Coffee Drinkers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoalCracker

Reaction score
I've been a coffee drinker since college and over the years have developed the taste for a good dark roast bold coffee. With just a splash of milk to add that velvety smooth texture. I've recently entertained the idea of home roasting and using a french press. How do you drink your brew?

French Roast mostly, ground in my kitchen, coarse, then french-pressed. I like the AeroPress as well but it only makes 1 cup at a time (either espresso or "Americano"). French Press has been easy, only wish I had a larger one to brew more than 3 cups or so.

I use 6 of the "standard coffee scoops" per go-round with the FP, which like I said makes about 3 small cups of coffee.

French press and very dark roasts all the way. I drink it black with nothing added if I'm making the coffee at home. If I drink anyone else's coffee, mainly folgers or similar out of a regular coffee maker, I have to doctor it with cream and sugar. There's just something about the taste and consistency of good quality coffee out of a French press that requires nothing additional.

Been drinking coffee since my mid-teens, Black and Bitter. My tastebuds adjusted to the 5# olive drab tins of coffee they served us n the Navy for 20yrs, and so I'll drink almost any coffee put before me still black and bitter.

I usually start my day with around 8 shots of Geovalia(probly spelled wrong) espresso that I grind my self with a little milk then brew a pot of French Roast or Columbian coffee. I drink coffee most of the day and roll over to home brewed beer or wine in the evenings. I spend the day clogging up my kidneys and the evening cleaning them out. Lol

SWMBO swears by an Ethiopian blend, but I personally prefer the Turkish. I pour a little half and half at the bottom of my cup, and then the coffee, so that I get cafe con leche without dirtying a spoon.

I'm probably the only one you will hear this from, but the best cup of coffee I ever had I roasted myself. I was able to find green coffee beans of unknown origin and roasted them in a cast iron pan. I actually adored the uneven roast and the different flavors that that caused.

I think BrewKnurd might agree, however, that the best commercial coffee you will ever have is at Cafe du Monde in New Orleans. It is mixed with roast chichory, and served by a guy in a stupid paper hat.

I like the SUmatran coffee right now. Was looking into roasting my own and trying it, just using an old jiffy pop.

I like straight espresso. I drink it all day every day. Last count was 12 shots a day. I'm starting to slow down though. I'm on 8 so far for the day.

:eek: You must race around like you did an 8 ball!! I drink about three 16oz cups a day. Could probably drink more if I would sleep at night. I cut it off at 3ish.

Oh yeah, I only take sugar. Stopped using cream/milk about a year ago. As mentioned though, bad coffee notwithstanding...

The AeroPress makes a really nice cup of espresso. It also has less particulate matter than the french press but does essentially the same thing if you're using the Coava stainless disc (ie. no paper to absorb things). I only wish they made like a 1 litre size AeroPress.

I love iced Vietnamese style, with Café Du Monde Coffee & Chicory with condensed milk. It will wake you up!

BTW, have I already singled you out and told you my inlaws live in Chester Springs and I was married in Pottstown... not far from the best HBS I've been to? :off:

BTW, have I already singled you out and told you my inlaws live in Chester Springs and I was married in Pottstown... not far from the best HBS I've been to? :off:

I've been thru Pottstown. Have a friend that lives just between Reading and Pottstown, in Douglassville.

Been roasting my own coffee for well over a decade now. I don't use anything fancy, just a stainless steel bowl, a heat gun, and plenty of stirring. Once you've had truly fresh roasted coffee, you'll never go back!

As for preparation, I usually prefer a French press or manual pour over. Being able to control the infusion water temperature is critical to getting the most out of your coffee. Most electric drip machines just don't get the water hot enough, and living at altitude makes it even worse.

Almost exclusively a black coffee guy, though if I happen to have fresh, cream top milk around, I like to break out the Moka pot and make cafe au lait.

Been roasting my own coffee for well over a decade now. I don't use anything fancy, just a stainless steel bowl, a heat gun, and plenty of stirring. Once you've had truly fresh roasted coffee, you'll never go back!

As for preparation, I usually prefer a French press or manual pour over. Being able to control the infusion water temperature is critical to getting the most out of your coffee. Most electric drip machines just don't get the water hot enough, and living at altitude makes it even worse.

Almost exclusively a black coffee guy, though if I happen to have fresh, cream top milk around, I like to break out the Moka pot and make cafe au lait.

I just used a heavy cast iron pan and the shake technique. Unfortunately, I am at the other side of the spectrum from coffee snob. I will drink anything, just so long as it is coffee and it is hot.

Being able to control the infusion water temperature is critical to getting the most out of your coffee. Most electric drip machines just don't get the water hot enough, and living at altitude makes it even worse.

This is true. I've been using ~190* for mine over the past year.

Yep, That's weak knee.

:off: If you want you can let him know that I see my last experience with him as what should be the industry standard. My wife asked if she could buy a bottle of the wine he was having her taste, and he replied that he couldnt sell it to her by law, but he could fill her glass up again on the house. He basically assured himself a customer the next time I visit the inlaws.

Just ordered a lb can of Cafe du monde and a bodum french press on Amazon. Guaranteed deliver tomorrow. Love prime.

Just ordered a lb can of Cafe du monde and a bodum french press on Amazon. Guaranteed deliver tomorrow. Love prime.

Have you ever tried it like this? And yes prime is the best!

thumb-300working.jpg

http://www.specialty-coffee-advisor.com/vietnamese-coffee.html

I'll let him know creamy :)

CoalCracker said:

I agree cafe du monde is good, but not my favorite. I ran out of my last can a while ago. I think you just inspired me to buy more, along with some beignet mix. Perfect pair- hot cup of coffee and freshly cooked beignets.

Well, after this thread I had to make coffee.
And what goes good with coffee? Pumpkin pie bars of course!

image-1057423248.jpg

My wife bought and made those for me. She knows I'm a sucker for all the fall seasonal flavors that everyone comes out with this time of year.

Black with a little ice so I can drink it and not sip it.. I think most that the wife gets me is house or special blends.. were poor so it's always generic or what's cheapest. I'm a double cup every morning at 4am on my way to work.. :mug:

Used to always use creamer or milk and a little sugar. A few months back (long after switching to better coffee) I tried it black and, well, haven't gone back. :cross:

I got tired of $13 a pound for good stuff so dropped $500 on a Gene Cafe roaster a few years back and cut the cost of beans in half...my wife made sure to get everyone to laugh at me for saving money by spending $500 on a roaster, funny thing is that that roaster has now paid for itself...guess that isn't funny so no on says anything about that. I buy all my beans from Sweet Marias, its great because we always get to enjoy new flavors as new crops come in. I run it through a Baratza Vario and serve it black every morning, no better way to start a day.

Yea that will probably be the next purchase. Or, I'll put it on the wedding registry. I have to have something on there too right?

I got a B&D burr grinder for about $40...not sure if it's robbing me of anything, seems to work just like a burr grinder should, by chipping the beans down to small enough particles to fall into the container...sorta like a Corona Mill.

Yea that will probably be the next purchase. Or, I'll put it on the wedding registry. I have to have something on there too right?

I did a ton of homework when I bought mine and found that most grinders are pretty crappy until you get into hundreds of dollars so ended up getting the Baratza Vario, its an awesome machine for home and can grind all they way down to Turkish. If you decide to spend that kind of coin just a heads up that they offer refurbished units on their website that will save you a ton of money and they have great customer service.

Oh yeah, congrats on getting married.

tre9er said:
I got a B&D burr grinder for about $40...not sure if it's robbing me of anything, seems to work just like a burr grinder should, by chipping the beans down to small enough particles to fall into the container...sorta like a Corona Mill.

Dang it all! Now I'm going to be grinding beans in my corona mill just to see if it works. :)

Back when I had a Tassimo I would do espresso all day. Got too expensive so now I just find the darkest locally roasted coffee possible and go the drip route. I'd like to get another french press since my last one was abused by my wife till it broke.

Latest posts

Back