Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Build your own brick pizza oven

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 01:43 AM   #11
rdann87
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just had pizza and I'm already wanting More.

That is one heck of an oven. Congrats

"Always Be Kind to a Creative Mind"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 03:49 AM   #12
Evets
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Hey Cider, nice oven, and slide show! I built mine a couple years ago using the same plans from Forno Bravo. Mine is 42" I.D. Here's a link to my build thread. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/ind...c,11155.0.html

Also, here is a little hobby business I recently started. I converted a 1967 Airstream camper into a Neapolitan pizza kitchen, complete with a 36" wood-fired oven.

oven-577.jpg   bagels-017.jpg   pizza-288.jpg  

Old 01-30-2013, 08:42 PM   #13
Cider123
Recipes 

Liked 200 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Both your ovens look awesome. It looks like you beveled your dome bricks which is something I wish I could have done. I did all my cutting with a hand held pnuematic grinder and a 4.5 inch masonary blade. I remember those cuts where the dome met with inner arch. That was difficult, trying to keep it from forming a teardrop shape.

So one thing that I wish I had done is pouring a base slab and a second slab for the oven floor. Pouring all that concrete was beyond me at the time, but I wish I had that more stable base and the extra storage underneath would be nice. So those are things for my next build. My block stand sits on a base of pure sand which is several feet deep and tamped. I only hope it does not shift too much over time, but I'm told the sand is much more stable than soil.
It has been a year and it has not moved at all so knock on wood.
I am amazed how that trailer is able to support the weight of your 36 inch oven. That is also the size of my oven. The trailer is very cool.

I like beer

Old 01-30-2013, 09:18 PM   #14
Evets
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Yeah, I used a 10 inch wet tile saw for all my cuts. So much easier than an angle grinder.
I'm sure your base is fine for at least a very long time. Eventually it may shift with enough freeze/thaw cycles but I suspect it won't really affect how the oven works.
The Airstream took a lot of work. It required removing the body and reinforcing the frame and installing a new heavy duty torsion axle. It's a lot of fun though, for sure. Also, it's nice cooking in the driveway in the winter when it's too cold and muddy to hang around the backyard oven.

Quick Reply