Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Budgeting - Envelope system

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2008, 05:41 PM   #31
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 912 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I'm lucky that we don't have to live on a strict budget for two reasons. First, we have enough reserves that we're not going to come up short on any given month. Second, both my wife and I area extremely thrifty on our spending. We always discuss purchases first and nothing is unexpected. I HATE carrying cash. I lose things too much.

Buying on credit is powerful. Dangerous for many people, but powerful. Think about the current lending crisis and how tight the banks are with their money. THAT is why the market is tanking because real business requires credit. It's called leverage.

I bought my first house when I was 21 and I borrowed 116k to buy the 128k house. 5 years later I sold it for 240k and owed 110k of that back. If I would have waiting until I could pay cash, it would still have been out of reach and I'd be renting an apartment 11 years later instead of rolling that equity forward. Sure, tell that to people who took those 100% financed ARMs at the peak of the market... I'm not really talking about them.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2008, 06:48 PM   #32
Ryan_PA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I'm lucky that we don't have to live on a strict budget for two reasons. First, we have enough reserves that we're not going to come up short on any given month. Second, both my wife and I area extremely thrifty on our spending.
The purpose of our budget is not because we are cash strapped or not thrifty, quite the opposite. It is all about long term planning. My wife and I are both 28. We plan to retire early, pay for my daughters college and wedding (she is half greek, so that will be huge). The budget allows us to live to our standards, knowing we are set for major life events, both planned and otherwise.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:04 PM   #33
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by conpewter View Post
P.S. your mom should get royalties from Dave Ramsey
I agree. She also bought us 6 month's of renter's insurance as a wedding present, with the promise we would keep up the policy. I wasn't impressed.

A year later our rented house burned to the ground at midnight, with us barely escaping. It turned out to be a $20,000 present.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:14 PM   #34
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts

My wife and I are not cash strapped by any means either, like I said, we SAVE 24% of our income, but still live on a strict budget... why? It is proven that if you have a budget that accounts for what is going OUT, a lot less goes OUT. Budgeting is knowing what you have, and what you give away, precisely... not about keeping your head above water.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:47 PM   #35
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 912 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Frankly no matter what your process or tracking mechanism is, the end result should always be spending less than you make. Envelope, software, jotting notes, whatever. There needs to be more of that kind of thinking and much less BS self entitlement.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-29-2008, 11:55 PM   #36
talleymonster

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 7 Posts

What, may I ask, is the envelope system?

Old 10-30-2008, 12:03 AM   #37
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

If you are a debit credit card user, use quicken online to do your budget for you. It downloads all your transactions from each card and coordinates with your bank so it makes cool pie charts to show how you spend your money.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 10-30-2008, 12:09 AM   #38
nealf
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by talleymonster View Post
What, may I ask, is the envelope system?

Basically you write out a budget (or decide some other way) a monthly amount that you are going to spend on particulars. An example would be the grocery envelope would get $500, or whatever you decide, and that's all you can spend on groceries for the whole month... which really makes you rethink impulse buying.

Neal

edit: Here is Dave Ramsey's explanation of The Envelope Budgeting System

Last edited by nealf; 10-30-2008 at 12:13 AM.

Quick Reply