Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Changing Spark Plugs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012, 04:10 AM   #1
Kittyfeet
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Default Changing Spark Plugs

My little Nissan Sentra turned 100k miles a few weeks ago, and it's time to either get her serviced or do some of the stuff myself.

At the moment, I'm opting to learn more about the car and do a few things myself. First off is changing the spark plugs. It costs an arm and a leg to have it done, and the entire interwebs says it's an easy thing to do.

I'm here to prove the interwebs wrong.

I ordered some spark plugs (NGK Iridiums to those interested), and a GearWrench spark plug socket, which I foolishly thought would fit our crappy ratchet set. It doesn't. I spent a few minutes looking at the socket end with the square hole, and then looking at the broken ratchet with the round peg, and wondering how I could get them to fit together. No ideas struck.

So my first step is to buy a ratchet set that will fit this 5/8 socket. Which one do I buy? Will any GearWrench ratchet in a set do the trick? Do I need one that's 5/8?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 04:13 AM   #2
Tex
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The socket is a 3/8" drive for a 5/8" spark plug. Buy a 3/8" ratchet wrench. I'd also buy an extension for ease.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:21 AM   #3
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2521 Times on 1478 Posts
Likes Given: 5683

IIRC a spark plug socket just means it's deep enough to fit the spark plug in and still make it to the nut type portion that you actually apply the torque to, so really nothing special when compared to a normal socket. If you have a ratchet with a round peg, I'd say you have very worn out ratchet. As long as the drive size (size of the peg) on the ratchet is the same as the square hole on the socket you're good to go.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 11-07-2012, 04:35 AM   #4
turvis
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts

Spark plug sockets have a rubber piece inside the socket that holds on to the spark plug for when you put it in and take it out. What year sentra is it.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #5
jgln
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I used to change plugs myself years ago when there seemed to be more room in the engine compartment but I tried changing them ONCE on my pickup truck and I am done with it. Have fun though, good to learn about your car but for me these days I can find better things to spend my time on. So when I do put it in the shop, it is not just to have the plugs changed, I'll have other work done too so it worth it to me for that time spent.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:34 AM   #6
estricklin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 99

I have an associates degree in automotive technology and even I hate changing spark plugs haha. Of coarse I don't work as a mechanic anymore and haven't in years, but yep still hate it.

Any 3/8 ratchet will do, for the money I'd buy Stanely but that's just personal preference.

Try to change the spark plugs when the engine is cool, also start them back by hand. If you cross thread one, you will have BIG problems.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #7
Conan
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If/ when you try to take the boots off (thicker rubber connecting the plug wire to the plug) and it's stuck, don't yank on the wire itself. On my truck I've had instances in which Vise-Grip pliers were required to take the boots off- though that is definitely not recommended. Once you are able to remove and change the plugs, apply some dialectric grease to the top, above-the-white part of the plug. It'll help for next time you do this. The grease is available wherever plugs are sold and may also be called spark plug grease or similar. Good luck! Kyle

Old 11-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #8
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Might want to double check the gap on your new plugs also!! 3 of my 6 were not correct the last time I did mine..

Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

Old 11-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #9
Tex
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 7

They make pliers specifically for removing spark plug boots. Get a pair or those if you can't get a firm grip on the boots with your fingers, as someone said earlier do not pull on the wires themselves.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:03 PM   #10
dkwolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Also, buy a tube of copper anti-sieze lubricant. Helps keep the plugs from corroding into the block. If you've got an air compressor (or even just a can of compressed air), once you remove the boot and "break" the plug loose, shoot some air down the hole BEFORE removing the plug. In essence trying to blow any dust/dirt out of the plug hole before it drops into the cylinder. ALWAYS check the gap on the plugs before you install them (you'll need a feeler gauge or spark plug gap tool - commonly available for about $5, if that). Gap all your new plugs before you get started, and put a thin coat of anti-sieze on the threads of the plugs.

As has been said, always start the plugs by hand -- and "by hand", I mean seat them in the spark plug socket, attach the extension if needed (most likely will be), and tighten hand-tight before you put the wrench on. It's really important once you start with the wrench that you make sure to keep it in line with the plug - it's easier than you might think to snap the ceramic top off, and then you've got a problem as well.

(For that reason, I always buy my plugs locally, in case I bust one I can run to the store and pick it up)

Depending on the layout of your engine compartment, you may need a couple extensions, and possibly a knuckle. Or, worst case, if it's a V-6 mounted sideways, you might have to loosen the engine mounts and 'rock' the engine forward to get at the back-side plugs.

Good luck!

Quick Reply