Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > "Bratwursts and Shillelaghs" -- The Bar Project

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2006, 10:09 PM   #31
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablrbrau
What you are describing is adding an additional electrical service to your property. That means another meter, another monthly service charge, and possibly a more expensive installation, and definitely more expensive in the long run. Besides, you still need to get your coax for the TV's out there, and also a phone line, and I'm sure you're gonna want your computer out there so you can post with us losers at HBT. As long as you're running that stuff, you might as well run a decent electrical supply. If you do end up digging a trench, it will only be about six inches wide and will be backfilled the same day. All you'll need to do is plant a little grass seed.
Oh, got ya. Thanks.

I'll see what happens when the time comes. I'm getting concerned we may not even get the place unless the owners budge on some maintenance issues.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2006, 10:15 PM   #32
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Assuming that you do end up getting the place...

Is there a basement? To get this place the way you want it, you might be able to do it a LOT cheaper working in the basement, leaving the space above the garage for deep-storage and whatever else you usually WOULD use the basement for. You've already got plenty of power down there. Easier to tap into the cable. Won't have to worry about heating the place, or cooling it too much. Much easier all the way around.

Not as cool as having the space above the garage, but that's going to be a huge project, and if you aren't terribly handy and have to pay someone to do a lot of it will quickly get very expensive.

You'd still use the garage as Brew HQ, but you wouldn't have to worry about additional power (unless you have a lot of fridges out there, or heating, or cooling, or any of that.

Just a thought, you might end up with a lot nicer space for the same money if you work underground instead of skyward.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 10-03-2006, 10:24 PM   #33
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Assuming that you do end up getting the place...

Is there a basement? To get this place the way you want it, you might be able to do it a LOT cheaper working in the basement, leaving the space above the garage for deep-storage and whatever else you usually WOULD use the basement for. You've already got plenty of power down there. Easier to tap into the cable. Won't have to worry about heating the place, or cooling it too much. Much easier all the way around.

Not as cool as having the space above the garage, but that's going to be a huge project, and if you aren't terribly handy and have to pay someone to do a lot of it will quickly get very expensive.

You'd still use the garage as Brew HQ, but you wouldn't have to worry about additional power (unless you have a lot of fridges out there, or heating, or cooling, or any of that.

Just a thought, you might end up with a lot nicer space for the same money if you work underground instead of skyward.
Nope. Basements in houses around here are pretty rare.

My only option is the upstairs garage. Cost won't really be a problem--I'll try to keep it low and do everything myself. If I screw it up, I rip it out and buy new materials. This way I should get some pretty cool new tools too, so it is win-win.
I won't fukc with electricity though.
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 10-03-2006, 10:44 PM   #34
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
Nope. Basements in houses around here are pretty rare.

My only option is the upstairs garage. Cost won't really be a problem--I'll try to keep it low and do everything myself. If I screw it up, I rip it out and buy new materials. This way I should get some pretty cool new tools too, so it is win-win.
I won't fukc with electricity though.
Ah come on, Dude- It only hurts for a little while And the fireworks are really cool

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 10-03-2006, 10:53 PM   #35
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablrbrau
Ah come on, Dude- It only hurts for a little while And the fireworks are really cool
In my automotive electricity class, the instructor kept saying if you screwed something up, "you'd let the smoke out", meaning the wires frying and smoking meant you were a tool.

Let's just say I was letting lots of smoke out of those wires. Ummm...I'll be needing to take that class again before I get my automotive degree.
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 10-05-2006, 03:11 PM   #36
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Well, taking the pics down. We released ourselves from the contract today because the current owners refuse to do the maintenance issues we asked for.

Stay tuned for a "Bratwursts and Shillelaghs II" thread, hopefully in the coming weeks.

Thanks everyone for the valuable input though--maybe we can put those ideas together later!

Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 10-05-2006, 03:24 PM   #37
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Total bummer. No use crying over spilled milk though, time to find a better one.

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Old 10-05-2006, 03:32 PM   #38
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

Maybe you should just buy and move into a bar. You know, set up a little room with cots in the back for the wife and little one. Maybe a wash board in the slop sink. But then you would have a great place to hang out and drink with tons of space for the toys. Maybe there is an old TGIFridays or something you can pick up cheap.

Old 10-05-2006, 04:23 PM   #39
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewpastor
Maybe you should just buy and move into a bar. You know, set up a little room with cots in the back for the wife and little one. Maybe a wash board in the slop sink. But then you would have a great place to hang out and drink with tons of space for the toys. Maybe there is an old TGIFridays or something you can pick up cheap.
Best. Idea. Ever.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 10-05-2006, 04:32 PM   #40
DesertBrew
You're not my type

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 154

Bummer Dude. Did you try a offer reduction instead of the repairs?

Quick Reply