The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Calling All Motorcycle Owners!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012, 10:08 PM   #11
static
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Before you get a bike take an MSF rider safety course. Worth the time, bypasses endorsement testing in most states and can save you $$$ on insurance when you get that new ride. Next figure out what you want, sit on a bunch of bikes and remember that what is on the seat causes more problems than what is under it.

The yeast knows what it's doing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 10:10 PM   #12
funkadelicturkey
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 2229

I recommend taking a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course. Then sit on a bunch of bikes until you find one that is comfortable http://online2.msf-usa.org/msf/Default.aspx

I love my SV650N, the riding position is slightly forward but not leaned over like a sport bike.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:19 PM   #13
mcspanner
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer

Ahhh. Yes. Gas on tire not good. Mine vents under the frame.
Although to be honest it's preferable to all the oil from the bike in front of you being atomised over your bike, visor, tarmac etc when the gear box decided it didn't want to keep all those pesky cogs and springs inside the casing when the rider down changed. That was " interesting"....

Scientifically speaking, alcohol IS a solution.....

Old 10-02-2012, 10:20 PM   #14
Zuljin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3300 Times on 3048 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by naga77777 View Post
definitely sit on quite a few.

I knew I wanted a cruiser.

I had my mind set on a suzuki savage (ls650), from reading sooooo much online about starter bikes. This is generally regarded as one of the better starter bikes, etc etc. Well, I'm 5'10", 190lbs, and the first time I saw one in person, I almost laughed. I sat on it, and it was soooo tiny. Lots of sites recommended the 250cc bikes for starting out (honda rebel, etc), and they are even smaller.

I used a Honda Rebel when I took my Motorcycle Safety class, and i felt like a monkey f*ggin' a football. It was so cramped.

I was partial to shaft-drive bikes, and ended up buying a suzuki c50 (800cc, but pretty large frame, and long wheelbase). I sat on a new one at the dealer, and then found a used one on craigslist.
That's damn near word for word my bike buying story. Except I bought my C50 at a dealer.

Definitely take 'The Course'. I went from never having rode to being able to ride in 3 days. Being able to ride well came with later experience. 'The Course' is well worth the time and money. You get a discount on insurance too.

Once you pass 'The Course', you may be able to bypass the driving portion of the state M test. I only had to take the written.

Cruiser insurance is cheaper than sport bike insurance, even with a good driving record.

Screw that start with a 250 business. A busa or Boss Hoss may not be a good idea for a new rider, but a medium to full size bike is fine. You got two guys right here who started on 800s.

And no, no graduated size restriction in the US. You get your M and you can drive any size bike you feel like on day one. 'The Course' does teach on 250s though.

And I aint knocking 250s. It's a fine size if that's what one wants. Hell, I'd rock a sub 250 scooter if I didn't get on the highway. Great mpg.

And wear a DOT or Snell helmet. The road don't care how tough we think we are. I often wear a riding jacket too when on the highway.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:34 PM   #15
mcspanner
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin

Screw that start with a 250 business. A busa or Boss Hoss may not be a good idea for a new rider, but a medium to full size bike is fine. You got two guys right here who started on 800s.

And no, no graduated size restriction in the US. You get your M and you can drive any size bike you feel like on day one. 'The Course' does teach on 250s though.
Couldn't agree more, the idea that larger capacity bikes aren't as suitable as a 250 seems to have been thought up by someone who has never experienced a nice big lazy twin compared to a smaller capacity sports bike. I have very fond memories of ringing the neck on 250 cc RGV and RSs that would top out at around 140mph and definitely were not learner friendly the way something like a new triumph boneville 900 or a Suzuki c50 are.

Getting a bike licence here is a lot like volunteering to be part of an experiment in Orwellian bureaucracy. And the options vary depending on what age you are and what engine size you do the test sections on.

Scientifically speaking, alcohol IS a solution.....

Old 10-02-2012, 10:47 PM   #16
zurcj20
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I took "the Course" too. I went to a harley dealer looking at bikes. I had my eye on a Dyna superglide, the salesman asked me if I wanted a test ride. I said I only had my license for a week and had never been on the road. He said if you took the course you'll be fine. He went out with me and it was awesome. A week later I rode it home. He told me something I still tell people today, the bike will only go as fast as you let it.

"To alchohol, The cause of, and solution to all of lifes problems!" -Homer Simpson

Old 10-02-2012, 11:13 PM   #17
TowsonTiger22
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1791 Times on 1758 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
That's damn near word for word my bike buying story. Except I bought my C50 at a dealer.

And wear a DOT or Snell helmet. The road don't care how tough we think we are. I often wear a riding jacket too when on the highway.
I will recommend a jacket. I can post a picture of my fresh scar tissue that the road gave me.

Primary: None
Secondary: Nothing there either
Kegged: Porter, Pale Ale

Old 10-02-2012, 11:18 PM   #18
moscoeb
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 40 Posts

Hey cranny, I grew up in Madison, VA!

I have a Kevlar jacket and some boots I can sell ya and ship to ya if interested. Give ya a damn good price. Let me know and I'll email you some pics and sizes.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:45 PM   #19
Beer_is_good_for_you
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 26

There's a big difference between starting on a 800cc cruiser and a similar size sport bike. That said, you've got some MX experience so it's not like you're totally new to it. I've got a Honda Hawk GT (650 V-twin) and it's a blast around town, but could use a little more on the freeway and is on the small side for me size wise at 6'4"/195.

When I look for helmets, I try to find one that meets ECE 22.05, it's a stricter standard than Snell.

"Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live on nothing but food and water." W.C. Fields

Old 10-03-2012, 12:03 AM   #20
Cranny04
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer_is_good_for_you
There's a big difference between starting on a 800cc cruiser and a similar size sport bike. That said, you've got some MX experience so it's not like you're totally new to it. I've got a Honda Hawk GT (650 V-twin) and it's a blast around town, but could use a little more on the freeway and is on the small side for me size wise at 6'4"/195.

When I look for helmets, I try to find one that meets ECE 22.05, it's a stricter standard than Snell.
I'm not really experienced in MX, I've ridden a dirt bike a hand full of times... But all of you have been super helpful.

Thanks!

My Blog: Bros Beer

Quick Reply