Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Cigar Storage, Repair & Maintenance???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2009, 06:06 PM   #1
Schlenkerla
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Cigar Storage, Repair & Maintenance???

OK - I'm getting ready to move, packing up boxes emptying out a desk and low and behold I found two boxes of cigars plus a large bag of panatelas!

They are all dry as fricken hell.

Question: Are they garbage or can they be rehydrated?

Obviously, I'm not a big cigar guy, I slowed down on the smoking once I started brewing. Frankly, I totally forgot about these.

The two boxes are a mixed variety of 2nds from Thompsons. The sizes are coronas, lonsdales, churchills and robustos and bag of panatelas have a Sumatra label.

Thanks!!!!

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2009, 06:12 PM   #2
FireNightFly
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Find a jar that leaves enough top room to fit a piece of a wet spunge on the inside of the lid. CLose them in together and slowly they should rehydrate. No gurantee on having that original taste, but is still smokable and better than wasting.

For future use of cigar boxes, you can turn each on into a small humidor with a strip of velcro and sponges.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:20 PM   #3
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Assuming they're worth keeping... "seconds" (technically there's no such thing, they're really cigars rolled by novice rollers and with lower quality tobaccos) from Thompson?... questionable.

You can bring them back. Just re-humidify them slowly in a humidor. Whatever device you use for moisture (e.g., florist foam), add water slowly. Start out with a little and increase the water amount by a little bit every few days. If you have a hygrometer, you can monitor it. Also, put blocks or thin sheets of spanish cedar (come in many premium cigar boxes) to absorb excess moisture.

If the wrappers crack, you can repair them with pectin.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 09-15-2009, 07:49 PM   #4
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by menschmaschine View Post
Assuming they're worth keeping... "seconds" (technically there's no such thing, they're really cigars rolled by novice rollers and with lower quality tobaccos) from Thompson?... questionable.

You can bring them back. Just re-humidify them slowly in a humidor. Whatever device you use for moisture (e.g., florist foam), add water slowly. Start out with a little and increase the water amount by a little bit every few days. If you have a hygrometer, you can monitor it. Also, put blocks or thin sheets of spanish cedar (come in many premium cigar boxes) to absorb excess moisture.

If the wrappers crack, you can repair them with pectin.
I thought that these were various name brands that had rolling defects, not good enough for the brand label. Essentially its a kind of like generic cigar. I don't know if 2nd's is the right term for these. They were reduced, I split a big order with my FIL. He seem to like these.

I'm gonna find a nice jar to re-humidify these things. If they suck after a month or so no big deal. These are several years old so it won't be a big loss for that matter.

BTW - My humidor is full that's why these are dry as hell.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Quick Reply