Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > College Recruitment and Microbrewery Event

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2006, 05:04 PM   #1
Eric_Duel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default College Recruitment and Microbrewery Event

So I get to do some of the recruiting work for my company this season. One of the schools we visit is Rutgers, which just happens to be in New Brunswick, NJ. We also happen to be planning a social event for the recruits to come, have some food and drink, and meet the people from the company.

We happen to have chosen Harvest Moon (New Brunswick Brewpub) as our location for the meet and greet.

So am I supposed to limit my intake just because I'm talking to recruits?

Even more importantly, am I going to end up talking more about beer than the positions we're looking for?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2006, 05:10 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 360 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Well, you need to show your recruits that yours is a fun, laid-back place to work, right?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 09-28-2006, 05:23 PM   #3
Eric_Duel
Recipes 

We "work hard... party hard..."

We wouldn't want them to apply for the job for the wrong reasons now would we?

Old 09-28-2006, 05:42 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

I've gotten at least one job talking about bars & beer. First job out of grad school, the interviewer (and manager) had gone to Cornell & we spent most of the interview talking about The Big Red Barn.

I've also turned down a job offer, because at the recruiting event the company handed out two tokens for drinks. I was told this was normal for company events and you couldn't buy additional drinks at them. I don't want to work for a company run by a liability lawyer!

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 09-28-2006, 06:56 PM   #5
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

Well, I hate to be a wet blanket and all, but I'd HIGHLY suggest severely limiting your intake during the recruiting portion at a minimum - ESPECIALLY since this is your first time.

I've seen SEVERAL people overdue it in situations where they shouldn't have and it's next to impossible to live down. It's not like it's a Christmas party where being a little tipsy is forgivable - it's a work event where you're representing your company.

Old 09-28-2006, 07:09 PM   #6
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwj
Well, I hate to be a wet blanket and all, but I'd HIGHLY suggest severely limiting your intake during the recruiting portion at a minimum - ESPECIALLY since this is your first time.

I've seen SEVERAL people overdue it in situations where they shouldn't have and it's next to impossible to live down. It's not like it's a Christmas party where being a little tipsy is forgivable - it's a work event where you're representing your company.
I kinda take it as a given that you don't get sloppy when representing the company, unless you're looking to have a whole lot more free time to drink on random Tuesday mornings. I think it would actually be MORE informative to see how the potential new hires act; gotta think that anyone with half a ounce of common sense isn't going to get sloppy when they're trying to score an interview.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie

Old 09-28-2006, 07:16 PM   #7
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

Well, he did ask if he should limit his intake...

I don't think I'd even get near the mild buzz point - especially since it's his first time doing this, and more likely than not, his behavior will be noticed.

I think I'd keep it in the 1-1.5 pints per hour range.

Old 09-28-2006, 07:24 PM   #8
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Yeah, that sounds right. Get a pint of a "sipper" and nurse it, there's plenty of time to drink afterwards.

Old 09-28-2006, 08:26 PM   #9
Eric_Duel
Recipes 

Maybe I should have added that the question was rhetorical. I am a professional representing a professional company. There's no way I'm going overboard.

However, I'm still excited to be going to a micro on a recruiting mission.
They were looking at stuffy formal places but they didn't work out. This is SO much better.

Quick Reply