Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Cancer and no insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #11
SaevaVeritas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So sorry to hear about this. I am sure that this is a hard time for your family right now and our thoughts and prayers are with you.

As far as insurance goes you may find yourself singing Obama's praises soon. Under the Affordable Care Act anyone with a preexisting condition may apply for health care exchanges now if they have been uninsured for at least 6 months and denied health care insurance due to a preexisting condition.

Here is some information on the program: http://www.healthcare.gov/law/featur...lan/index.html

My advice would be to apply to a private insurer (with the knowledge that you will likely be denied) and then start the paperwork to collect insurance through the exchange.

That being said this should not stop your mother from receiving adequate health care. Every major city has a hospital that will treat uninsured individuals. Just walk into the ER and ask to see the Dr. and you will be seen. They can direct you to social services which will be able to help you out.

Good luck!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #12
m_stodd
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 38 Posts

f**k cancer

Old 12-13-2012, 10:27 PM   #13
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Liked 791 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 389

Quote:
f**k cancer
And the horse it road in on.... yeah, it sucks, what seems impossible, you just muster your strength and get through it. One step at a time...
Old 12-13-2012, 10:33 PM   #14
jakenbacon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaevaVeritas View Post
So sorry to hear about this. I am sure that this is a hard time for your family right now and our thoughts and prayers are with you.

As far as insurance goes you may find yourself singing Obama's praises soon. Under the Affordable Care Act anyone with a preexisting condition may apply for health care exchanges now if they have been uninsured for at least 6 months and denied health care insurance due to a preexisting condition.

Here is some information on the program: http://www.healthcare.gov/law/featur...lan/index.html

My advice would be to apply to a private insurer (with the knowledge that you will likely be denied) and then start the paperwork to collect insurance through the exchange.

That being said this should not stop your mother from receiving adequate health care. Every major city has a hospital that will treat uninsured individuals. Just walk into the ER and ask to see the Dr. and you will be seen. They can direct you to social services which will be able to help you out.

Good luck!
Exactly what I was going to post, give it a try and good luck.....

Old 02-18-2013, 06:00 AM   #15
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 79

OP here. Thought I'd post a happy conclusion to the story of my mom's cancer. An area representative for the insurance company smelled a lawsuit coming from my mom (she was pretty direct/aggressive with her assertions that they refused to reinstate her insurance illegally) and her insurance policy was reinstated. She underwent top notch surgery under an amazing team of surgeons at UC Davis cancer center at the end of December. A full lab analysis of all tissues harvested during her hysterectomy (including pelvic lymph nodes) showed zero penetration of cancer beyond the inner lining of her uterus. She has been declared caner free by the oncologists. They said that the odds of this cancer reoccurring in her body are less than 1%. She needs no chemo or radiation follow ups. An amazing turn of events, in my opinion. Thank you all for your good thoughts and uplifting words!

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

People Like This 
Old 02-18-2013, 07:11 AM   #16
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Liked 791 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 389

That is really great news!!!

Old 02-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #17
SharonaZamboni
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1390 Times on 1284 Posts
Likes Given: 29

That is great news!!! Congratulations to your mom!

Oh, so you're just gonna sit there drinkin beer from your keg, sh!ttin in the kitchen sink, and watching him work -Xaphoeous

I McDrunko and this beer is Amazing!- McBrewskie

Old 02-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #18
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 678 Times on 492 Posts
Likes Given: 400

Glad to hear that she's doing well.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #19
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 564 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeergeek View Post
OP here. Thought I'd post a happy conclusion to the story of my mom's cancer. An area representative for the insurance company smelled a lawsuit coming from my mom (she was pretty direct/aggressive with her assertions that they refused to reinstate her insurance illegally) and her insurance policy was reinstated. She underwent top notch surgery under an amazing team of surgeons at UC Davis cancer center at the end of December. A full lab analysis of all tissues harvested during her hysterectomy (including pelvic lymph nodes) showed zero penetration of cancer beyond the inner lining of her uterus. She has been declared caner free by the oncologists. They said that the odds of this cancer reoccurring in her body are less than 1%. She needs no chemo or radiation follow ups. An amazing turn of events, in my opinion. Thank you all for your good thoughts and uplifting words!
Yesss! Grats OP. Davis is an excellent research hospital, even many times more so than it has an excellent brewing program. That was quite a drive from Visalia, so you should know that it was worth it.

Travis AFB is right down the road and has a huge base medical facility for all the individuals deploying in and out, plus the huge veteran population in the local area. When surgeries there go tits up, they immediately do a helicopter transport to UC Davis.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Old 02-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #20
glenn514
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I am happy to hear of the wonderful resolution to the OP's mother's cancer. A former neighbor's wife was diagnosed with ovarian cancer...and no health insurance. After getting the run-around with various government agencies, they contacted the American Cancer Society...and received answers and help almost immediately!

glenn514

Quick Reply