Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Cleaners... or $$$ saving ideas.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2008, 11:58 AM   #1
Chris_Dog
Orange whip?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Cleaners... or $$$ saving ideas.

Not for the brewery but for general cleaning like the tub or shower.

I know we are all having to tighten our belt a bit because of the economy as it is. It seems like this would be a good area to save a few bucks. Bathroom cleaners in general are pretty expensive, If I could put one together from things around the house I should be able to save a few bucks.

Really... I should broaden the thread to include any $$$ saving ideas

What do you think ???

Cheers!!!
Chris

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2008, 12:48 PM   #2
will_cbe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use barkeeper's friend on my tub. It does a good job.

Will
www.comicsbyemail.com
Fermenting: Blackberry Wine
Aging: Mulberry Wine, Mint Mead, Dandelion Wine, Mesquite Mead
Drinking: Apfelwein
On Hand: Peach Mango Wine, Huck's Cider, Mulberry Mead, Orange Spice Mead, Cyser, Apfelwein, Maple Cinnamon Mead, Hard Cider, Brown Sugar Cider

Old 09-11-2008, 01:33 PM   #3
Loweface
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

My mother always claims that bleach and flash are the only two cleaners needed to clean a house. (Mammy's are always right, right? )

I do agree in part but there are times when you need a speciallised product for a specific task. If you can keep the unusual spills and cleaning tasks at bay by keeping the place scrubbed then bleach and flash it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chortly View Post
...homebrew contains more satisfactrons per serving, so you don't have to drink as much as you would a commercial beer to get to your satisfactron saturation.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:02 PM   #4
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Wow, don't even get me started, most household cleaners are about 90% water, so there is no point in buying those pre-diluted spray cleaners, huge wast of money. I have 6 - 1 liter industrial spray bottles I bought at home depot and I mix concentrated cleaners into them and than use them around the house.

One gets a cap of bleach and filled with water, very clearly labeled bleach.
One gets a half a cap of pinesol or murphys oil soap or whatever floor cleaner i have and filled with water very clearly labeled floors.
One gets a cap full of mr clean multi purpose cleaner and filled with water oddly this one isn't labeled because it is either neon green or neon orange depending on what type of stuff is in there
One gets filled with a quarter of a cap full of simple green cleaner, this is an organic all purpose cleaner, safe for use around food and other areas, one jug of this will last almost for ever.
One gets filled with a quarter of a cup of distilled vinegar and a good squirt of dish soap, another good food safe cleaner, and if you don't add the soap, you can use it for windows.
The last one gets filled with blue windshield washer fluid you buy for 99 cents a gallon at the pharmacy. The stuff you use to clean the windshield of your car is ok for glass and mirrors and such inside your apartment, not as good as windex or the vinegar, but it costs 1/5th the price for about 4 times as much.

I know some of these cleaners are a bit redundant, and I could probably get away with just the bleach bottle and the multi surface cleaner, but each one is good at cleaning a specific type of spill or mess, so I like having them around.

Also, in terms of saving more money, don't buy as many papertowels, I have many kitchen rags and cleaning rags which saves you from having to use and waste money on paper towels. There is a definite hierarchy here, and you really need to have a lot of them because they can spread germs if not properly taken care of. You would be surprised how clean you can get most surfaces with just a damp cloth.

My personal hierarchy goes like this, first they are used to dry and clean dishes, after a couple uses they are then used to wipe up counters, never again to touch the dishes, after that they are put in a bucket under the sink either to be run through the washing machine or to be used on spills on the floor. When you wash them make sure you wash them with hot water and bleach so they are sterilized and ready to touch the dishes again, sometimes before I wash them I fill the bucket they sit in with hot bleach water and let them soak for a day before going in the machine.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 09-11-2008, 04:15 PM   #5
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I have used Distilled Vinegar, Water and Ispropyl Alcohol as a general surface cleaner. Works quite well.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:23 PM   #6
jds

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

Don't forget that we all, as brewers, also have good sanitizers handy. An iodophor bucket can go a long way toward keeping your rags "sweet", as well as making a good sanitizer for cutting boards and other food contact surfaces.

For "I need a serious detergent" moments, trisodium phosphate from the paint aisle makes a super detergent. TSP is the base ingredient in a lot of dish and laundry detergent.

Also, I put my dish sponge in the microwave for a few minutes every few days. The boiling and steaming keeps nasties from growing in the sponge, and softens any goop on the microwave ceiling so it's easy to wipe off.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:42 PM   #7
srm775
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Vinegar ... buy plenty of vinegar (white distilled). If you have hardwood floors, dilute a bit with water. For the tub, mix vinegar, water and dish soap together in a spray bottle. Lots of elbow grease and a scotchbrite pad will really clean a tub.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:43 PM   #8
cellardoor
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds View Post
Also, I put my dish sponge in the microwave for a few minutes every few days. The boiling and steaming keeps nasties from growing in the sponge, and softens any goop on the microwave ceiling so it's easy to wipe off.
This does work great but under one condition. Make sure the sponge is moist!!! Otherwise it WILL burn and create a very nasty smell. Not that I would know anything about that or anything.

Cellar Door Brewery

Primary: Smoked Porter
Secondary: Flanders Red 2010
Kegged: 10.10.10, Robust Porter, American IPA

"Without algae, there would be no life on earth, the seas would be sterile and the land would be uncolonized."
-Sir David Attenborough

Old 09-14-2008, 04:35 PM   #9
Chris_Dog
Orange whip?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Great ideas guys thanks for the suggestions!

Anything I can use to replace Round Up weed killer?

Old 09-14-2008, 04:40 PM   #10
BuffaloSabresBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Dog View Post
Great ideas guys thanks for the suggestions!

Anything I can use to replace Round Up weed killer?
Motor oil and the youth's dreams of a clean earth. Just pour it right on.

Single male seeks double-jointed supermodel who owns a brewery and grows her own pot. Access to free concert tickets a plus!

Quick Reply