calling all disc golfers.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hoppy, don't give yourself too much credit. I've never been offended by anyone else's problems, if it makes you feel good to be a ****** all the time, more power to ya. I was merely pointing out that you were on a disc golf thread, knocking disc golf and disc golfers by calling them "gey", and that some may construe that sort of action as *****ey. I also found it quite humorous that in defense of disc golf being "gey", you mentioned ball golf as if were any more or less "gey". That's funny to me, because if you look at a group of guys playing ball golf, they're usually wearing pink and/or pastel polos, kahkis, sweater vests, visor hats, saddle shoes or penny loafers and holding sticks.... kinda the same thing you'd see outside say, a gay bar. Now say what you will about frisbee frolf, but don't use ball golf as the status quo when knocking another sport's manliness.

Plus at least disc golf gets a little exercise. Golf hit a ball, get on cart, drive to ball, and repeat. Disc golfers walk the course. Though putting the cart in neutral and going down a hill is fun, especially as the guy in the passenger seat tries to not wet his pants.

I walk 18 holes which is usually like 5 miles...while carrying a bag full of clubs.

Hoppy, don't give yourself too much credit. I've never been offended by anyone else's problems, if it makes you feel good to be a ****** all the time, more power to ya. I was merely pointing out that you were on a disc golf thread, knocking disc golf and disc golfers by calling them "gey", and that some may construe that sort of action as *****ey. I also found it quite humorous that in defense of disc golf being "gey", you mentioned ball golf as if were any more or less "gey". That's funny to me, because if you look at a group of guys playing ball golf, they're usually wearing pink and/or pastel polos, kahkis,, visor hats, saddle shoes or penny loafers and holding sticks.... kinda the same thing you'd see outside say, a gay bar. Now say what you will about frisbee frolf, but don't use ball golf as the status quo when knocking another sport's manliness.

Wow...so much for that apology.

I walk 18 holes which is usually like 5 miles...while carrying a bag full of clubs.
Then you are definitely the exception. Most golfers walk less than a 1/4th of a mile the entire round. And i have personally never seen anybody do it without a pull cart, think that is what it is called.

When I play ball golf I have to take a cart. Walking would inhibit the amount of beer I can take on the course and I wouldn't be able to get drunk enough to not care about my high score!

That said, disc golf rules and I play both types of golf often.

There's actually a disc golf course here that plays right on a nine hole par three golf course. You tee off from the ball golf tees on about half the holds and play back and forth across the fairways. It's on the Wirth Par Three course in Golden Valley, MN, it's a pay to play ($5) and one of the options when you check in at the clubhouse is to rent a cart. I've never been able to bring myself to do it, but it could be fun...

Santa sure did hook it up

20121225_081828.jpg

Very nice 509. Speaking from experience, don't try to splash the chains on that thing. They're not heavy enough to catch the disc with anything more than an easy up shot or putt. I tried like hell to get a high heizer shot on mine and it just went right through the chains every time.

They do take a bit of getting used to, the lips and chains play very differently from a course basket. Mine has inner chains too, and you can still put a disc through. Also, the nylon is much more likely to springboard a disc if you hit the top lip. The way I look at it, they're tougher to sink than the real deal, which isn't a bad thing for practice.

Mine's a metal with a fairly deep basket, but the chains just aren't heavy enough to catch a disc with any kind of speed.

Brewed very first beer tonight. Imperial Russian Stout. It finished with a bit less OG than anticipated...70, but tasted great. Booyaa!

Visited Minn this year to play Blue Ribbon Pines. Also played Bryant, Elm, Koposia and The Valley. Great trip. Minn is ridiculously loaded with solid DG courses. You folks are lucky. We here in Ohio have to travel to play quality courses

Brewed very first beer tonight. Imperial Russian Stout. It finished with a bit less OG than anticipated...70, but tasted great. Booyaa!

Visited Minn this year to play Blue Ribbon Pines. Also played Bryant, Elm, Koposia and The Valley. Great trip. Minn is ridiculously loaded with solid DG courses. You folks are lucky. We here in Ohio have to travel to play quality courses

Congrats on your first home brew and yeah, you got to play some of the best courses around. Kap and the Valley are two of the best I've ever played, anywhere. If you're up here again, check out Acorn in St. Paul, also stellar.

LOVE disc golf, we had a course through my college campus that I loved... Except for losing an occasional disc in the ponds from an errant throw.
Need to find a new course as that one is over an hour away now :(

GMJager said:
LOVE disc golf, we had a course through my college campus that I loved... Except for losing an occasional disc in the ponds from an errant throw.
Need to find a new course as that one is over an hour away now :(

Looks like you are in Columbus. There are a bunch up there in that area. I'll try and find the website for all the listings in all the states.

Cool deal. I know there's one in Delaware somewhere. I just moved back to the area (went to school in NW Ohio, then moved to Northern VA, then moved back a few months ago)

DGCourseReview is a great site for finding courses. I was just gonna post that, thanks moscoeb!! :rockin:

Hopin' to get out for the first round of the spring here in the next couple days. Picked up a few new discs recently, including a first run Zombee. Probably my favorite time of year right now!!

DGCourseReview is a great site for finding courses. I was just gonna post that, thanks moscoeb!! :rockin:

Hopin' to get out for the first round of the spring here in the next couple days. Picked up a few new discs recently, including a first run Zombee. Probably my favorite time of year right now!!

Cool.

Check this out. Got it at a local shop. It's OOP. :cool:

hammerhead.jpg

Ya, I haven't been to it in years. I had to google it and when I saw the addy I remembered it was the one I was looking for. Pretty neat site.

Just found this thread! I've been throwing longer than I have brewing, but still only 3 years. I primarily throw RHBH, with a 175g Star Vulcan and a Star Leopard when my wife decides not to come out. For my midrange I use a Buzzz SS (which is straight as an arrow, and will glide until it hits something) and another Discraft that I bought used with no legible stamp on it. I played mostly Thopson Park in Amarillo, TX but have moved to Fort Worth, TX and have played Z-Boaz only a few times.

A few of my dyes:

The orange Buzzz SS (It used to have really clean lines, then started to "bleed"; I'm not sure why)

The Pink midrange I use. (My playing buddy just referred to it as "Pinky" after I got it, hence the image!)

And my Vulcan that I just recently dyed, My currrent favorite dye job!

Buzzz.jpg

Pinky.jpg

Vulcan.jpg

Thanks! I've only played a few courses, the best so far has been Z-Boaz in FT Worth. There's a few more trees here than up in the Texas panhandle ;-)

Just found this thread! I've been throwing longer than I have brewing, but still only 3 years. I primarily throw RHBH, with a 175g Star Vulcan and a Star Leopard when my wife decides not to come out. For my midrange I use a Buzzz SS (which is straight as an arrow, and will glide until it hits something) and another Discraft that I bought used with no legible stamp on it. I played mostly Thopson Park in Amarillo, TX but have moved to Fort Worth, TX and have played Z-Boaz only a few times.

A few of my dyes:

The orange Buzzz SS (It used to have really clean lines, then started to "bleed"; I'm not sure why)

The Pink midrange I use. (My playing buddy just referred to it as "Pinky" after I got it, hence the image!)

And my Vulcan that I just recently dyed, My currrent favorite dye job!

I spent a couple years down in your neck of the woods; Grapevine and Keller area. Loved playing Bear Creek in Grapevine and Arcadia in north Ft. W. Both great courses, I look forward to playing them again next time I'm down for a visit. BB Owen (Plano, maybe, right off 635) was another one I played a lot.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
I spent a couple years down in your neck of the woods; Grapevine and Keller area. Loved playing Bear Creek in Grapevine and Arcadia in north Ft. W. Both great courses, I look forward to playing them again next time I'm down for a visit. BB Owen (Plano, maybe, right off 635) was another one I played a lot.

Please let me know if you are, I would like to get together for a round or two! My wife and I are looking to move to the Keller area in the late summertime, so thanks for the recommendations!

Spring finally decided to show up in MN this past weekend. Got out and threw 18 at Silverview Park. Didn't really keep score but I counted more birds than boges, so that's good. Also got to play with a Blowfly I for the first time, impressive disc to say the least.

509, we'll have to get out and throw soon. I'll show ya some of the courses I like to throw and there's a great li'l course in Apple Valley that I keep meaning to get back to. Not terribly far from your place.

Please let me know if you are, I would like to get together for a round or two! My wife and I are looking to move to the Keller area in the late summertime, so thanks for the recommendations!

For sure. I'm hoping to get down there later this year to visit the family, so I'll let you know. Bear Creek will always be one of my faves. Awesome course.

**Oh, and is this thread displaying oddly to anyone else? It shows up so wide that I have to scroll right to read posts or get to the "post thread" button, and this is the only thread it seems to be happening on.

Thread looks normal to me. I put in about 8 hours of DG over the weekend. My turbo putt is almost deadly accurate.

The super soft and flexy Blowfly? I've one. It's a fun disc and can do cool stuff once you learn it... or even on accident, as is the case here.

Back