Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Chit-Chat for Orrelse

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2005, 02:05 AM   #21
DesertBrew
You're not my type
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Well, with the previous 2 posts it’s a good segue for me. I’m 43 years old, born and raised in the Milwaukee area. Yep, huge Packer fan as well and as soon as the season draws near that Avatar is going to be changing… Married and have two kids. The eldest boy is in the Air Force at Langley AFB, VA doing imagery analysis (Where Orrelse and Sam are right?) and a daughter who’ll be a senior next fall. Still have family back in WI and visit about once a year.

I moved to Tucson almost eight years ago as I was sick and tired of shoveling and sub-zero winters. Now a nice day is a cloudy day . I live a bit out of town from Tucson and have a passion for killing friggin rattle snakes if they happen into my yard which seems to be 4+ times a year. Never did have that problem in WI other than an occasional squirrel with an attitude. I do miss a basement with this hobby though!

I’m a computer geek by trade (IT Director) for a company called Ecolab in the automotive cleaning sector. Been brewing beer since Jan of 05 but have been drinking it a wee bit longer. I just finished hack sawing 100+ slots in my copper manifold (while enjoying a nice HB Hefe) and am having my 1st All Grain brew day next weekend. Expect some posts after that adventure!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2005, 02:41 AM   #22
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertBrew
The eldest boy is in the Air Force at Langley AFB, VA doing imagery analysis (Where Orrelse and Sam are right?) and a daughter who’ll be a senior next fall. Still have family back in WI and visit about once a year.
Yep, that's where we are. You still need to pass on his # one of these days so he can come on over and try some fine homebrew!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtfan99
....which led me to adopt the Packers as my NFL team.
We need to get together during the season!!! You aren't too far away! I have NFL Sunday Ticket and my 2 neighbors are both Packer fans so every Sunday is a big party!!!! I usually do brats and german potato salad for gamedays. This year will be the first year I have homebrew so I'm trying to come up with a nice "Gameday Guzzler" recipe just for Sundays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtfan99
I really think I belong in Wisconsin cause I absolutely love Beer, cheese, and bratwurst....what more is there?
My ultimate plan is to move back to Wisconsin--I just miss it. The people are nicer, the place is just damn beautiful, and it's the BEER STATE!!!! DUH!!!!
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 06-27-2005, 02:59 AM   #23
DesertBrew
You're not my type

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Orrelse,
Hey I'm coming out to visit him probably in mid-late sep timeframe. Could work this through a Packer Sunday thing along with some homebrew. No matter where I am I'm watching NFL on sundays...

Old 06-27-2005, 03:37 AM   #24
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertBrew
Orrelse,
Hey I'm coming out to visit him probably in mid-late sep timeframe. Could work this through a Packer Sunday thing along with some homebrew. No matter where I am I'm watching NFL on sundays...
Holy crap! Sounds awesome.... Keep in touch!
Shoot...we should do a commemorative brewday!!! We'll come up with a recipe and do it as a group!
If you need anything, let me know--I can tell you good places to stay and stuff......
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 06-27-2005, 12:25 PM   #25
loopmd

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well, I'm not in the Armed Forces, nor am I from Wisconsin, but I'll chime in none-the-less.

I'm 36 years old, married 15 years, have 2 girls ages 13 and 10. Live in Omaha, Nebraska and work as a production manager for a window treatment company. Born and raised in Nebraska, so like you Cheeseheads, I can relate to the fall and football. Got into homebrewing about 3 years ago and heard about this site from another passion of mine...jeeping. I usually lurk on this site a few times a day and have learned so much! Keep up the great site and thanks for all the help.

cheers, dave

Old 06-27-2005, 01:19 PM   #26
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Did I mention I'm going back to Germany in 2 weeks (July 10-23 - my B'day is the 22d)? I'll be there for 2 weeks modifying 120mm Mortars.

I'll be in about 8-10 cities and sampling all the local brews in my off time.

Old 06-27-2005, 02:23 PM   #27
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
So you are French? Brian of Rouen.

I spent 2 days in Rouen. Very nice city. They have a couple of large churches there.
Yep! My family came from Rouen, France through Nova Scotia, Canada to southwest Louisiana. We're Cajun French. Strangely enough, there are no more DeRouen's in Rouen? My Aunt has been working on a family tree for years, but record keeping was so bad in SW LA. Most records were kept through the church, so grammar is bad, names misspelled, etc. But, it's cool stuff.

Funny how we all have so much in common. I LIVE for football! Texas A&M Aggies (season ticket holder for 12 years), and huge Houston Texans fan (hated the Oilers!). Gotta have the sausage, slaw, and potato salad on gamedays w/ good homebrew (we do Zummo's creole sausage. Localy made in Beaumont, TX!) Do like the Pack though, and love Favre! Just have to dig the competitor in him.

Good stuff here gang. Glad to get to know everyone and keep it up!

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Last edited by DeRoux's Broux; 06-27-2005 at 02:26 PM.

Old 06-27-2005, 03:37 PM   #28
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

tim masterson. i'm 28, 29 in september. i have a wife and a lovely daughter who falls into the hellion category too, she's four. i manage a small store of rental cars in fort wayne indiana. if you need a ride when your in town, come see me. got my degree in history and criminal justice, so naturally i went into the customer service sector... grew up in cleveland ohio in an irish catholic household, most of my family is still there, and they are still irish and catholic.

been brewing since last december, when a kit arrived on my porch from my little brother. i'd talked about it for a while, but never did anything to get started.

in april i started all grain brewing and am having a blast, though i don't get too technical with og and fg and all that jazz. i couldn't tell you anything about the stats of my beers, just how they taste and which ones i like better... i'm lucky i can figure out my mash equations

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 06-27-2005, 05:56 PM   #29
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeRoux's Broux
Yep! My family came from Rouen, France through Nova Scotia, Canada to southwest Louisiana. We're Cajun French. Strangely enough, there are no more DeRouen's in Rouen?
Not making fun or putting your origin down.

The problem of locating "DeRouen's" in Rouen is because there probably never were any "DeRouen's" in Rouen because it means "from Rouen". Anyone already living there would have no reason to say they were from there if they were already there. Now, there may be "DeRouens" living in other parts of France because they would want everyone to know where they came from in France, say if you were in Marsailles (French - MAR-say, English - MAR- sell-esz) you would say you were Brian "de Rouen". Now, it makes sense, but not if you were in Rouen because EVERYONE would be a "de Rouen".

My point is many, many people who came to the "New
World" said they "came from" a country, county, city, or occupation, or whatever and used that "name" as a last name. "DeRouen" from Rouen, "Cooper" someone who make barrels, "Schmit, Schmidt, Smyth, or just plain old Smith" were all worker of metal.

In Germany, "Frankfurt" is where the Franks crossed the river (-furt means "crossing"). A "Frankfurter" is a man from Frankfurt, a woman would be called a "Frankfurterine" (reen). Same goes for Hamburg.

Using this same logic, a "Budweiser" is "someone or something from" the town or area around Budweis, the German spelling/pronunciation of the town of Ceske Budejovice, in the Czech Republic. I've been there several times and drank the original Budvar beer.

Many of the cities in the States are named after the cities (in Europe) that the original European settlers came from. It was used as a means of identifying their origin, language and customs. For instance, Germantown, PA, Aberdeen (Scotland), MD; Florida is Spanish for "Flower".

There are thousands of places named like this as well as people.

So ends lesson number 543283 in a series of.....

I'd hate to bring this up, but many people (who didn't want to be found in the new world) changed their names to avoid the law, etc. I'm not saying any of your ancestors are in this catagory, but it could be the case for many of us. That's what makes the hunt so frustrating. Then there's the changing of the spelling, etc.

Happy genealogy searching!!! Good luck. Later.

Old 06-27-2005, 07:34 PM   #30
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

i leave all that mess to my aunt (retired teacher!). i just get the latest when i see her at holidays........

thanks for the history lesson though! :~)

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Quick Reply