Calling All Metal Fans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never posted to this thread but decided why not. I love brewing beer and metal! So the question I have for other metal heads out there is, list your favorite 5 records of 2014 thus far. We are 1/4 through the year, which means you get 1 record per month plus a kicker! Mine are (in no order):

Slough Feg - Digital Resistance - Metal Blade Records
Kampfar- Djevelmakt - Season of Mist
Triptykon- Melana Chasmata - Century Media
Torrid Husk - Caesious EP - Grimoire Records
Behemoth - The Satanist - Metal Blade Records

After looking over the thread I understand that there is a real underground vibe going on, but some "bigger" bands have release great albums so far this year! I am just wondering what else I SHOULD be listening to.

I was going to comment on the recent discussion about “Christian metal” but figured it would be non-productive in my first post. I just want to hear what my fellow brewer/ metal fans are listening to this year!

The new Kampfar is really really good. I have been following them for quite some time, and this new record is BAD ASS! That is, if you are into Norwegian blackened folk metal.

I was pleasantly surprised when I found their self-titled EP at a Sam Goodies in Ohio a couple weeks ago. I couldn't believe all the great black/death/war/doom/crust metal selection at this store. I found out a metal head that worked there had a friend that had a distro that went belly up, and was stocking the distro’s CDs. I am talking quality albums! I was just visiting a small town in Ohio and found a Gold Mine for metal.
I spent almost $100 at a FYE/Sam Goodie because of the RIDICULOUS albums they had. Never thought in 100 years I would go to Steubenville OH to find bad ass metal at a Sam Goodies, but I DID! Also, all their used CD’s were $5 each! (All the distro items were listed as used, even though they had never been opened.)

Moral: Never overlook a store that has used CDs

:rockin:

Haven't really been into newer metal lately. More so a punk rock kick. Anarchy and burning **** to the ground. Always have slayer and pan-****ing-tera on at the gym though.

Primary: House stout
Secondary: zombie dust clone
Bottled: moose drool clone

I couldn't list 5 from 2014 because I aint that up on ****, but here is my top 5 or so "metal" from recent memory. Honestly thought I consider Hoobastank and Linkin Park metal and would rather listen to Shinedown or Foo Fighters any day of the week.

Trivium - In Waves
Rev Theory - Justice
Mastadon - Crack the Skye
HellYeah - Hellyeah
Forbidden - Omega Wave
Overkill - IronBound
Anthrax - Worship Music
Manimal - Manimal
Warbringer
All that Remains
Tantara

more favorites recent
Disturbed - Asylum
Avenged 7X - Nightmare
Volbeat - Beyond heaven Beneath Hell
Egypt Central - White Rabbit
Atreyu - Lead Sails, Congregation
Alter Bridge - III
Sick Puppies - Tri-Polar
Adelitas Way - Adelitas Way

Just hear Mushroomhead for the 1st time the other day, wanna check that out some more.

I went to Asheville NC (great beer town btw) to see Down play on Saturday. Can't say enough for how badass of a show Down plays every single time, you can tell they all love what they do and they feed off the crowd. But while I was up there I picked up this newer (2012) Witch Mountain album, Cauldron of the Wild... Crunchy

Last edited by a moderator:
After looking over the thread I understand that there is a real underground vibe going on, but some "bigger" bands have release great albums so far this year! I am just wondering what else I SHOULD be listening to.

Here are some recent stand-outs for me if you're interested, in no particular order...

Maglor - Call Of The Forest
Dark Avenger - Tales Of Avalon: The Lament
Triumphant - Herald The Unsung
Teitanblood - Death
We Are Legend - Rise Of The Legend
Atlantean Kodex - The White Goddess
Edguy - Space Police/Defenders Of The Crown
Thunderstorm - Witchunter Tales
Royal Hunt - A Life To Die For
Brainstorm - Firesoul
Battleroar - Blood Of Legends
Grand Magus - Triumph And Power
Falkenbach - Asa
Iron Savior - Rise Of The Hero
Cauldron Black Ram - Stalagmire
Teramaze - Esoteric Symbolism
Sabaton - Heroes
Masters Of Disguise - Back With A Vengeance
Gamma Ray - Empire Of The Undead
Onward - Evermoving
Persuader - The Fiction Maze
Primal Fear - Delivering The Black
Withem - The Point Of You
Skogen - I Doden
Sinbreed - Shadows
Noble Beast - S/T

A little psycho stick?!? Beer is good!! And stuff!!

Reeberom = Morebeer

have possibly acquired the new EYEHATEGOD album. . total sell outs; it's so radio friendly. .*sarcasm

the whole thing is brutal.

That new EHG is sooooo good! I have been waiting for a new album from these guys for years and the new one does not disappoint.

On the poppier side of doom/sludge, I went and saw FLOOR this weekend at Tremont Music Hall, and thier new tracks really fit in nicely with thier old tracks. For those unfamiliar with FLOOR, it is Steve Brook's band before he started Torche. So if you like Torche, you will like FLOOR. The new ablum, Oblation, is in definate rotation at the moment. Check them out.

http://officialfloor.bandcamp.com/album/oblation

That BOMB string!

I can't get into the vocal styling from most of these newer bands.

Love metal, hate cookie monter/growling/grunting.

I really love new school thrash. Not sure what that style of music is but bands that try and sound like old school 80's thrash, if you know what I mean.

I can't get into the vocal styling from most of these newer bands.

Love metal, hate cookie monter/growling/grunting.

I really love new school thrash. Not sure what that style of music is but bands that try and sound like old school 80's thrash, if you know what I mean.

I know what you mean :mug:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBQyJvMsM-U

Not the best delivery from Phil IMO, but Pepper always brings the riff

i've been listening to the new EP off and on... and yeah, Phil's vox just aren't what they once were and i rate this one up with the last EP; not very high.

but i'll take what i can get i suppose, certainly not flying south to see them again though......for Baroness though i will..

:mug:

speaking of them, this whole show gave me wood..

god i want to see them live ugh! biggest problem with Alaska; we get **** for live shows.

god i want to see them live ugh! biggest problem with Alaska; we get **** for live shows.

Great reason to start a band! :)

I couldn't find the full ep on youtube to post, but all in all I think The Purple EP Part II is right up there with NOLA as far as riffs go, if not better. I was listening last night and it kinda reminded me of Superjoint Ritual.

i wouldn't put it up with NOLA...NOLA is untouchable.

but, Conjure is the best track since Invest in Fear; pure Sabbath.. and i find Sufferer's Years to have a lot of COC influence..

i could deal with Phil's fuking counting with SJR...but on every down track now, it's a lil ridiculous heh

i wouldn't put it up with NOLA...NOLA is untouchable.

but, Conjure is the best track since Invest in Fear; pure Sabbath.. and i find Sufferer's Years to have a lot of COC influence..

i could deal with Phil's fuking counting with SJR...but on every down track now, it's a lil ridiculous heh

One two one two three four!!!!

In that case,maybe you guys can appreciate this one that I used to race down I480 to on the way home from work...nothin' like a lil 80's thrash...

Thought of this one while driving the '99 Mustang GT my son & I bought last Saturday. That Iron Maiden gallop def works...

Fight > Turbo and Ram it Down Judas Priest! Halford was right leaving when he did. I am a pretty big Priest fan, but those albums are hard to get through. How on earth do you have the best dual guitar attack of K.K. Downing and Glenn Tipton, and decide synthesizers are a good idea? (Iron Maiden fans please don't attack!) I know, it was the 80's, but still.
Union, thanks for posting some good old school metal. Those are definitely good tracks to drive faster than one should.
To show the progression of metal, this might be something I would put on, if I decided to take the car out and speed.

Sludge/Doom forces collaborate and make one of the heaviest albums of 2014 (Thou/The Body). Check out the only track on youtube, and hopefully Vinyl Rites website will recover and you all can order the vinyl. For some reason, their site is messed up. Keep checking back, cause this release is a must have!

If you are not familiar with Thou, check out their website (http://noladiy.org/thoupast.html). They have a huge discography that they give away for free! If you like what you hear, go to Gilead Media (http://www.gileadmedia.net/) and couple other sites and buy their stuff!

Heavy Metal is the Law

Fight > Turbo and Ram it Down Judas Priest! Halford was right leaving when he did. I am a pretty big Priest fan, but those albums are hard to get through. How on earth do you have the best dual guitar attack of K.K. Downing and Glenn Tipton, and decide synthesizers are a good idea? (Iron Maiden fans please don't attack!) I know, it was the 80's, but still.
Union, thanks for posting some good old school metal. Those are definitely good tracks to drive faster than one should.
To show the progression of metal, this might be something I would put on, if I decided to take the car out and speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y61m40le9tQ

I like the sound of the second movement on this track. Pretty good.

Turbo is in the running for worst album ever made. If you were a Priest fan at the time and cared about metal at all, it was a serious insult. They were dead to all metal-heads as a result and then they went and made Painkiller, one of the best records in history. Everything since, with a couple of exceptions along with some of Halford's solo work, is garbage. The new record, sadly but not surprisingly, is also utter crap...

If this is the best they can do I say good riddance, it's really embarrassing when you think about Halford walking around referring to himself as "a metal god", what a joke.

Sounds like classic Priest to me,rather than something totally new.

Maybe in the songwriting it does lend itself to some earlier works, but it's totally weak and uninspired, the vocals are flat and everything else just sounds dull and mediocre at best. I'd love to see them churn out one more good one but, unless this is the weakest track on the forth-coming "last Priest record ever" it doesn't seem very promising to me.

Maybe old Rob could use a lesson or two from JJ on how to properly defile the holidays..

Feels like a Saturday night to jam some "Mythological Occult Metal"

On my bucket list to see this band live!

Shizz,get rid of the racks & hook up to my Fender Rock Pro 1000 half stack in the studio. 100W of smooth tube power...:rockin:

Back