The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Composting Resources

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2009, 02:00 PM   #1
avaserfi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Default Composting Resources

Come late July I will be moving to a house. The partner and I have been planning on getting a compost going, but this will be a first for both of us. I have a feeling it will primarily fall on me, since I am the cook, brewer etc... This is more my interest than hers, but she wants to do it as well. We will be using the soil for a produce garden as well.

Does anyone have any resources that helped them start out on the cheap? I am hoping to avoid investing much money in this - I was thinking of using a large rubbermaid trashcan if possible, for example.

Andrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2009, 02:04 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4196 Times on 3055 Posts
Likes Given: 778

We just have a fenced circular area (not inside an enclosed container). But we don't have a problem with rodents or other critters getting into it. If we had skunks or raccoons, then I'd have to rethink it, I'm sure. We don't have an odor or anything, but we have a huge yard it it's quite a way from the house.

Old 06-06-2009, 02:07 PM   #3
bobjohnson77
Recipes 

I bought a large plastic trash can and poked holes in it for air circulation and it works well or if you are really a DIYer Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association > Publications > Articles for Reprinting > Building a Homemade Worm Composting System

Old 06-06-2009, 02:23 PM   #4
rsmith179
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was searching at work the other day for compost tumblers... Most are well above $200.00 retail. Then, I stumbled on this DIY project for Boy Scouts:

Make a compost tumbler -- Boys’ Life magazine

I figured, $hit if a 13 year old Boy Scout can do this, I'm sure I can too! I'll be looking for these blue cans on Craigslist and hopefully will have this built next weekend. Composting is great, but I hate the little mount I have in the backyard right now...

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Old 06-06-2009, 02:23 PM   #5
Marko73
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

There is an incredible book called, "The New Self-Sufficient gardener" by John Seymour. I used to run a vocational rehabilition greenhouse for people with mental illness, but I learned more from this book than from even that experience.

There is a whole chapter on composting and some of the different systems. This is my first year in my house so I am starting just a heap pile, but I would highly recommend this book. There are 2 versions and the one from the 70's is in just about every library.

Good luck!!!

"It is sheer folly to be taken by the hand and led down the path of better brewing by someone who says that they know it all. No, it is your experience that counts most. It is your experience that will always lead you to more questions."

~Charlie Papazian

Old 06-06-2009, 02:24 PM   #6
eriktlupus

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

for my yard waste from the dog pens i use an old trashcan with holes in the bottom and an open top. just make sure you get a good mix of dry and green materials. if its to green it'll just rot and stink too dry and it does nothing but sit there. also you need to rotate or mix the pile over every wk or so to aerate the pile. also dog waste compost is not recoomended for food bed, but it works fine in the flowers. i keep the dog and yard/houshold composts separate for this reason. my yard/house is done similar to yoops.

primary1 :UTOPIA BABY(still searching for it)
secondary:middling bastard ipa
kegged:simcoe blonde, crystal pale ale, yellow jacket golden ale, lemon shandy blonde
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS

join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

Old 06-06-2009, 02:35 PM   #7
avaserfi
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Thanks for the recommendations. I am going to be in an urban area so an open compost probably won't be the best idea. I was thinking something along the lines of this. Seems like an easy, simple, starting solution that could be kept right in the backyard without any issues.

How does something like that look?

Andrew

Old 06-06-2009, 02:55 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4196 Times on 3055 Posts
Likes Given: 778

It looks ok, but I'd consider a different shape. If you want to turn it (and you do!), it's hard to use a pitchfork or shovel to turn that pile in a round container, especially when it gets 1/2 full. . If you use a rectangular rubbermaid, it'll be easier to turn. I've seen some trash can ones set up on a metal dowel through them so they can be turned, but I don't know how they did it!

Old 06-07-2009, 01:15 AM   #9
NJTomatoguy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'll take a pic if the rain ever stops, but what I did was a yearly pile method. This year, that changed, and way better. I made a U shape out of extra pavers, and use that this year. turned it over a lot, and it looks great. what I used to do is for a whole season, everything goes in one pile. One year, behind the shed, one year, next to the woodpile. Another year, a pile in a garden bed I was letting rest. you get the idea. Not very efficient, but good compost. and no turning.
I believe it is worth the effort to turn the pile once a week. way faster production of Black Gold.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:15 AM   #10
pen25
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

check mother earth news

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organ...post-Pile.aspx

from or living in oklahoma? come join us in the oklahoma group

Last edited by pen25; 06-07-2009 at 08:26 AM.

Quick Reply