Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Car Tire question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013, 07:17 PM   #11
Cider123
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yes, some of the brands sounded strange to me. I found one place that sells mostly Cooper tires. At least I've heard of them and the treads look pretty decent for all seasons. They are the ones I'm thinking of now. The 40,000 is $90 and the 65,000 is $115 each plus balancing and other nickle and dimes. I am a pretty average style driver. All my traveling is on paved country roads. But, our winters can be harsh. I need an all season tread for winter. Although I did ok today in the beginning of a blizzard and my tires are almost bald.

I like beer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 11:48 PM   #12
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I honestly never buy "new" tires. The last 3 sets I have bought have been from craigslist. It's worth a look before buying new tires. One set was $600 on tirerack and they were still new and had the stickers on them for $250. The other set maybe had 10,000 miles on them for $150. Just another option to think about.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:21 AM   #13
whoaru99
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Used is what I did for my last set of truck tires. $100 for all four, still on the factory aluminum wheels. Granted, they are only about 50-60% tread and more of a highway-style vs. all-terrain, but suits my current needs at one heck of a lot less cost.

Primary: Pre-prohibition Lager
Secondary: Russian Imperial Stout
Drinking: Chinook IPA
Drinking: Waldo Lake Amber
Drinking: Edwort's Apfelwein

Old 02-09-2013, 02:11 AM   #14
dkwolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 47

That is one option - a independent garage about a mile from my office buys "day off" tires - people that buy a new car, and the first thing they do is take it in and get new tires put on. They can't sell the original tires as new, because they've been mounted and driven, so he buys them at a discount and sells them in his shop. Lot of the tires he's selling have less than 20 miles on them.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:58 AM   #15
wolfstar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 106

I too, was a tire buster when I was younger. Changed a lot and sold a lot of tires.

If you want to be anal. take the dot number on the tire you are looking at and look it up on the internet. an off brand tire can be identified as to who the manufacturer is with this info. Most major tire retailers salespeople seem to be on commission. the first tire they try to sell you will be the one with the highest profit margin. Hankook, Khumho, Nitto, Toyo, all seem to be excellent for the most part.

I have had horrible luck with firestones on 3 of my vehicles that came with firestones from the factory. A 92 Ford Explorer with the infamous ATX tire, Firestone Destinations on my Tacoma lasted less than 15000 miles before they were literally falling apart. And the Firestone Firehawk GTA2 on my wife's Acura had serious sidewall splitting and cracking after less than 20,000 miles resulting in a blowout.

You pay for the name in a Goodyear or a Michelin. But Cooper is made by Goodyear, and a decent tire. Falkens generally suck from what I have seen (and they are made by Firestone).

Funny you posted this as I went to battle with Firestone last week over the tires on my wife's Acura. They ended up cutting me a check after I purchased another brand of tire ( all 4) when we found sidewall failures on all 4 firestones.

Hate to say this, but Walmart tires are not all that bad. I have gotten some amazing mileage on their Uniroyal Liberator tires on my Tacoma. This truck spends a fair amount of time off road. Without rotating the tires at all, I got 75000 miles on the rears, and the fronts are still in the safe treadwear stage at 117,000 miles Changing the fronts in a month or two before monsoon season hits, new ones on the rear and rears to the front.

Do some shopping, it will save you!!!

Check out Hidden Valley Wolfdog Sanctuary on facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hidden-Valley-Wolfdog-Sanctuary/182770901746380

Working to save unwanted Wolfdogs from euthenasia, and educating the public about the joys and trials of Wolfdog and other exotic canid companionship.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #16
whoaru99
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Funny how things work sometimes. Firestone gets a bad rap but their current Wilderness AT seems to be a pretty good (truck) tire and the Firestone Firehawk SZ50 I put on my Z/28 several years ago are a way better riding and performing tire than the Goodyear Gatorbacks were.

Currently have a set of Hankook on my Impala. So far (~20k miles) they've been good tires and look like they should go quite a few more miles. Way better than the Goodyear Integrity that came on the car.

Primary: Pre-prohibition Lager
Secondary: Russian Imperial Stout
Drinking: Chinook IPA
Drinking: Waldo Lake Amber
Drinking: Edwort's Apfelwein

Old 02-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #17
PapsD
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

I'd go with the 40k mile cooper's. I had two put on the front wheels of the Ford Taurus I had in highschool and drove in conditions similar to yours. They got me through a couple northern Illinois winters before I sold the car. Never had a problem in the snow and ice.

They were on sale @ farm and fleet which is why I bought them. But I wouldn't hesitate to put a set of cooper's on a vehicle.

Junkyards have tires and rims for cheap if your really hard up.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #18
bnmir
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Higher mileage tires generally have worse performance,particularly in snow and ice. Tire racks owner ratings and reviews are a good reaource.

Fast Dogs Brooing

Old 02-09-2013, 05:28 PM   #19
Cider123
Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks everyone. The Cooper place will price match anyone in the area with a lower price for the 40,000's. I'll try to get the price down and then buy the Coopers.

I like beer

Old 02-12-2013, 01:38 AM   #20
jpc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts

Speaking generally, the higher the wear rating, the harder the tire (with all else being equal, which it pretty much never is). That translates directly into less grip, which means less safety (under braking, when turning, etc.).

Quick Reply