Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Brewing Chicha!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2008, 06:14 AM   #1
bs22619
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brewing Chicha!

Anyone ever brew chicha? (a fermented drink using corn) (drinkin by the Inca's)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2008, 06:20 AM   #2
xcrusader
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yes it is good. first you get deer urine and corn and put it in a bucket. let it ferment for a month... then open the container and start chewing the corn and spitting it back into the bucket. let it ferment for another month. take a huge dump in the bucket and then enjoy!

PS. it may be the wrong recipe.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:53 AM   #3
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

been watching to much Anthony Bordain on the Travel Channel have we?

Old 04-15-2008, 07:03 AM   #4
bs22619
Recipes 

Ha! right after I saw it on "no reservations" I started researching and now am planning on getting a batch going. The style of brewing probably wont be very traditional, being that there will be no chewing and spitting of the corn. I'm not sure what kind of yeast Im going to use yet. Who knows maybe it will turn out alright and eventually be served on draft in my living room.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:03 PM   #5
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs22619
Anyone ever brew chicha? (a fermented drink using corn) (drinkin by the Inca's)
Isn't BMC "a fermented drink using corn"

Old 04-15-2008, 03:39 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Jeez there's 2 threads on it on the same day...thought I was having dejaview for a second....

Here's what I posted on the other thread...

An alcoholic beer-like drink that was brewed and drunk by the Wari, a civilization that thrived in what is today Peru from about 700 to 1000 C.E., before mysteriously disappearing. The chica made by the Wari was made from the berries of the molle pepper plant. Some people today still drink chica, which is now made from corn. [/quote]

On page 301 in this Google book, The Chemistry of Common Life is the preparation of Chica http://books.google.com/books?id=bcMNAAAAYAAJ&pg=PR17&lpg=PR17&dq=chica+beer&source=web&ots=RyCQMeC6mA&sig=vMpEAff2RXWkNXeTanXWGBTU8i0&hl=en#PPA301,M1

You know you're supposed to get a bunch of people together to chew on corn then spit it into a fermentaion container don't you?

Quote:
Technically, chicha is/was make by converting starch into sugar by chewing it, and letting disastase enzymes in human saliva do the starch/sugar conversion - you can do this yourself by chewing bread for a long time, and noting how it gets sweeter. The chewed starch material (maize, cassava, whatever) is spat out and dried, or semi-dried, until the brewer is ready to soak it and ferment it. Some sources say the name chicha is derived from the Spanish word for “spit.”
Now I'm all for exploring ancient brewing techiques and all, but not THAT much.

If you don't want to go that route, here's a recipe that doesn't require mastication, just normal mashing...

http://www.ehow.com/how_2086198_make-chicha-from-corn.html

There's a great article on the Archeology of it. http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2004-07/fm-abd072704.php

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-14-2009, 03:09 AM   #7
rootbeerjohn
Recipes 

Location: Winnipeg a.k.a Winterpeg, Mosquito Capital, Murder Capital, The Peg

I haven't made chicha yet but my brother knows exactly how to make it using regular yellow corn (not the chicha de jora which uses a purple corn).

I know that you get the corn Kernels of a dry corn cob and put it in a cleaned and sterilized container. Filled to the top with water. The corn already has wild yeast in it and fermentation will start pretty fast.

After a week you take out the corn and dry it. The corn has to germinate a little just enough to release the sugars which only happens when the corn begins to sprout.

Once you dry the corn, you got to wash it and then put it back in the cleaned/sterilized container with water, you let it sit for another week and then do the same thing until it begins to sprout. Once it sprouts add sugar to the water. My brother adds natural sugarcane sugar. I fixed one of his brews and found that adding dextrose makes it stronger ABV.

You got to leave it in the container for another week and then add more sugar. You can add as much as 2-3 times sugar. It will keep on fermenting.

Now, Chicha is suppose to be drunk while still fermenting. A good chicha will be bubbling, sweet, and have bite when it touches your tongue. It must also get you drunk (prime objective). If your chicha is not sweet, then it needs more sugar and fermenting time.

Also while fermenting the grains begin to stink and that is why you got to keep them clean and washed (before sprouting takes place, not necessary to clean/wash after sprouting). Most chicha brewers will brew the chicha in container with a small pin size hole to release the pressure. There is no need to chew it and spit it out.

On the other side my grandfather use to brew chicha by germinating the corn in the ground. He would make a hole, put the corn in and wait until it sprouted. Once sprouted he would wash and start the sugaring processes.

What can I tell you, I love to drink chicha. It has a cidery taste to it, sweet, bubbly and is very good.

Try it, I did an experiment with popcorn kernels but didn't work (in case you were thinking about using popcorn kernels (grocery store kind). I am not sure where my brother gets the corn he uses, will find out.

Last edited by rootbeerjohn; 03-14-2009 at 03:11 AM.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:43 AM   #8
samsaba
Recipes 

My wife and I took an amazing trip to Peru last year and had the great pleasure of being able to try Chicha at a local "bar"...I can't emphasize the quotations enough here because it was a persons house with a red rag hanging from a pole indicating it was a place to get Chicha. Pretty awesome.

We had what I guess you would call a normal Chicha and a Strawberry Chicha. The normal Chicha was amazing. I am sure a percentage of this was the surroundings but it tasted great to me. I definitely want to brew some on my own. The Strawberry, well, I didn't care for that one.

It is also worth noting that Dogfish Head is apparently brewing some Chicha and serves it at their pub in Delaware only.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:17 AM   #9
Frankfurtvr4
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

good luck with that. I will take your word for it. Brew on good men!

Old 12-01-2010, 04:40 PM   #10
DeepSouthGal
Recipes 

I just watched the "Chicha" episode on Brew Masters and they said it had some spices and herbs in it as well. I believe they said cloves, cinnamon, fennel, and local Peruvian Spearmint. I don't know if this is all of them, but it is all that I caught. They also filtered it through a hay lined basket to give the Chicha an earthy nuance.

Quick Reply