Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > calling all disc golfers.....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2012, 11:19 PM   #101
ytsejam
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

17 is pretty tough too.

Basket is at top of the dirt path.

Mid fairway:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2012, 11:31 PM   #102
MyNameIsPaul
Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Is there anywhere to play in Houston? I used to play a lot in college!

See one melée of unruly people, and you've seen a maul.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:41 PM   #103
Zuljin
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3357 Times on 3098 Posts
Likes Given: 249

Like in the pic, DGCR. They have a full on searchable site for finding courses. Each has pics and player reviews and sometimes course maps.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:51 AM   #104
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytsejam View Post
17 is pretty tough too.

Basket is at top of the dirt path.

Mid fairway:

Looks like a stellar course!! I love those bomber holes, let it all air out a couple few times before bringing' out the short discs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsPaul View Post
Is there anywhere to play in Houston? I used to play a lot in college!
Like Zul said, check out DGCourseReview.com, they have a search map, let's ya find anything around you.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:16 AM   #105
ytsejam
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Had a better round today. I think being a bit cooler helped some.
But here's the deal. I still got whooped my my friend that is throwing discs I let him borrow (his kid snatched his for now).
This is brutal. I'm being out driven by a guy that is throwing a 150 gram valkyrie frisbee style almost.
Granted I was mostly driving with 150 cobra and when I could actually get it to hyzer flip without turning over or treeing I was getting more distance than his goofy valk throw.
I guess I was seeing disc golf lines that I should hit and he was seeing nose up, huge fade lines.

But I am hooked. Having a course less than 5 miles away is way better than playing approach and putt shot with my portable basket around the yard/neighborhood and getting to another course every couple of weeks.
I had lots of bad throws today but I really only remember the good ones. Had an anny shot catch and roll right toward the creek and.......hit the old rusty shed that inexplicably sits by the edge of the water.

A few questions...
I am throwing about 180' - 200' with a standstill hyzer flip with lightweight cobra when I get good form (feels good and smooth for me at least. I throw my leopard about the same distance, one or the other may be a bit farther than the other from throw to throw. I can RHFH my glow champ monarch a bit farther on an S curve with (rare) good form. Maybe 225' I just can't throw my valks. My 172 glow (stamp rubbed off for dyeing) or even that 150 I lent to friend. Nose up and fade bites me every time, I don't have the snap for it I suppose.
Am I correct in thinking I should mostly be driving with my mids that I am getting basically the same distance from as my drivers?
Grrr!!! Why Leo no hyzer flip for 300'!?!?!

Seriously though, how do I throw mids and P&A high in air without throwing nose up?
I can control my anodes and mako pretty well but I need height to work lines. For me, height means nose up and that means stall and fade eventually.

Edit:
Ooops! I shouldn't be here at the computer. I have a portable basket in my yard and glow discs!.

Last edited by ytsejam; 07-28-2012 at 02:22 AM. Reason: priorities

Old 07-28-2012, 03:39 AM   #106
Zuljin
16%er
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3357 Times on 3098 Posts
Likes Given: 249

300' is my balls out max. Mid 200s is what I average on straight out drives. And I still manage to fill my card with 4s. But, what helped me keep the nose down was this grip.

Take the disc, place it in your hand so the edge is between the web of your index and middle finger and follows your palm to the place where it creases at the base. Have your fingers all fanned out. This puts your index finger, thumb that meaty part of your palm all on top of the disc. It will actually be angled slightly up at this point. Now, wrap all your fingers, minus thumb, down and under the disc. This should pull the disc down. Press your thumb down on the top of the disc. Keep your wrist either straight level with the ground or angle it downward. This part of the grip is adjustable for user preference and angle desired.

This grip hasn't made me a Juliana Korver. That would require a scalpel and some medication anyway, but it has kept my discs from reaching low Earth orbit and crashing down short. I guess they fly at eye level to 10 feet. Maybe 11. Hard to tell since even the flat fairways on my home course have slight changes in elevation.

As for fairway vs distance driver, I dunno. I think you're more onto it by weight than designation. 150-170 is the throw it far weight I have the best time with.

The Leopard is a fairway driver now. It used to be tagged as a distance driver. Once I saw Leopards marked distance driver and learned those were older Leopards, I stopped putting so much faith in the designations between fairway and max distance. If it has a sharp edge, I figure it's a throw far disc.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:37 AM   #107
ytsejam
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks, Z!
Yeah, I hear ya about the leo. Same with the cobras I mentioned. They used to be "distance drivers" too.
Weight surely factors in, but I am pretty sure without a certain level of arm speed and snap, discs will not fly as they are "supposed to".
I think "if it flies good, keep it" works, but I also want to get that max potential out of my discs and throws.
Ideally, I would be throwing my leo around 300' before I would even touch my monarch.
Monarch is getting more shaving cream/dye paint as we speak.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #108
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 417

I would suggest trying some of the newer understable drivers, but not the overstable ones. Try a Vulkan, Roadrunner (not that new), Mamba. Combine that with the grip described above. The newer plastic is "faster" than the old Cobra or Leopard. This will help keep it down as it comes out of your hand faster with less chance to climb.

Check out the Innova disc comparison. Any disc with a negative turn is "supposed" to be understable. I would start with the -4's or -5's until you flip them everytime, then work up toward a Katana or someting in that range. Anything 0 or higher is only good to throw into a 30mph headwind LOL!!

Old 07-29-2012, 09:57 PM   #109
ytsejam
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have a couple stable to overstable discs but I don't even throw 'em.
Can't throw my valks very well, my 172 glow champ or 150 DX, but I can throw my 166 Monarch better, and so so with my 150 sidewinder.
I think most of it is I am not usually smooth on all parts of my throw at the same time. I just gotta build up muscle memory rather than focusing on a single aspect each throw. Grip, weight shift, follow through, etc, I really need all of em don't I, haha.
Hyzer flips are fun, but I really should work on getting lines on flat throws.

Learned how to "turbo putt" last night.
Anyone do that? Hard to decribe.
Hand up by ear like you're carrying a tray like a waiter. Bottom of flight plate rests on thumb, first knuckles of 4 fingers on rim.
Kind of like throwing a ball and spinning a basketball. Forearm forward and spin with index finger by twisting wrist.
Strange shot, but fun and I think it might be useful for shorter uphill putts.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:34 PM   #110
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytsejam View Post
I think most of it is I am not usually smooth on all parts of my throw at the same time. I just gotta build up muscle memory rather than focusing on a single aspect each throw. Grip, weight shift, follow through, etc, I really need all of em don't I, haha.
It's all about muscle memory. When I haven't played regularly, I'm all over the f'n place, but if I stick to playing at least once a week my game is much more consistent, if not better.
I sort of approach it a lot like I approached pitching in little league and high school; I do everything the same, from the second I grab a disc and step up to throw. It kinda puts me in the same frame of mind each throw, lets me focus on just the throw I want to make.
Funny that you mention using the overhand putt uphill, the only time I use it is on a lie looking down right over the basket. Even then, I don't do it much as I totally suck at it.

Played North Valley Park yesterday. Beast of a course, I did manage a couple birds, but had a few more boges to go with 'em. All in all, it was a good day out. Still working on the cross step, and when I can keep the nose down, I'm throwing my BH's much farther.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Quick Reply