The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Calling All Motorcycle Owners!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 01:31 AM   #21
Zuljin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3304 Times on 3052 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer_is_good_for_you View Post
There's a big difference between starting on a 800cc cruiser and a similar size sport bike. That said, you've got some MX experience so it's not like you're totally new to it. I've got a Honda Hawk GT (650 V-twin) and it's a blast around town, but could use a little more on the freeway and is on the small side for me size wise at 6'4"/195.

When I look for helmets, I try to find one that meets ECE 22.05, it's a stricter standard than Snell.
I had to google that.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc.../ece-22-05.htm

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 01:55 AM   #22
static
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Keep in mind that dirt and street riding are not the same. There are very different riding techniques used.

The yeast knows what it's doing.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #23
dfc
Audio Engineer/Instructor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 121

I recently got my first bike. I wanted a daily rider and something that didn't cost too much, so I started looking at bobbers. Someone earlier mentioned the LS650 and that's exactly what I have. It's got plenty of torque (almost pulled myself off of the seat once when learning to ride it) and only cost me $2500 (it's an '06).

I pretty much agree with what most people have said, sit on a few and check them out. Go on a few test rides. Make your decision that way.

Kegged: Beer
Bottled: Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer.
Primary: Beer
Secondary: Beer

How to brew extract (with pictures!)

How to brew extract (Video)

Simple bottling process

Old 10-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #24
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1821 Times on 1121 Posts
Likes Given: 2618

Quote:
Originally Posted by static View Post
Keep in mind that dirt and street riding are not the same. There are very different riding techniques used.

+ 1001

It doesn't hurt knowing how coordinate the clutch/gears/brakes etc from the experience but there is a totally different mindset riding a street bike.

I grudingly took the MSF course because I was in the Navy at the time and the only way to ride on base was to have the MSF certificate. I thought, what are they going to teach me that I don't already know? I can whip a bike around a track, through the woods, ride wheelies make jumps etc..no sweat.

The instructor quickly picked up on my off road riding techniqes right away and probably save me from myself. Take the course it's worth it.

Also, earlier was mentioned a 1200cc Sportster. Great bike, agile, quick. My first street bike. At your size you will quickly outgrow it. I did and I'm six inches shorter than you. Definitely find a bike you feel comfortable on.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:46 PM   #25
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 254 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowsonTiger22 View Post
All comes down to what you want. Dirty, nasty speed? Crotch Rocket. Touring? Cruiser.

I own a harley, and will say that it has caused me some grief. Might look into victory or triumph next time.

Head to a dealership, and start sitting on things. That'll tell you what you like.

I have a Victory Kingpin....Victory destroys harley in performance, engine build quality and longevity. My uncle has a 1999 Victory V92C with 106,000 miles on it...the engine has NEVER needed anything but oil and filters! That does not happen with Harley.

You need to determine if you would rather have a cruiser, a standard motorcycle or a crotch rocket.

Cruisers are great for all around riding and awesome for long distance riding but pretty poor choice if you like curvy mountain roads. Standard motorcycles come in a variaty of sizes and packages but generally are versatile and do everything well. Take the Yamaha FZ6/FZ1/FZ8 for example...streetfighter looks, sport bike performance, enough comfort for a 1,000 mile road trip without putting you in a doctors office. A crotch rocker (Super Sport bike) is about one thing; PERFORMANCE. This is a great weekend ride, track bike or canyon/mountain carver but a poor choice for commute or long distance touring.

Then there is the sport touring bike. Examples Yamaha FJR1300. These bikes are sporty yet comfortable for the long haul.

It also comes down to price range and insurance costs. I also have a Yamaha FZ6S because it was a great bang for the buck and insurance was about 70% less than it would have been on a crotch rocket. Definitely get insurance quotes before you buy!

Next up: English Pale Ale (ESB)
Primary 1&2: White Zombie (Amarillo IPA)
Primary 3&4: Summer Kolsch
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Amber Rain (Dry Hopped Amber Ale), SM Belgian Golden Strong

Old 10-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #26
landshark
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 24

For a first bike i'd recommend an 80's Japanese bike. Dirt cheap, if you lay it down you aren't out anything, and learn to ride that way. Then in a year if you enjoy riding and get the feel of it you can step up into something bigger/nicer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
OK, So I searched "Betty White nude" ...........At the top of the results, instead of 'Did you mean......" it asked "Are you f#cking serious?....."
Jayhem Likes This 
Old 10-03-2012, 07:53 PM   #27
Whattawort
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I don't have one anymore, but a Shadow 1100 is a good one to start out on. My bro got the 750 and he outgrew that within 2 years. Had to get rid of mine when the little one showed up. Kinda hard to justify the bike when something more practical is needed. No....I didn't get a minivan.

Bottled - Swamp Water Mead
Kegged - Ryerish Red
Fermenting - Plinius Maior

“For a quart of Ale is a dish for a king.”
― William Shakespeare

Old 10-03-2012, 07:54 PM   #28
static
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whattawort View Post
No....I didn't get a minivan.
Yet.

The yeast knows what it's doing.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #29
Cranny04
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whattawort
I don't have one anymore, but a Shadow 1100 is a good one to start out on. My bro got the 750 and he outgrew that within 2 years. Had to get rid of mine when the little one showed up. Kinda hard to justify the bike when something more practical is needed. No....I didn't get a minivan.
One of my friends recommended a shadow...

My Blog: Bros Beer

Old 10-03-2012, 08:28 PM   #30
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

Honda Shadows are great if you are looking for a cruiser. The high torque and low center of gravity makes riding easy. I've got a 600, but it would be a bit small for you. A 750 would be a good fit and has plenty of power.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply