The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > car and trailer or truck for home owner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
BrokenArmBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default car and trailer or truck for home owner

So the title says it all. I have a truck that gets me 15 MPG, and a charger that gets the same. The value of the truck is worth what a newly used car with great MPG. I'm looking to go title for title.

Now as a home owner I Luke to have the bed for small light duty hauling, but I can't justify that by wasting $ every day I don't haul with it. My thought was to get a fuel efficient car and slap a 5 x 10 trailer on the charger. I don't have the trailer, or a hitch, so instant fuel savings would be a year out......

SWMBO is fighting back all guns blazing. But has yet to give me valid points. Am I on a pipe dream here? She says she would consider it if no money was to be exchanged...

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants up to be happy"

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Br...06422039446902

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1900 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

I kind of agree with you. If you can do it even swap it might be worth it. Do you owe on either of them?

We have a 15 MPG Durango (if we're lucky) and I'd love to trade it in for a small MPG car, but we also currently have a 25' RV that we pull with it. Until we can trade the V in for a smaller one, I don't really want to get rid of it.

But, I also have a Cherokee that can pull my utility trailer, so dumping the larger truck makes sense in gas money. My friend just posted a picture of her 2011 (maybe 2012...) Ford Focus SEL getting 48 MPG on the way home from our place. Highway miles.

Our Druango would cost roughly $31 to drive that far at 13 MPG (closer to our average MPG). Her Focus would cost $8.84 using $3.40 per gallon, and assuming 45 MPG.

Of course our Durango can fit more cargo, but if could probably make do if we had to. And since we both work less than 2 miles from home, the savings in daily use would not make a huge difference in our expenses. Just the plan for when we decide to replace the truck.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 286 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 195

So getting rid of the charger is out of the question? To me, that is the most useless vehicle in the fleet. Trade that for a fuel-sipper, keep the truck for runs to the lumber store on the weekend.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
AMonkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 336 Times on 323 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
So getting rid of the charger is out of the question? To me, that is the most useless vehicle in the fleet. Trade that for a fuel-sipper, keep the truck for runs to the lumber store on the weekend.
This. We just bought a new pickup because we hated not having one as a homeowner. If you get rid of the pickup, you will probably regret it. But we do a lot of shopping on short notice and combined with other errands, so pulling a trailer all around town would suck. I just wouldn't want the added hassle.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:03 PM   #5
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 254 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 1156

I can't imagine not having a 4x4 truck in the driveway, even if it only gets driven once a week! My solution:

Keep the truck and buy a cheap civic or corolla to get the mpg's. I'm actually saving money on insurance by having a cheap beater car listed as my "commute vehicle" on my insurance policy and the $1,000 I paid for the car has paid for itself in fuel savings about once a year over driving the truck to work!

If you can do your own car maintenance and have the driveway space then a cheap beater car is definitely the way to go.

Next up: English Pale Ale (ESB)
Primary 1&2: White Zombie (Amarillo IPA)
Primary 3&4: Summer Kolsch
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Amber Rain (Dry Hopped Amber Ale), SM Belgian Golden Strong

Old 11-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
Camping57
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

What is the trailer rating for the Charger? I think you might find that it is not even rated for towing. I would keep the truck. Every time that I run all the numbers; depreciation, insurance, repairs and then fuel cost, I find out that my payback for switching to a more fuel efficient car is several years out (if ever, is what I found on a Prius). Fuel is only one small portion of car ownership.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:08 PM   #7
BrokenArmBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Getting rid of the charger WOULD be the smart option. SWMBO will never give up her V8 Hemi. We used to have a s10 and gave it up, made the worst car choice ever, an eclipse spyder. Had it 6 months and now have this truck.

I do our own maintenance, but just hate the gas pumps. Really its a winter problem, and rainy day problems.

When the weather us nice I take the 45 MPG motorcycle to work, summer rain makes that a tough ride...
Maybe she is right. (if she could read this lol)

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants up to be happy"

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Br...06422039446902

Old 11-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #8
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 286 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 195

You drive the truck at 15 mpg, your wife drives her charger at 15 mpg. Who has drives farther?

Actually, it sounds like your wife is on the wrong end of things here, but she isn't willing to listen to reason or you aren't willing to reason with her.

So bye-bye truck.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:46 PM   #9
IXVolt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I personally drive a little beater gas sipper, and my big diesel 4x4 sits under cover at home. but when I need to haul gravel, rock, firewood, move friends/family etc. it is soooo worth it. Even though I don't drive my truck but a few times a month, I'd be lost without it.

Things I would consider,

Would SWMBO actually let you put a hitch on (her?) car. A lot of times they look kind of crappy IMHO.
Can a trailer/car tow what you usually do with the truck?
Do you camp? pull a boat, other things with the truck?

Do you have friends with trucks? I have lots of friends that can borrow mine, they just put fuel in it.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #10
PapsD
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

Keep the truck. Cars suck. The bike balances out the mpgs of the truck. Besides the used car market is terrible right now.

Do you have a payment on either vehicle?

Is it killing you at the pump financially or existentially?

Quick Reply