Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Candida (yeast overgrowth) internally - men are not suppose to look pregnant.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2013, 04:10 PM   #1
HBC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 73

Default Candida (yeast overgrowth) internally - men are not suppose to look pregnant.

I am hoping for some insight and for some respectful replies here- if the subject matter is too serious for you, please find another post to jab at.

However, I cannot imagine that I am the only one concerned with internal yeast growth. I would suspect the recent issues have been due to my past year obsession with making and partaking in homebrew.

First, the nutshell in my layman's terms: Candida yeast growth inside humans bodies is normal in low levels and your body can control overgrowth- from what I have read. Sugar, as we all know, grows yeast. Alcohol/beer/bread - the things we all love are some major culprits. The yeast makes your stomach and digestive system a home, and grows. We all know what happens when yeast grows. Stomach aches, bloating, flatulence, loose stool are all obvious responses- and some theorize that there are many more issues internally that folks face as a result... bottom line, it is an issue.

As I watched informational videos about how to brew over the years, I could not help but notice how many men look pregnant! I have done so myself in the past few months- without much weight gain beyond my average.

After eating, or partaking in a favorite beverage, I feel bloated/light headed/lethargic. And (graphic) I saw yeast in my stool yesterday which pushed me to this research.

Some say this is a form of IBS- but other physicians have labeled this as a systematic yeast infection. It is serious enough for me to have done the research and now I am hoping that others here have some insight.

Let it be known that I do not want to give up my hobby. I have 5-kegs on tap right now!!! oh-what to do??? I am hoping that folks here have learned how to deal with it, feel comfortable/healthy, and not look like a pregnant man.

It seems that if I focus on getting the yeast build up under control- I can reintroduce sugary food/beer in moderation. Many times, recent antibiotic treatments can kill your beneficial bacterial which keeps the yeast/fungus issues under control. That would be me after a spat of pneumonia.

Any words of wisdom on how I can have my cake (& beer) and eat (drink) it too?

Fermenter 1: redFLYER (IRISH RED)
Fermenter 2: plainJANE (Summer brew)
Keg 1: redFLYER (IRISH RED)
Keg 2: WHER DID IT GOO?
Keg 3: ALL GONE-- oops!
Gallons under my belt since starting this hobby? 200

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #2
Frige
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well you could always pasteurize the beer.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:36 PM   #3
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yogurt with active cultures are often recomended to people who are taking antibodics to bring up their natural bacteria count. Perhpas this would help.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:40 PM   #4
northcal
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I doubt what you saw was actually yeast. Any reason to think that's what you saw other than internet sources?

Best,

Old 05-21-2013, 04:49 PM   #5
HBC
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcal View Post
I doubt what you saw was actually yeast. Any reason to think that's what you saw other than internet sources?

Best,
I went to the internet to find out what the white specs in my stool were. The other symptoms is that after drinking a few glasses of wine (4-5 hours) I am miserable. After eating (a few hours) of anything in the bread/sugar category - I am very bloated. I kind of expect that after drinking beer...so I have not analyzed that too much. I have had a few yeast infections this past year treated with OTC drugs.. and just assumed those were just normal- but I do not recall ever having those.

This past year has been somewhat unhealthy (pneumonia 1-year ago, and 3-months ago viral meningitis). Antibiotics have been used in the past year to combat a few infections--per Docs assessment.

I suppose that mostly, I have just felt that I have something going on in my stomach (in my head??) and trying to figure out what is going on. At this point, I am not 100% convinced, but it is pointing to yeast overgrowth.

do not get me wrong, I am not saying that a normal healthy man who consumes beer on a regular basis is going to have the issue... I am saying that this may faced a year of low immune system combined with 2 batches of antibiotics, and a big change to my diet (homebrew).

Old 05-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #6
HBC
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACbrewer View Post
Yogurt with active cultures are often recomended to people who are taking antibodics to bring up their natural bacteria count. Perhpas this would help.
I am thinking the same.. a few diet modifications plus being okay looking more pregnant while my body resets-- is what I need to consider.

My plan this entire winter has been to focus on better food this summer-- but I was not considering removing alcohol.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:02 PM   #7
invivoSaccharomyces
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Biologist here.

First, I agree with northcal: what you saw in your stool was most likely not yeast. There are a million different kinds of organisms in your digestive tract, and without a microscope, there's no good way to tell one type from another. Even with a microscope, that task is often impossible, even for a trained microbiologist. A layperson looking at a log isn't going to be able to tell yeast from paramecia.

Second, the yeast that you drink in your beer is a totally different species than the yeast that lives in your digestive system. Beer and digestive fluid are totally different environments. The yeast in your beer will grow about as well in your digestive system as a penguin in the Sahara.

What's more, the environment of your stomach and upper intestine are totally different from that of your lower intestines. Even if the yeast you drank was growing in your digestive tract, very little of it would make it into your stool.

Feeling bloated, gaining weight, and having low energy can be caused by lots of things. It could be diabetes, it could be a thyroid disorder, it could be normal aging, it could be stress, or it could be nothing at all. Gastrointestinal infection is not a cause of those symptoms, however. More than likely, it's nothing serious, and will pass with time. If your symptoms worsen, you might ask your doctor and take a blood test. They will probably tell you the same thing as I'm telling you right now. (When I asked my doctor about similar symptoms, she thought it was just stress, and sent me home. She was right!)

Another thing that can cause a bloating feeling is too much salt in your diet or improper hydration. Make sure you're drinking enough water (not just beer!), and cut down on salty foods. Even if that isn't the cause of your current problems, it'll make you feel healthier in the long run anyway.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:02 PM   #8
DPBISME
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 76

So I have about 3 pints each night (kegged) and I have the symptoms you describe frequently "...Stomach aches, bloating, flatulence, loose stool...".

I am sure it is from the MASS quantities of beer I consume, over four days I drank 4-5 gallons while on vacation last week and one day I could not button my pants, next day fine…

BUT

Sunday night I whipped up some Ayran (http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Ayran-%2...ogurt-Drink%29) drank it, went to bed, and my problems went away… So the other poster may have a point.

When I was a kid I lived in Turkey and developed a taste for the stuff,,, I just added salt, water, and yogurt (the good kind like the Greek stuff they are selling these days).

Just so you know-----I am not an alcoholic,,, I just brew a lot of low gravity/session beers.

Then again things affect people differently. Wheat, Barley, Peanut nuts, Nuts, Tomatoes and Strawberries make some people sick so I assume the same should be true for yeast

Old 05-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #9
HBC
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frige View Post
Well you could always pasteurize the beer.
Pasteurizing will indeed kill the active yeast in the beer. I am not so sure that the yeast in the beer is the only culprit- although I am sure it is a part. The main issue is the amount of sugars in the beer/alcohol which fuel whatever yeast is growing in the digestion system. Yeast can tolerate high acidic levels-- we all know that due to star-san products.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:08 PM   #10
HBC
Recipes 

From what I have read-- it takes more than one treatment of probiotics (yogurt). Who knows- it may not have taken long for you due to having a healthy system to start with. My point being thought that I think it can be controlled with a bit of diet modification-- glad to hear that yours was quickly controlled-- I am hoping the same for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPBISME View Post
So I have about 3 pints each night (kegged) and I have the symptoms you describe frequently "...Stomach aches, bloating, flatulence, loose stool...".

I am sure it is from the MASS quantities of beer I consume, over four days I drank 4-5 gallons while on vacation last week and one day I could not button my pants, next day fine…

BUT

Sunday night I whipped up some Ayran (http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Ayran-%2...ogurt-Drink%29) drank it, went to bed, and my problems went away… So the other poster may have a point.

When I was a kid I lived in Turkey and developed a taste for the stuff,,, I just added salt, water, and yogurt (the good kind like the Greek stuff they are selling these days).

Just so you know-----I am not an alcoholic,,, I just brew a lot of low gravity/session beers.

Then again things affect people differently. Wheat, Barley, Peanut nuts, Nuts, Tomatoes and Strawberries make some people sick so I assume the same should be true for yeast

Quick Reply