Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Chit-Chat for Orrelse

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2005, 04:27 PM   #1
DeRoux's Broux
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Chit-Chat for Orrelse

alrighty! Orrelse wants a little more general chit-chat, so here goes. we've been swaping sud's tips and techniques for a while, but we don't know too much about each other. let's list what we do for a living, how old we are, hobbies, married, single, kids, and our favorite beer to brew, etc.

i'll go first:
i'm 32 years old, been brewing for 6 years now (all-grain now). born and raised in Beaumont, Texas and lived in Dallas and Houston for a while after my first marriage was under way. now i'm back home and re-married, no kids, only a awesome boxer named Batist. i'm a regional manager for an environmental consulting company out of houston, with a degree in Occupational Safety and Health from Lamar University in Beaumont. we do groundwater, wastewater, industrial hygiene personnel exposure assessments, env. site assessments, etc. been doing that for 11 years and HATE IT! i'd love to be scrapping spent hops out of a hot kettle somewhere, and riding a mountain bike to work everyday........screw $2.05 for a gallon of gas!
anyway, i dig cooking homemade pizza's (homemade dough of course!), boiling crawfish for the families, smoking ribs and pulled pork, the blues and kick-your-ass rock 'n roll.

i even had my 15 minutes of fame. probably more like 2 minutes! when i bought my first Harley (used '91 FXR) i joined the Harley Owners Group. the next monday at work, i got a fax saying i was the 500,000 member to join. it was cool. they sent a photographer down, did a photo shoot for 3 days, put me on the cover of Hog Tails (HOG monthly mag), shipped my bike, my wife and I to Milwaukee for the National rally, gave me a killer HD jacket, treated us like royalty the whole time we where there (drank some good beer there too!).i brew 5 gallon batches with a Rubbermaid cooler maush/lauter tank set-up, and do ales and lagers. don't have a favorite brew. depends on my mood that day, 'cause i like 'em all!

i think it's pretty damn cool how we all come together, with a common goal to brew beer and gain knowledge of brewing. i'd get a kick out of meeting everyone and trying some of everyone's beer. talk about a hoot!

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2005, 05:00 PM   #2
rsitzejr
Recipes 

Guess I'll go next since I'm pretty new here.

I'm 40 yrs old, widower with 2 kids, got remarried about 5 years ago. Kids were very happy, I made a lousy mom. Originally from NM, TX area, spent 9 years in the Navy working on boilers and playing policeman, got out and moved to NC. I now do desktop support for Cisco. (I fix laptops and printers that people spill soda's in, and sometimes beer). My other hobbies include collecting/restoring straight razors, and yes, I do use one to shave with, and rock crawling/off roading with our jeeps. Current project is rebuilding a friends Toyota FJ40 into a rock crawling buggy.

I started brewing about 4 years ago, quit because I hated bottleing, my wife just bought me a kegerator and kegging setup for fathers day so I'm back into brewing and looking forward to learning more.

DeRoux's Broux, I wish I paid only $2.05 for gas, but my truck is diesel and it's running $2.29 here. And I love Crawfish. I look forward to visiting family in LA just to get some.

Rob
Jeeps, straight razors, and BEER

Old 06-24-2005, 05:20 PM   #3
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I was in LA last week. Alexandria, Ft. Polk and Nawlins'.

My turn...I’m 50yo. I’ve been brewing since 1993. I won Best of Style and Best of Show with a German-Style Hefe Weizen in a local HB Contest in 1997. Happily married. I have 3 stepdaughters (we don’t use the "step" word in our house), 6 grandkids and 3 greatgrandkids with another one due in a couple of weeks. I’ve been working for the Federal Gov’t for over 31 years. I started in the Army in ’72 and became a civilian in 1980. I started working as a Gov’t civilian in 1981. I have just over 4 years to retirement. My specialty is Army weapons. Actually the use and maintenance and instructing of all pistols, rifles, grenade launchers, machine guns, mine dispensers/clearers, helicopter armament, artillery (towed and SP), and some limited Bradley and M1 Abrams Tank experience. Right now I work on the M109A6 Paladin, 155mm Self-Propelled Howitzer out of Rock Island, IL. I used to be a Logistics Assistance Representative and deployed to Kosovo several times (with the 1st ID and 82nd Airborne). I was supposed to go to Iraq, but refurese the Anthrax shot as it being ILLEGAL. We won our court case earlier this year. Now the Army made them voluntary. Cut off my 3rd ponytail (about 16 inches) last year. I’m originally from NJ, but have lived in several other States: PA, NC (3X), IL (2X), CA, OK and TX. I also lived in Germany (2X) for a combined period of 9 years. I’ve vacationed in 49 States (missing Alaska), most of southern Canada, been to the Caribbean (3-5X), most of the Western and some Eastern European countries as well as Turkey (technically Asia) and Korea. Yes, I have sampled more than my fair share of the local brews ever place I’ve been. Yes, I admit it - I’ve had a fantastic life so far. I’ve also been playing guitar since 1971. I have 5 of them to include my ’76 Fender Telecaster Deluxe and several Strats, several amps and about a dozen pedals. I like ‘70s-‘80s rock and So Rock mostly. I’ve been in several bands in NJ and NC. I used to be a long distance runner (4:14 mile) until a mountain climbing accident in Germany. there's a bunch of other things too, but my memory is going too....

But, enough about me………………………..

Last edited by homebrewer_99; 06-24-2005 at 06:00 PM.

Old 06-24-2005, 06:07 PM   #4
2nd Street Brewery

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Okay here goes. I'm 47 married with two step kids(one of each) Sean resently discharged from marines after a tour in Iraq at the start of the war and Jennifer is currently there with the 2nd MEU. One grandson (aside to HB99, I thought Iwas bad being a grandfather at 45 but great's at 50 Whew). I started brewing a cuople of years ago when my wife and stepdaughter bought me a kit for Christmas. Was kind of slow but starting to pick up steam now that I am getting involved with the forums. I like to bowl and play golf when my back lets me and guess I am what you would call a Sci-Fi geek. I do tech support for the network of a large national bank here in Albany NY. Hope to see if there are more homebrewers from my area as it seems the majority are from the south(you guys are lucky, you can brew outdoors in the winter, hard to do up here in 3 feet of snow)

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then to speak and remove all doubt.

Old 06-24-2005, 06:46 PM   #5
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsitzejr
And I love Crawfish. I look forward to visiting family in LA just to get some.
cool stuff! i wondered where the straight razor bit ame into play from your signature. i must admit, it's the first time i've heard of that as a hobby. pretty cool
where in LA is your family at? most my family came from Jennings, LA. really, all down the IH-10 corridor from Beaumont, TX to Baton Rouge.

HB99, wow! that's a cooool job. i'm not a military guy, but i dig all that hardware! and yes, sounds like you've had a good one so far!

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Old 06-24-2005, 07:06 PM   #6
rsitzejr
Recipes 

Baton Rouge, I haven't been down to visit in years though.

Rob

Old 06-24-2005, 07:28 PM   #7
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsitzejr
Baton Rouge, I haven't been down to visit in years though.
Well, I was through BR twice last week.... on my way from/to Nawlins'. I dropped my wife off to spend a couple of days with her sister (Chalmette) while I went to Ft. Polk to mod some 120mm Mortars. Ugh! 97F with a heat index of 107!

Old 06-24-2005, 07:36 PM   #8
rsitzejr
Recipes 

Let me know when you come to Fort Bragg, I'm 45 mins from there.

Rob

Old 06-24-2005, 07:52 PM   #9
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Been through Sanford (Rte. 421) many times on my way to Bragg.

I was at Bragg for Christmas (vacation) and again 2 weeks later on TDY.

I was stationed at Bragg 3X (73-74, 79-80, 97-99).

Old 06-24-2005, 08:25 PM   #10
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

i forgot to mention my name in my post, Brian DeRouen.

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Quick Reply