Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > The cigar thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2011, 08:20 PM   #1
SpanishCastleAle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Default The cigar thread

My homebrew club is having a Stout & Stogie party and I'm pretty much a cigar noob. One of the members is having a roll yer own class for $5 so I'm going to do that. Tonight I'm going to local cigar bar to buy a cigar or two and an inexpensive cutter and hopefully to learn to at least not look like such a noob with a cigar (like puking or whatever). I've smoked cigarettes for many years.

I've done some googling and about.com'ing just to be able to make this post (I'd have never known I needed a cutter or that there is a cigar bar right up the road).

How many cigars would one expect to consume at such a party?
Any recommendations on 'beginner' cigars to buy (I've got the about.com top 5 list).

I used to hate coffee...love it now.
I used to hate Scotch...love it now.
New vice for me? Just buy a $500 humidor now?

Any help/discussion appreciated...even bad Monica Lewinsky jokes.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2011, 08:26 PM   #2
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3000 Times on 2954 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I love cigars but don't get to smoke them often at all. You will probably only smoke one or two. There are already a few threads on here that have some really good ones listed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 02-16-2011, 08:28 PM   #3
jbrookeiv
Beer Review Dude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I work for a cigar company based in Miami, here's our website.

http://drewestate.com

Our ACID cigar line is one of the most popular lines for beginning smokers. Our sticks are infused with botanicals and oils which make them totally unique. Don't think of them as "flavored", because they are nothing like the piece-of-crap Phillies, etc.

If you aren't interested in infused or flavored cigars, there are tons of other choices out there. Our Chateau Real line is also very popular among new smokers, as it is a light, flavorful cigar.

Also, typically when I used to go to "herfs", the accepted name for a cigar get together, I would smoke 2-3 cigars over the course of the evening. I would invest in a humidor that holds ~100 cigars at least. When humidor marketing says it holds 100, it really means around 75.

I use a cooler to hold my many boxes of cigars, and they work incredibly well. They're airtight, and hold humidity and temperature very well. Here's an article I wrote on building my cooler humidor, called a Coolidor.

http://beerreviewdude.com/random/my-...lidor-project/

For humidification, I would use beads. The green foam that comes in normal humidors sucks, and tends to get moldy pretty quickly. Here are the beads we sell.

http://shop.drewestate.com/category/cigar-mechanic

Lastly, I would pick up a digital hygrometer, which is a unit that measures Relative Humidity in your humidor. The analog hygrometers that come built in to a lot of humidors are totally inaccurate. You can pick up a digital hygrometer from Walmart for about $6, near the thermostats.

My Beer Review Blog: Beer Review Dude
My Craft Beer Social Network: Craft Beer Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?
Primary: Belgian Pale Ale w. Brett | Saison | Mango Pulp Wine | Graff, 10 gal

Bottled / Kegged: Hopped Imperial Wheat | AK47 Pale Mild, BIAB | AHS 20th Anniv. IPA, No Chill | Apfelwein
Leftover IIPA, No Chill | All-Molasses Ale | BIAB Black IPA | BIAB Hoppy Stout | JAOM | RyePA

Old 02-16-2011, 08:38 PM   #4
kjung
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

The owner of the cigar bar should be able to suggest a good noob cigar for you. I would suggest something on the mild-medium range, say a Macanudo, rather than a full-bodied. I spent way too many years of my youth smoking bad Mexican/ditch weed, and even that didn't prepare me for a full-bodied cigar.

Also, since you've been a cigarette smoker, remember one VERY important thing...DON'T INHALE!!!

Find a good stout to go along with your cigar. I've had Goose Island's Bourbon County, or my own Bourbon Oatmeal Stout hold up very well to a cigar.

Be careful what you wish for, friend, 'cause I've been to Hell, and now I'm back again- Steve Earle

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-
Albert Einstein

"Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism -- how passionately I hate them!"- Einstein, again

Old 02-16-2011, 08:43 PM   #5
jbrookeiv
Beer Review Dude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjung View Post
The owner of the cigar bar should be able to suggest a good noob cigar for you. I would suggest something on the mild-medium range, say a Macanudo, rather than a full-bodied.
I agree, but I'd STRONGLY recommend avoiding Macanudos, they taste like absolutely nothing. Not a good example of a good cigar at all. I would avoid the mass produced cigars in general. Macanudos are like the Budweiser of the cigar world. It's technically beer, but not many people would consider it delicious, flavorful beer.

Quote:
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?

Bottled / Kegged: Hopped Imperial Wheat | AK47 Pale Mild, BIAB | AHS 20th Anniv. IPA, No Chill | Apfelwein
Leftover IIPA, No Chill | All-Molasses Ale | BIAB Black IPA | BIAB Hoppy Stout | JAOM | RyePA

Old 02-16-2011, 09:26 PM   #6
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
New vice for me? Just buy a $500 humidor now?
Start looking into wine coolers that you'll convert into humidors so you can maintain perfect temperature along with humidity down there in Floriduh for all of those boxes of legitimate Cubans you order from (censored) and wait with sweaty palms for them to sneak through customs to your front door. Then there's the dreaded CC bill...

Old 02-16-2011, 09:27 PM   #7
jbrookeiv
Beer Review Dude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief_Brewing View Post
Start looking into wine coolers that you'll convert into humidors so you can maintain perfect temperature along with humidity down there in Floriduh for all of those boxes of legitimate Cubans you order from (censored) and wait with sweaty palms for them to sneak through customs to your front door. Then there's the dreaded CC bill...
Yup, yup. Also, stay away from CigarBid.com. It is possibly the most addictive auction site on the face of the earth.

Quote:

Old 02-16-2011, 09:29 PM   #8
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6253 Times on 5427 Posts
Likes Given: 803

Romeo y Julieta No. 4; preferrably cuban, but dominican is okay....

Old 02-16-2011, 09:34 PM   #9
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3000 Times on 2954 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrookeiv View Post
Yup, yup. Also, stay away from CigarBid.com. It is possibly the most addictive auction site on the face of the earth.
Couldn't agree with that more. You will blow through money quicker than you can imagine on there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 02-16-2011, 09:37 PM   #10
commonsenseman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

As it'll be your first time, I'd hold back a little & keep it to 1-2 cigars. It tends to creep up on you & you'll go from feeling a little uneasy to puking in very little time. I would try to find some good cigars in the mild-med range, I agree Macanudos taste like nothing. An Acid is a great way to start if you don't mind a little extra sweetness, personally I enjoy them as a change of pace.

The list of beginner cigars is ok, but you definitely don't have to spend very much to get good tasting cigars. One of my favorite brands (Indian Tabac) makes very cheap cigars that are excellent.

If you get into it, no need to go crazy & buy an expensive humidor. As noted above a cooler with some beads works wonders, it takes all the guesswork out of keeping cigars (I recommend the 65% beads).

Also, I've heard the Liga Privada line (made by Drew Estate) is excellent, just haven't had a chance to to try one myself yet.

Last note, I smoked cigars for about 5 years & have almost entirely converted to smoking a pipe now. I enjoy both immensely. Both pair very well with beer.

Sounds like fun, have a good time!

Quick Reply