Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Brew Dog?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2012, 03:54 AM   #1
McBrewskie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 302 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Default Brew Dog?

I need a brew dog. I am thinking of an English Bulldog but they're supposed to be high maintenance and have health problems. Thoughts on other breeds or just share your dog?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 04:10 AM   #2
HancockBrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBrewskie
I need a brew dog. I am thinking of an English Bulldog but they're supposed to be high maintenance and have health problems. Thoughts on other breeds or just share your dog?
You are right in regards to English Bulldogs being high maintenance. My old bull had to eat special food that was $$$ and could not go outside on a hot day because of their skin problems. I currently have a boxer who is the best brew dog around. Not only does she drink beer but she eats my spent grains as if it was a treat. Great family dog too! Good luck!

Old 04-11-2012, 04:36 AM   #3
djfriesen
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 5

My dog (mini schnauzer) eats my spent grains and then craps all over the place later. Including the house if it's at night and we don't hear her trying to get let out. Not a fun cleanup.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:41 AM   #4
bb239605
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I just got two new brew puppies! A hound/shepard mix and a lab/boxer mix. Great little things that I have been teaching to clean up after me. Spilled beer, spilled wort, etc. I also have a similar problem as above, they eat the spent grains and then takes dry, grainy craps all over the house that fall apart like horse sh*t.

On the plus side though, i mix the grain with some P.B., flour, and egg then bake it till its completly dried out and i have cheap dog treats that they love!

Oh also, the boxer/lab mix is the dumbest dog i have ever owned. The hound mix is smart as a whip but that lab mix is just plain stupid.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:32 AM   #5
Chap
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 48

We currently have 2 English Bulldogs... they are lazy, they fart a lot, they snore loud and all the time, they aren't the brightest species, they do whatever the hell they want whenever the hell they want to... I wouldn't be without them

Boxers are awesome as well, fantastic family dogs!

Our Bully's... Cali and Butu

dsc_3340.jpg  

Old 04-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
tom_gamer
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I got a rottweiler, she keeps all the other animals away from the pot. Super low maintenance, although I would recommend brushing often.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #7
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 716 Times on 502 Posts
Likes Given: 1807

You can't go wrong with a Golden Retriever, but they do shed blonde hair everywhere. For a slower pace, the Basset Hound is sort of the couch potato of the dog world. If you're insanely active, then a Jack Russel Terrier is for you, they make the energizer bunny look lazy. Some of the best dogs are plain old mutts. No matter what breed you end up getting, I hope you'll have a look at your local animal shelter / dog pound 1st; you could easily find the best dog ever & actually save a life by adopting.
Regards, GF.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:58 AM   #8
tom_gamer
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratus fermentatio
You can't go wrong with a Golden Retriever, but they do shed blonde hair everywhere. For a slower pace, the Basset Hound is sort of the couch potato of the dog world. If you're insanely active, then a Jack Russel Terrier is for you, they make the energizer bunny look lazy. Some of the best dogs are plain old mutts. No matter what breed you end up getting, I hope you'll have a look at your local animal shelter / dog pound 1st; you could easily find the best dog ever & actually save a life by adopting.
Regards, GF.
Totally agree with the last part. I got a pit bull from a shelter once. They said the only reason they kept her was because she was so awesome. One of the best dogs I've ever had.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #9
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1946 Times on 1408 Posts
Likes Given: 1064

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_gamer View Post
I got a rottweiler, she keeps all the other animals away from the pot. Super low maintenance, although I would recommend brushing often.
Rotts are renown for keep people away from pot.

What size are you looking for? I'd suggest one that likes to fetch. I love having my yellow lab hanging around. But she is a pathetic, needy thing. Never stops asking for love, except to fetch a ball.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #10
BeerMe2
Recipes 

We have had several dogs and the best were a Boxer (smartest dog I ever saw) and a Black Lab (112lb sweetheart). We've had several "pound puppies" that were problematic except one. We currently have a Westie named St. Arnold after the patron Saint of brewers, we call him Arnie. He is a good dog but a little rascal! Both the lab and boxer were "my" dogs and the Westie only pays attention to me when the wife is not around.
I never let them get onto the spent grain, just gave a little bit to them or made cookies out of spent grains.

Quick Reply