*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Bummer and a big decision...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2006, 12:42 PM   #41
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablrbrau
Not to hijack dude's thread, but I may also be facing some surgery for one of my dogs soon. They always sit under the kichen table while we eat our supper. My son managed to drop not one, but two chicken legs onto the floor, and our lab/greyhound mix swallowed them whole before I could reach in her mouth and grab them. Now we have to follow her around for the next couple days to see if she passes them. If she doesn't, she'll be going under the knife for a bowel obstruction. Yippee.
That's too bad. Troy's managed to steal a bone or two off the table, but hasn't had any problems. Incidentally, I do feel that people who either eat chicken in their cars and throw the bones out onto the sidewalk, or who eat chicken on the sidewalk and drop their bonds where they stand, ought to have their legs broken.

Is there anything less pleasant in this world than taking a walk with the pooch, sun's coming up, nice and warm, no one's up yet, peaceful and quiet - then having him lunge at something unknown on the ground, then having to reach into his mouth to retrieve it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2006, 12:52 PM   #42
Nate

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
I agree. And I am a hunter, and I used to be a butcher. Weird, huh?

Not to hijack dude's thread, but I may also be facing some surgery for one of my dogs soon. They always sit under the kichen table while we eat our supper. My son managed to drop not one, but two chicken legs onto the floor, and our lab/greyhound mix swallowed them whole before I could reach in her mouth and grab them. Now we have to follow her around for the next couple days to see if she passes them. If she doesn't, she'll be going under the knife for a bowel obstruction. Yippee.
I'm not sure that eating them whole is an issue. Cooked chicken bones are brittle and can produce sharp shards when chewed... hopefully with them going down whole she'll be fine. We're going through the same thing right now. I went out to mow the yard a couple weeks ago and, after an hour, returned to find half eaten chicken bones all over the house. Our dog jumped into the trash when I went outside and got into the chicken... he's ok so far but we're keeping our fingers crossed.

Old 06-16-2006, 07:26 PM   #43
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well I called the vet today to get some professional input. He said that 90% of the time they will pass on their own and that I should keep an eye on her for about four days and monitor her eating habits etc. He also said that it is now the better part of 24 hrs later and she is still full of piss and vinegar so that is a very good sign. so I will RDWHAH for now. Thanks all, and Dude thanks for not minding my hijacking your thread.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 06-16-2006, 07:53 PM   #44
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 5

No change on Dixie. She isn't getting worse, isn't getting better either. I took her into the kennel to stay this weekend, as I'll be out of town for a few days, but I think judgement day will be when I get back or shortly thereafter.
I'm just concerned with the quality of life issue for this dog. Even if she does heal, if this happens again I know what I'm going to do immediately.

Plus, the vet is pissing me off. She made me feel guilty on the phone the other day for not electing to do the surgery. I asked her if she wanted to save the dog so bad, she should offer to do the surgery for free. She didn't even reply. Unreal.

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 06-16-2006, 08:38 PM   #45
DesertBrew
You're not my type

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
Plus, the vet is pissing me off. She made me feel guilty on the phone the other day for not electing to do the surgery. I asked her if she wanted to save the dog so bad, she should offer to do the surgery for free. She didn't even reply. Unreal.
My previous post probably made me sound like a non-animal lover which is probably the farthest from the truth. My issue is exactly what you're getting here Dude; Vet's going off on spending $3k+ and acting like you're supposed to be surprised when you think otherwise on their recommendations. A good vet puts things into perspective on age, prognosis, quality of life afterwards etc from expensive procedures. My cousin is a vet and she's told me of a lot of "play on emotion" sh!t going on out there in her industry. Like human doctors, find qualiy vets who speak realistically about our loved ones.

Old 06-16-2006, 09:14 PM   #46
Caplan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
No change on Dixie. She isn't getting worse, isn't getting better either. I'm just concerned with the quality of life issue for this dog. Even if she does heal, if this happens again I know what I'm going to do immediately.
We're all getting older Dude - even Dixie too! I'd suggest just paying the cost this time. Especially if it's her first big Vet bill. Working Animals/Pets ARE expensive (Try paying towards a horse like i do!!!). She still sounds healthy and given the cage rest she'll be fine!

Old 06-16-2006, 09:22 PM   #47
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Well I called the vet today to get some professional input. He said that 90% of the time they will pass on their own and that I should keep an eye on her for about four days and monitor her eating habits etc. He also said that it is now the better part of 24 hrs later and she is still full of piss and vinegar so that is a very good sign. so I will RDWHAH for now. Thanks all, and Dude thanks for not minding my hijacking your thread.
Wild dogs eat birds with no problem If your dog isn't choking, she'll pass it in due time. My little shih-tzu can gobble down a t-bone and poop it out without problems, so your monsters shouldn't be worried about a little chicken bone.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 06-16-2006, 09:23 PM   #48
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
No change on Dixie. She isn't getting worse, isn't getting better either. I took her into the kennel to stay this weekend, as I'll be out of town for a few days, but I think judgement day will be when I get back or shortly thereafter.
I'm just concerned with the quality of life issue for this dog. Even if she does heal, if this happens again I know what I'm going to do immediately

I must be lucky in the vet department. He isn't afraid to to say when an animal has had enough, or when he thinks it is worth it to continue with rehabilitation. I pretty much trust his judgement, but then again he has never had to push any drastic care on me, either. I hope it turns out for you and Dixie, Dude.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 06-16-2006 at 09:25 PM.

Old 06-16-2006, 09:29 PM   #49
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
Wild dogs eat birds with no problem If your dog isn't choking, she'll pass it in due time. My little shih-tzu can gobble down a t-bone and poop it out without problems, so your monsters shouldn't be worried about a little chicken bone.
It's not that, it's the brittleness of the chicken bones after they are cooked. Steak bones aren't a problem, pig bones aren't a problem (I occassionally buy Troy these huge, smoked mosters, prolly weight six or seven pounts). You dog eats a chicken, he probably doesn't stop to cook it first. Cook it, the bones splinter up easily and can piece the digestive tract.

Old 06-17-2006, 07:36 AM   #50
The Happy Mug

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertBrew
My cousin is a vet and she's told me of a lot of "play on emotion" sh!t going on out there in her industry. Like human doctors, find qualiy vets who speak realistically about our loved ones.
Play on emotions? I have first-hand experience with this. The first week we got Chance (right when we started bonding with him) he got really sick. We took him to a vet that diagnosed him positive for parvo, and told us it would be at least $400 to take care of him. Of course he diagnosed positive for parvo - he just got his vaccination! I told him that but was dismissed - "our tests don't lie" The vet explained how bad parvo was and that he has only a slim chance, but we had to act immediately. We felt trapped.

I immediately called our breeder and she told us to meet at her clinic. It turned out he was just in a hypoglaucemic shock. I'm not sure if that's the right term, but it's blood sugar shortage problems - very common in small breeds. They have a hard time regulating their blood sugar levels, and he hit pretty hard. He spent the night in the kennel with an IV of glucose/sucrose. I was told to make sure he got some honey everyday to prevent the problem from happening again until he grew up. My breeder covered the overnight visit.

Be careful, Dude. It might be worth looking for another vet.

Allergy Warning: This post was made by a person who may be nuts

From the store: Nothing right now, how sad
Up Next: Thinking about an amber rye
Secondary: "Not as Pale as Death" pale ale (since april, man I hate bottling.)
In bottles: Lager than Life Beer, Rocky Raccoon Honey Lager, A nameless Imperial Stout (my first AG!)

Quick Reply