A brewing segment on local tv

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k1v1116

Reaction score
Well long story short A friend of the family is a producer/editor for the local cable channel and he approached me about doing a (one time I think) segment on brewing. I haven't been brewing for very long, maybe a little under 2 years so I'm hesitant to make something that new brewers might try to follow. I also brew AG and my equipment is very cobbled together so my process is a little improvised as well.
So camera shyness and all aside I love brewing and would love to share it and maybe even inspire others to brew but I'm not sure I'm at that point or confident enough to do so.
What does everyone think, would you do it, should I?

Well, if you are concerned about how YOUR stuff looks, and the fact that you might be rusty, you could always look around for someone else to do the tactual brewing. You know, like get help with it? There is likely someone nearby that brews who would welcome the chance to bring the obsession out into the public more.

That way you would have control over the content, while enlisting in the aid of someone who has nicer-looking equipment and current techniques (although We all know that nice-looking equip. doesn't mean much, and as far as technique, well, there are plenty of those out there!)

How long is this segment? You may have to trim out some things in order to fit the whole process. I think it would behoove you to think about what you would want to show and see how it would pan out for time. Choose the most important aspects, and mention some others, and offer places (like this site) where people can learn more.

For instance, you might not be able to show Batch Sparging AND Fly Sparging, but maybe choose one and mention there are similar but different ways to do this step, and people can learn more when they go to try and make their own.

Mention that lots of larger areas have one or more brewing supply stores, and that the Internet now makes it feasible for anyone to order quality ingredients of their choice without having to drive miles and miles.

Personally, I would be interested in the science behind the conversion, fermentation, etc. too.

I def. think you should do it! I'd gladly watch that if I had a local cable channel! (Dish Network...) Not sure if you could do this on a local access channel or not, but you might be able to get an LHBS to loan some equipment for the show, and do a bit of advertising (like thanking them for for the generous use of their stuff on air).

It would be fun and then again, maybe not completely fun, but yeah, probably pretty fun to do.

The secret equation for Great TV is this: Short + Clear + Memorable.

break down brewing into small sections.
Grain. Yeast. Hops. Water.

Use the Cooking Show Secret Weapon --- The Swap.
Cook ( Prepare ) your beer in multiple stages for presentation.

Example: 1 swap for each step you are explaining.

With brewing that will be rough, but it can be done.

Here is a link to a web video series from Hoptech. Maybe this can help give you an idea or two.

Good Luck!

thanks for the input. fortunately the swap wont be necessary since everything would be recorded at my own pace, edited, and aired much later. It will be difficult with all grain brewing since it has many more steps and I really have to include something on bottling. but I think Im going to try and work with this guy to record a brew session and bottling with maybe a few short clips of fermentation/racking to secondary. if it looks good but takes too much time I might try doing an extract brew to make things simpler. I'll have to talk to him and work out the details and we'll go from there.

Back