Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Bummer and a big decision...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2006, 09:04 PM   #11
Ize
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I'm sorry to hear it. With Dakota, (the black shepherd in the gallery) he dropped dead on us one day a year and a half ago out of the clear blue at the ripe old age of 7... It sucked because it caught us so off guard. He had been having problems with one of his legs and the vet had thought it was a stroke but never said anything. Turned out he was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
When you purchase a pet, you purchase a small tragedy in the making. My wife is psychotic about our dog, and I know that when Cookie's day comes, my wife will have to be put on anti-depressants. I mean, I'll probably cry too, but my wife won't be able to handle it.
I hear you on this. That's how it is (and going to be) with our other dog Sadie. Siberian/Australian mix. She's 14, blind from diabetes and gets two shots of insulin twice a day. She SOMEHOW keeps going tho. SWMBO has had her since she was a pup. The day Sadie goes is going to be bad, bad, bad. even tho we both know it's coming soon...

IMHO, whatever you do, try to make sure to minimize any suffering. If they're suffering it's more cruel.

Good luck. I'll be keeping you guys in my thoughts.

Ize

Sig to re-open when it's less of an embarassment
What I do for a living on the web... www.wsoyam.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2006, 09:10 PM   #12
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 392 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Given that it's a dachsund, which do have a tendancy to have bad backs, I would really hesistate to take extraordinary measures. You have to figure the odds of it pulling through and fully recovering are not all that great, that there's still a good chance of him remaining in pain. Add to that the long recovery (I couldn't imagine having to confine my pup to a kennel, he would be miserable), and I don't think I'd do the surgury.

If it comes to that, though, that's a job for the vet. We had to put down my wife's cat a few years ago, and the cost was going to be pretty minor in the grand scheme of things (for better or worse, he passed away right after we called the vet to let them know we had made our decision). But even if you can do it yourself, and I'm not making any judgments about you in any way - you've got to consider how your wife would feel about that. If I had put down my wife's cat myself, even though we had already decided together that it was his time, I'd be divorced today. I don't know your wife, but is she going to look at you differently if she knows that you are the one who did the deed?

This isn't a rational process, and my opinion it's well worth a relatively token amount to the vet so that she is comforted in knowing the process was humane and that your hands are clean.

Old 06-07-2006, 09:17 PM   #13
Regicider
Recipes 

You have my sympathies, Dude. Good luck.

Regicider

"The sweet essence of giraffe"

Old 06-07-2006, 09:37 PM   #14
DesertBrew
You're not my type

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
The alternative is a 3000 dollar surgery that involves an MRI.
I cannot believe I just spent 5 hunge on a dog,
It's always tough but I'm with you on once the bill starts going over 500+. I hear of people doing that with pets to give them another 1-2 years of a ****ty life. Its BS. I'm a pet lover (2 dogs and a cat) but I'm not dishing thousands for any animal.

I swear sometimes vets PISS ME OFF. They charge outrageous amounts for their services; and sometimes the equivalent human procedure costs the same or less after Ins companies do their usual & customary. My wife years ago slammed the front door shut while our cat was between the screen & inner door. Cat tried to get out and was just a bit slow. She nipped 4-5" of the tail. Bla, bla, cry, cry she takes the cat to the vet. Calls me and it's $450 to cut it clean and sew it up. I started in on the phone to bring her home and I'd do it myself with a knife, thread and styptic pencil . She hung up on me and had it done. I don't think my friggen vasectomy was much more than that.

Old 06-07-2006, 09:43 PM   #15
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts

Yeah, but it's only money. Pets offer love and companionship and plenty of great memories That's worth more than a few hundred bucks.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 06-07-2006, 09:45 PM   #16
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

By chance, did your wife perform the vasectomy on you herself after you pissed her off like that?

Old 06-07-2006, 09:48 PM   #17
DesertBrew
You're not my type

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
By chance, did your wife perform the vasectomy on you herself after you pissed her off like that?
No but she may have slid the Dr some $ to make sure I got an infection from the procedure .

Old 06-07-2006, 09:51 PM   #18
andre the giant

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I don't envy your situation. We've got two dogs and we've seen the results of people who hang on to theirs too long, and people who dispose of their pets at the slightest inconvienience. If one of my dogs was suffering moderate to severe pain, and there was no reasonable treatment, ($500 is the upper limit) I think I'd have the dog put down. And this is coming from an absolute dog fanatic. I'd probably take it harder than I would if my best friend died. (lesson to be learned... don't be Andre's best friend...) But they're dogs. The tend to live 7-15 years, then they die. Why spend $3k on a dog that's going to have a diminishing quality of life? Let it go... That's what I would say.

But my perspective may be a bit different. Our dogs were strays, we found them, took them to the pound, then adopted them. There was no way... no way that anyone would have adopted them. They were emiciated, they had heartworms and other diseases... they looked like something you'd see on that ASPCA show on Animal Planet. In fact, they looked worse. They have already lived much longer than they would have otherwise. And they seem to appreciate the fact, and reward us by being the best dogs I've ever owned.

I don't even like talking about it... it bums me out thinking about my dogs and their inevitable "last visit to the vet."

After a year of sitting idle, Andre's All-Grain Brewery has reopened.
Batch #59-Kolsch (Secondary)
Batch #60-Blueberry Ale (Primary)

Old 06-07-2006, 09:54 PM   #19
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertBrew
No but she may have slid the Dr some $ to make sure I got an infection from the procedure .
We need an emiticon for "cringing"...

Old 06-07-2006, 10:32 PM   #20
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What is it about dogs?? When I go hunting I've got no problem shooting feral cats, but dogs? No way. When my dad died 16 years ago I didn't shed a tear, but when my first dog died I sat down on the step and bawled like a little baby. the bond between man and his best friend is just incredible. I'm not trying to offer advice or anything here, I'm just making an observation.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Quick Reply