Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > "Bratwursts and Shillelaghs" -- The Bar Project

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2006, 06:59 PM   #21
sause
Steel Comma Ale & Lagery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I agree with the others couchs are would be great. My personal opinions are that the bar should be by the stairs ,since you would be serving your back would be to the stairs. The TV on the other end of the room. With couchs on the side walls this should give you space the a dart board right by the stairs and every one will be able to see one TV. 20x12 is quite a big space, the couchs wouldn't need alot of hieght. Shelves could be put on either side of the tv.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2006, 07:16 PM   #22
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Get some stools. The short ones, not the taller ones.

Old 09-29-2006, 07:36 PM   #23
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
Thanks for all the suggestions.

A couple of things to clarify why I "proposed" it the way I did.

1. The bar shape was just a wag to maximize seats. After your suggestions, yes, I am actually leaning more towards a portable type bar now. I mean, who is actually going to sit at the bar? I dunno.

2. I do think I'm going to add a couch at some point, but damn I gotta keep costs down. I have a feelign after I purchase all the drywall and a window A/C unit my costs are going to be outrageous. I have to do this as cheaply as I can, but I don't want this place to be cheesy.

3. I also have to worry about flooring. Im a total retard when it comes to home improvement, so I have no idea where to start.

4. My TVs will have to be what I have right now. I have an extra 36 incher that flickers pretty badly but it will have to do for now. The other one in the left corner is a small 19 incher that will go on a shelf in the corner. So, shoot me getting a plasma out of the sky for a LONG, LONG time. If I got a plasma I'd have a hard time convincing SWMBO that it belongs up there.

5. Lighting, yes, may be a problem. I'll prolly add track lighting or something down the road. For now, that flourescent light in the center along with some cheap stand-up lamps will do for the time brewing.

6. I don't know if I can line up couches on the sides or not. The roof slope is so steep right there that my first inclination is the only thing that will work will be shelves. We'll see.

6. The roof has ventilation fans. Shouldn't be a problem. I'll prolly heat it with an electric heat fan. It really never gets too cold here anyway.

7. Yes, dartboard is absolutely mandatory. If you notice in the drawing, the first place I imagined it was hanging on the wall at the top of the steps. The red line at the top of the steps is the throwing line, just for reference. Would suck if you popped somebody with a dart as they walk up the steps though. So now, if I go with a smaller bar, I could move it to the opposite corner. That'll work better.

8. Electricity. The downstairs part of the garage has outlets, so I'll prolly end up getting an electrician to maximize the power on the second floor. Plus I'll need to up the power anyway for the window unit.
First of all, -HOLY CRAP DUDE, if i didn't know any better Id've thought I was looking at pics of my own garage upstairs. It looks almost exactly the same 'cept mine has a small dormer going out one side.

A couple thoughts:
I dunno about the dartboard. The ceiling is kinda low, and your darts may wind up hitting the ceiling. Just a thought.

Don't be too shocked when the electrician gives you his bill. You're probably going to need a decent sized subpanel out there to feed all the toys that you'll be putting in (assuming there isn't already one out there.) That means trenching from the house to the garage, burying pipe, coax for the TVs, phone lines, etc. I'd volunteer, but VA is kinda far......

I wouldn't use a heat fan out there if I wuz you. IMHO they are a fire waiting to happen. Have the electrician put in one or two baseboard heaters. Much more efficient, and a lot safer, and can be controlled by a line-voltage thermostat. That's all I can think of at the moment. I'll post more if I think of anything else.
Sorry if this was kinda negative....

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 09-29-2006 at 09:38 PM.

Old 09-29-2006, 07:54 PM   #24
Flyin' Lion

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

You could also install a trapdoor that goes over the stairwell entrance, thereby creating a needed "safety net" so to speak (for the drunkards).

Old 09-29-2006, 07:59 PM   #25
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 373 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 98

As to the floor, it depends a little bit on what condition the current floor is in. You might be able to put down a cheap hardwood laminate, that's a pretty easy project, but you would need to have a pretty level base to begin with (which I doubt they concerned themselves too highly with when they built this).

Do you have a budget in mind?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 09-29-2006, 08:06 PM   #26
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Floor wise I always wanted to have a astro turf type floor, and with the Packer decore it just might work for ya. Head to Home Depot and check out prices on that plastic grass indoor/outdoor "carpet". It's not too expensive, ya wont have to worry about things being spilt on it and you can paint yard lines onto it

As for the stairs I figured you were going to put up a few studs and dry wall them off just dont put a door in at the top

Old 09-29-2006, 08:44 PM   #27
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumbaa
Floor wise I always wanted to have a astro turf type floor, and with the Packer decore it just might work for ya. Head to Home Depot and check out prices on that plastic grass indoor/outdoor "carpet". It's not too expensive, ya wont have to worry about things being spilt on it and you can paint yard lines onto it

As for the stairs I figured you were going to put up a few studs and dry wall them off just dont put a door in at the top
...or you could paint a field with yard markers right on your floor...

Old 09-30-2006, 01:07 AM   #28
Truble

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Don't think that this has been suggested yet, and I am not sure of your budget, but I would dorma one side of the roof. I would do this before I bought the TV or any of the other toys. Before you get comfy, jack half the roof and dorma it if it is in your budget. You will gain more useable floorspace, and it will work better in the long run.

check out a quick drawing that shows the available space w/wo a dorma

Primary: Octoberfest
mini 1G Primary: nichts
Secondary #1: #97 Pale Ale
Secondary #2 nichts
Bottled/Conditioning: nichts

Fully ConditionedDrinking: nichts
All Gone!:
Everything

Old 10-03-2006, 08:58 PM   #29
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablrbrau
First of all, -HOLY CRAP DUDE, if i didn't know any better Id've thought I was looking at pics of my own garage upstairs. It looks almost exactly the same 'cept mine has a small dormer going out one side.

A couple thoughts:
I dunno about the dartboard. The ceiling is kinda low, and your darts may wind up hitting the ceiling. Just a thought.

Don't be too shocked when the electrician gives you his bill. You're probably going to need a decent sized subpanel out there to feed all the toys that you'll be putting in (assuming there isn't already one out there.) That means trenching from the house to the garage, burying pipe, coax for the TVs, phone lines, etc. I'd volunteer, but VA is kinda far......

I wouldn't use a heat fan out there if I wuz you. IMHO they are a fire waiting to happen. Have the electrician put in one or two baseboard heaters. Much more efficient, and a lot safer, and can be controlled by a line-voltage thermostat. That's all I can think of at the moment. I'll post more if I think of anything else.
Sorry if this was kinda negative....

Not negative at all--big help. We fully plan on spending a bunch for an electrician to come out. I need to look and see exactly what kind of power is out there already. Might even be a sub-panel--not sure.

Wouldn't they just be able to tap into the outside power lines and add a panel? I'd rather that instead of trenching through the yard and crap.

Good idea on the baseboard heaters--with all of that unused space on the sides that is a great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumbaa

Actually was already leanign towards that option for at least part of the floor in the "Packer" part of the room. Near the bar area I was considering a laminate so it would be easier to clean spills and such.
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
...or you could paint a field with yard markers right on your floor...
Most definitely.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 10-03-2006, 10:07 PM   #30
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
Might even be a sub-panel--not sure.

Wouldn't they just be able to tap into the outside power lines and add a panel? I'd rather that instead of trenching through the yard and crap.
What you are describing is adding an additional electrical service to your property. That means another meter, another monthly service charge, and possibly a more expensive installation, and definitely more expensive in the long run. Besides, you still need to get your coax for the TV's out there, and also a phone line, and I'm sure you're gonna want your computer out there so you can post with us losers at HBT. As long as you're running that stuff, you might as well run a decent electrical supply. If you do end up digging a trench, it will only be about six inches wide and will be backfilled the same day. All you'll need to do is plant a little grass seed.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Quick Reply