Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Brewing less because of financial crisis?

View Poll Results: Has the national economic crunch affected your homebrewing?
Economy?? Fannie Mae Shannie Mae. I'm brewing just as often and I am upgrading my brewery as usual. 68 61.82%
A little. I'm spending a little less now, and brewing less often. 20 18.18%
Yes. I'm still brewing, but I'm now waiting to upgrade my brewery. 17 15.45%
Definitely. Times are bad. I'm brewing a lot less often, and I've put off my upgrades. 5 4.55%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2008, 04:44 PM   #1
quixotic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Brewing less because of financial crisis?

I just read an article about how Americans are spending less recently because of doubts in the financial market. Here's the article if you're interested: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/06/bu...hp&oref=slogin

Anyways, this made me think: is the financial crunch affecting homebrewers? Homebrewing is a luxury (well...maybe a necessity for many ) that many people might be cutting out of their personal budgets during these harder times.

Have homebrewers cut back/stopped brewing because of economic worries? Have people put off their planned homebrewing upgrades (eg. are waiting to get that SS conical, or go AG) until the economy improves?

secondary:oatmeal stout
kegged: marzen
on tap: apfelwein
on tap: Northern Brewer/Vienna SMaSH
on deck: beer

Last edited by quixotic; 10-06-2008 at 04:56 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2008, 04:59 PM   #2
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Not directly because of the economy but because I need to pay off some debt and do some home repairs. So I'm not brewing less but am putting on hold my kegerator purchase and will probably use Costco honey instead of the good stuff for my Cyser.

Craig

Old 10-06-2008, 05:03 PM   #3
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The way I see it...>Commerce is THE ONLY THING that drives the economy! Cutting back my spending wil only make things worse.
If I quit brewing, Brew store loses a customer, brew store Loses enough customers, he'll have a hard time paying employees, Employees loose a job, then families go hungry. BULL ****! Not on my dime! I'll just brew thanks.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:14 PM   #4
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
The way I see it...>Commerce is THE ONLY THING that drives the economy! Cutting back my spending wil only make things worse.
That is all fine and good as long as you know how to keep a budget and spend within your limits. its people spending money when they don't have it and the banks just giving out more and more loans and lines of credit that got us into this mess.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:16 PM   #5
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I am brewing less, but because I have a 5mo. old girl needs my attention and a 3.5yr old who wants to take that attention away from the 5mo old!

--Omar

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

Old 10-06-2008, 05:17 PM   #6
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker36 View Post
That is all fine and good as long as you know how to keep a budget and spend within your limits. its people spending money when they don't have it and the banks just giving out more and more loans and lines of credit that got us into this mess.
If you are homebrewing on credit, I think it is time to join a group and start attending some meetings....

Old 10-06-2008, 05:19 PM   #7
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 354 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 95

If things continue as they are, I'll soon be unemployed and brewing beer all day!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:31 PM   #8
VatorMan
Recipes 

I'm going to cut back on IPAs because of hop prices and my thirsty friends. Still brewing though.

Redskins SUCK !! lol.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:35 PM   #9
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
If I quit brewing, Brew store loses a customer, brew store Loses enough customers, he'll have a hard time paying employees, Employees loose a job, then families go hungry. BULL ****! Not on my dime! I'll just brew thanks.
+1

As long as I am employed at my current job my day to day budget will not be affected by the current financial mess so I'll keep on spending within that budget. Now, if the current financial mess leads to me being unemployed, then I will probably cut way back on brewing (or I might just join the_bird and brew all day every day, depends on how bleak my prospects look).

In general it bugs me that normal people (ie. those of us that aren't heavily invested in the stock market/don't work in the financial industry) are blowing a nutty over this thing. I understand that everyone's 401K is getting hit, but unless you plan on retiring tomorrow it'll recover. As long as you still have your same job and same level of expenses, nothing should change for you, but maybe that's just me.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 10-06-2008, 05:42 PM   #10
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJadedDog View Post
(or I might just join the_bird and brew all day every day, depends on how bleak my prospects look).
Remember the episode of the Simpsons when Homer Became the Beer Barron? If this economic crunch falls too much more...people are going to be looking to us for consolation. You knwo that there are some Slim Shady Characters out there that might take a few bucks to brew up someting wicked for the local speakeasy.

Damn! Bud's still got us beat on cost though!

Quick Reply