Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Bratwursts and Shillelaghs II

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2006, 03:42 PM   #31
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwAMi75
Never been there, but I heard Habitat for Humanity has a store around there where a bunch of leftover materials from their builds are re-sold. Jon should know where it's at.
Those places are great...my wife hates it when I go there! I bought some windows for $2 each to make coldframes and an old door that I haven't figured out what to do with, miscellaneous hardware (hasps, knobs, etc). Also some landscaping plants. Now if they would just get in some utility sinks...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2007, 03:10 PM   #32
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Teaser pic:

Almost done with the cold box portion...we'll fill it in with insulation and then close it up.

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 01-04-2007, 04:43 PM   #33
Fiery Sword

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

This room looks excellent. I love the cold box idea - might be borrowing that one when it's time.

The only thing that I'd be cautious about is the faux wood flooring. While manufacturers like to claim the stuff is bulletproof, I've seen installations that over time suffer from water damage. A friend who did his entire basement with a no-name Pergo type system has boards that are pulling up along the seams due to the fact that they are in a "wet" entry area. I've also worked on a handful of residential projects with similar problems. The "cheaper" articifial wood flooring products are suspect to me, though they claim to be OK for use in wet areas. I'll ask around to see if these experiences have happened with particular brands.

Old 01-04-2007, 05:36 PM   #34
JimiGibbs

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The cold box looks really good .... Got me thinking I've got a refrigerator that size but with a built in freezer (so it won't fit a keg). Post lots of pictures. That may be my next project.

Old 01-04-2007, 05:59 PM   #35
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery Sword
This room looks excellent. I love the cold box idea - might be borrowing that one when it's time.

The only thing that I'd be cautious about is the faux wood flooring. While manufacturers like to claim the stuff is bulletproof, I've seen installations that over time suffer from water damage. A friend who did his entire basement with a no-name Pergo type system has boards that are pulling up along the seams due to the fact that they are in a "wet" entry area. I've also worked on a handful of residential projects with similar problems. The "cheaper" articifial wood flooring products are suspect to me, though they claim to be OK for use in wet areas. I'll ask around to see if these experiences have happened with particular brands.
I'm not understanding what you mean by faux wood floor.

The floor in this is a sheet of plywood with a piece of sheet metal over it, then everything is caulked air tight. Even if I do get water in there, it will pool inside the cold box. It'll be easy to clean up in theory. Nothing should get outside of that box though if I caulk it correctly.
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 01-04-2007, 06:06 PM   #36
Fiery Sword

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

From first post in thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
...the other half of the room I will rip the carpet out and put down some faux hardwood laminate and make it like a bar area, complete with bar and kegerator taps.
Sorry for the confusion. I meant the floor area in the general area of the bar - ground zero for when a drunk friend spills beer all over your beautiful new room, and floor.

Old 01-04-2007, 06:45 PM   #37
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery Sword
From first post in thread:

Sorry for the confusion. I meant the floor area in the general area of the bar - ground zero for when a drunk friend spills beer all over your beautiful new room, and floor.
Oh, okay. Yeah, that laminate floor idea got scrapped. I'm gonna leave the carpet in until it gets too nasty.

Now that I see the bar though--I'm wishing I would have ripped the carpet out. This sucker is heavy.

LOL...I just looked under the bar to see how much room that cold box will have. I can fit all 5 of my cornies, 2 carboys, and it still has room for a quarter barrel.

I cannot wait for this to be done!!!!!
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 01-04-2007, 07:18 PM   #38
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
Oh, okay. Yeah, that laminate floor idea got scrapped. I'm gonna leave the carpet in until it gets too nasty.

Now that I see the bar though--I'm wishing I would have ripped the carpet out. This sucker is heavy.

LOL...I just looked under the bar to see how much room that cold box will have. I can fit all 5 of my cornies, 2 carboys, and it still has room for a quarter barrel.

I cannot wait for this to be done!!!!!
Just did a quick measurement. 9 square feet of room. That will hold a lot of beer!!!!!

Hopefully we get close to finishing this baby tomorrow. Need to put a panel and a door on the cold box and then start the "L" part. That won't take long because it will just have shelving in it. I'm not even putting in a sink yet. No need for it IMHO.

Anyone coming here for the Super Bowl party to help christen the room?
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 01-05-2007, 07:09 PM   #39
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Good progress today:

I can start doing some finishing work now, all that needs to be done yet is to close up the cold box and then put the bar top on. This weekend I might try to get some panels to finish it off and then some laminate for the work area.

It really ties the room together. I'm happier than a puppy with two peters right now.

Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 01-06-2007, 05:53 AM   #40
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Lookin' good!

Gone unsung for far too long