The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Brew in the garage

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #21
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1897 Times on 1368 Posts
Likes Given: 1043

Garage has been awesome for me for about 9 months out of the year, when I won't freeze my sack (of grain).

It's big enough that I don't need to worry about opening a door or anything, but it's a good idea if you have a smaller garage.

Nowadays I use an electric kettle most of the time, but when it was Propane Burner, I'd just be careful not to walk away from it while it was on. The danger is really very low if you just keep flammable sht form getting too close to it.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #22
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 550 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Garage has been awesome for me for about 9 months out of the year, when I won't freeze my sack (of grain).

It's big enough that I don't need to worry about opening a door or anything, but it's a good idea if you have a smaller garage.

Nowadays I use an electric kettle most of the time, but when it was Propane Burner, I'd just be careful not to walk away from it while it was on. The danger is really very low if you just keep flammable sht form getting too close to it.
You have grain in your sack?

Actually, the bigger danger when brewing in a garage is carbon monoxide poisoning. Even if you have a big garage you need to ventilate unless it is something like 10,000 sq ft.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #23
NervousDad
BFM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 181

I brew in my garage,but the door at least half open with a CO monitor. The propane tank is always on the outside of my garage. I have a fire extinguisher, but worst case I can just roll the entire stand out the door.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:08 PM   #24
Krieger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

OP, I was in the same boat as you. The only difference is that my wife and daughter both hated the smell of the brewing process. So much so that this spring my wife bought me a propane burner. I now have 2-3 batches on it. I just set it out in the driveway in front of the garage, keep the tank as far away as I can. I haven't had any problems yet. The bonus is that it's faster than brewing in the kitchen, and the girls in the house complain less... which means I get to brew more. Come winter, I dont know what I'll do. I'm hoping to have a a decent pipeline so I dont have to brew cause it gets damn cold here. Brewing with the garage door open during a New England winter isn't all that appealing to me.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #25
TangoHotel
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 65 Posts

I went garage months ago and I will open the garage door and one of the back doors for ventilation. In the winter I run a box fan to help circulate any air in and out of the garage in the event of any CO.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #26
rt4philly
Recipes 

I finally brewed in the garage last weekend. It was great. As they say in the movie Step Brothers "so much more space for activities." Easy clean up too. Only drawback is it's been about 100 degrees all week! About 37-38 degrees Celsius for you European chaps. So I may bring down a box fan next time, not as much for ventilation but for air circulation.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #27
JDGator
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 7

if your propane burner is burning properly there will be almost no CO present. you could run the burner all day and have less CO then if you ran your car for 15min.

i have run propane heaters and even kerosene heaters in my garage and have never set my alarm off. but if i start my Gator up without the door open it will go off after 30min of so.

But on the safe side, i do have 2 fire extinguishers and i leave my man door open some.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #28
b-boy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 372 Times on 275 Posts
Likes Given: 111

I use NG and brew in my garage exclusively. I brew on a stand and generally have 2 burners going. I have a CO detector and fire extinguishers just in case. I usually just crack the garage door about 1/3 of the way for ventilation. I have rubber flooring, so I put a piece of cement board under the burners to deflect the heat.

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:19 PM   #29
Jon73
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Couldn't wait to brew in the garage. Trying to boil 7-8 gallons on an electric stove is borderline futile. I always brew with the garage door up and the hose is on for any just-in-case moments. I also have a fire extinguisher but I've never come close to needing it. Now that my daughter is old enough that I don't have to worry about her bumping into anything hot, I would never go back to brewing in the house.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:18 PM   #30
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 649 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 385

I set up my burner just outside the garage door, and set up a folding table with my mash tun and other brew day supplies inside the garage. Never had any problems with fumes from the propane. The plus is that I can close the garage door if the damn cat needs to get into his litter box when I'm brewing.

Quick Reply