Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Bummer and a big decision...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2006, 10:18 PM   #21
AaronA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Dude, we've had to put down two weiner dogs. Our first was 8 years old when she had to be put to sleep, and the second was only 6 yrs old. Both for the same reasons as you're experiencing. We had our first dog on rimadyl (sp?) which is the canine equivalent to ibuprofen I think. That worked good for a few years. Our 2nd dachshund went completely paralyzed.

We also heard about the expensive surgery and, like you, opted for kennelling her for a while and using the rimadyl. That worked great for years. FYI, in case they want to go with using rimadyl or some other similar drug that they'll want to do liver/kidney tests at least once a year before they'll renew a prescription (at least that's what our vet did)....and that was around $150 for those tests.

--Aaron

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2006, 11:55 PM   #22
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Dude,
Sorry to hear about your dog. The timing is so bad. You don't want to make the wife's B-day a bad one. Good luck and I hope she pulls through.

This is the very reason I don't want a cat or dog. I'm not willing to spend that kind of money on a pet. Once everyone gets attached it is so rough when something happens. It is just easier and better not to have pets.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 06-08-2006, 12:39 AM   #23
rod
beer -just brew it
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i too have spent way too much on my animals over the years.
my "free" kitten , after being neutered, front declawed( too stupid to leave furniture alone), and hit by a car was over 1,000.00 before it was 2 years old.
we all love our pets(swmbo especially) but sometimes have to bow to the inevitable when they get too sick that their quality of life suffers.
dude - do not do the euthenasia yourself, your wife will always remember it.

simplified signature:
beer, wine, cheese in various stages of production

Old 06-08-2006, 01:42 AM   #24
alemonkey
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I did the job on our cat when he had to be put down. Once I explained to my wife that it was going to be just as quick and painless as a trip to the vet she was fine with it. In fact, I think she was more comfortable with me doing it rather than a stranger.

It didn't bother me doing it, but I grew up on a farm, so it's not the first animal I've had to put down. I wouldn't recommend it for most people.

Now, my 2 year old daughter has started asking for a puppy. I don't want another animal - not because of having to put them down some day, but because I know I'll be the only one who feeds it and cleans up after it, just like our cat.

Old 06-08-2006, 03:18 AM   #25
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've spent $100...... on a Hamster. No seriously..... yup. No really... my wife is dead serious when you buy a pet. You buy a pet... gets sick... you take it to the VET..... seems the smaller they get the more the cost..... I felt bad about him you know... but $100..... you could tell he was in pain..... then I mailed him to her mother's house to be put in thier pet area of the yard that stuff is buried (next day air).

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Old 06-08-2006, 03:40 AM   #26
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Snob
then I mailed him to her mother's house to be put in thier pet area of the yard that stuff is buried (next day air).
Not to detract from the tone of the thread, but let me get this straight.....

You sent a dead hamster through the mail, and sprung for next day air, no less? LOL
Gone unsung for far too long

Old 06-08-2006, 04:02 AM   #27
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwAMi75
Not to detract from the tone of the thread, but let me get this straight.....

You sent a dead hamster through the mail, and sprung for next day air, no less? LOL
yup Packed it with ice packs and all. The mother told me I did a great job... still frozen solid when she got it. I'm telling ya man... she gets all mushy and all with pets..... Last one had cancer... VET did nothing more the put it to sleep.... think it was $25..... The postal person told me he's mailed worst.... did not want to know exactly what he meant though.

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Old 06-08-2006, 04:08 AM   #28
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default $$$

Hey does Thunder count as bucks to be spent on an animal..... he's valued at ... ohhh... about $20,000 now..... this is not including the money I personally sprung like food, toys, VET....

Can you dig it... I'm walking around with a 20K dog.... hmmm.... people all the time go... wow.. he is so well behaved.... well... you know... he should be

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Old 06-08-2006, 01:00 PM   #29
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

There was a story in the news a year or two ago around here about a guy living at the Outer Banks with a black lab. The dog went into epileptic fits and his vet out there got her stable, but she wasn't going to last long. He found out someone at the vet school at NC State in Raleigh could probably help out, but the dog wouldn't survive a 5-6hr drive in a car. The owner, a man of means, rented a helicopter and had the dog airlifted to the Raleigh where the veterinarians were able to get her on some medication to save her life.

Old 06-15-2006, 07:13 AM   #30
The Happy Mug

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
Yeah, but it's only money. Pets offer love and companionship and plenty of great memories That's worth more than a few hundred bucks.
This is so worth repeating. Thank you cheese.

I love my dog. I will spend money I don't have on him, and fill it in later.

But I will not allow him to live in pain.

It is better to love with all your heart, and let death take its course, than make one you love live with pain because you can't let go.

It's too bad we can't do the same with our human loved ones. I have terrible memories of my grandmother's last days, kept alive by machines as she begged for help with her pain. I can give my best friend rest from his pain, but I cannot give my grandmother rest from hers?

I apologize my friends, I didn't want to start something new. It is just something I need to get off my chest.

Damnit if I haven't choked myself up here. When my grandmother lived, she gave me, my girlfriend, and my brother $50. That was a lot for her, she lived on social security and the like, barely getting by. We kept the money because we wanted to find something to remind of us her. It was hard to find something to spend money on that meant something. We saved that money for over a year.

Eventually, we decided on a dog. The last of the money we spent on our puppy was what our grandma gave us. We spent her money on love - something that would love us in return. The final payment I made on our puppy was the money she gave us. He's two years old now and he's like my son to me.

Damn, it's been a long time since I cried. I guess I've never resolved this issue with myself. Some things you just can't seem to put in place. Other things never seem to be resolved.

Allergy Warning: This post was made by a person who may be nuts

From the store: Nothing right now, how sad
Up Next: Thinking about an amber rye
Secondary: "Not as Pale as Death" pale ale (since april, man I hate bottling.)
In bottles: Lager than Life Beer, Rocky Raccoon Honey Lager, A nameless Imperial Stout (my first AG!)

Quick Reply