M$ forums?? People are always asking for that kind of help there. They usually get samples of code to work from too.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:52 PM   #13
brauhaus

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Wow, you're asking for help with a school programming project at a brewing website??

I thought you were just interested in doing this for fun. If you are actually going to program, then there are a few choices, but M$ lets you interact with several of their softwares if you know one of the C++ laguages or .NET of whatever. It's beyond me, but I'm sure you could manage to get one of their newer mapping softwares integrated with Access.

Are you sure you wouldn't be better served in one of the M$ forums?? People are always asking for that kind of help there. They usually get samples of code to work from too.
haha, no this isn't for a school project, and yes this is purely for fun.

i've been out of school for quite some time.

I can see this is way over my tinkering and I'm probably going to not pursue this venture any further.

Basically, our fire department has software already that we use to sum up our situation before we arrive on-scene, we use On-Scene Xplorer for this, see below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraeHaus View Post
I'm trying to create a program much like this one: Onscene Xplorer
The on-scene software allows us to store information for the buildings in our first-due area (drawings, what type of suppression system the building has, manager name and phone numbers, etc, etc.). It's a pretty interesting program and is like a fancy version of google maps, or any mapping program just taken a step further.

This software is extremely pricey and I was curious how hard it would be to create a similar program to test on our squad, something perhaps in-house that we could tweak on our own. We do not have satellite service so the GPS functions and internet access based programs will do the squad no good.

Just me thinking outside of the box and seeing how hard it would be to create this type of program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
This sounds like a simple Database to create. You'd likely be successful if you follow a couple of tutorials.
do you have a link of said tutorials? I'd appreicate anything to continue my curiosity.

Fire/EMS of HBT.com

Last edited by brauhaus; 08-05-2008 at 07:56 PM.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:11 PM   #14
quixotic
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ArcExplorer doesn't need internet access: http://www.esri.com/software/arcexplorer/explorer.html
ESRI software is top notch. I use their Arc 9 program daily.

secondary:oatmeal stout
kegged: marzen
on tap: apfelwein
on tap: Northern Brewer/Vienna SMaSH
on deck: beer

Old 08-05-2008, 08:15 PM   #15
phreephly
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Homercidal,

Sorry, but whenever I see "M$" I think of this:

m-.gif  

phreephly -

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.
-Dave Barry

Old 08-05-2008, 08:45 PM   #16
brauhaus

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
ArcExplorer doesn't need internet access: http://www.esri.com/software/arcexplorer/explorer.html
ESRI software is top notch. I use their Arc 9 program daily.
Alright I downloaded the program, but ah... how do you use it? is there any user manuals or anything?

Fire/EMS of HBT.com

Old 08-05-2008, 09:45 PM   #17
quixotic
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

http://www.ctre.iastate.edu/research/gis-alas/papers/Arcexplo.pdf
secondary:oatmeal stout
kegged: marzen
on tap: apfelwein
on tap: Northern Brewer/Vienna SMaSH
on deck: beer

Old 08-05-2008, 10:11 PM   #18
k1v1116
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

the biggest issue I see is converting the data or designing a program to use the data (maps etc...) that is already formatted for On-Scene Xplorer. but my first reaction would be to look for linux programs that can handle each of the individual functions you need then just write a small program to tie the other programs together.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:15 PM   #19
brauhaus

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for the link! I was searching their site and was getting frustrated not finding anything. Multilated1 and Quixotic, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1v1116 View Post
the biggest issue I see is converting the data or designing a program to use the data (maps etc...) that is already formatted for On-Scene Xplorer. but my first reaction would be to look for linux programs that can handle each of the individual functions you need then just write a small program to tie the other programs together.
Hrmm, this many sound like and absolute n00b question, but would I be able to run a linux based program in windows?

I'm starting to think that this is way over my head and I'm going to tinker around with the Arc software to see if I can tweak that to my liking.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Fire/EMS of HBT.com

Old 08-06-2008, 02:05 PM   #20
k1v1116
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

well there are versions of linux that can run inside windows, but the easiest way would just be to run linux on whatever the machine is. you can also use something like vmware to simulate a computer within windows and run linux in that virtual environment but it tends to run a lot slower than just running linux straight up.

I only thought linux might be easier because it has thousands of small programs that preform a singular task very well and in linux you can tie whichever small programs you need together to make one program that does just about whatever you need.

Quick Reply