Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Brand New Nikon D40 DSLR: 1st Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2007, 01:52 PM   #1
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Brand New Nikon D40 DSLR: 1st Photos

We finally broke down and picked up a DSLR last night. Been hoarding Circuit City gift cards that we get from our credit card rewards program, and some other coupons, so we got a great price at the end of the day for the package, which included 18-55 and 55-200 lenses. I took a few pics with it already, and it is just unbelievable. The quality might not be fully realized with compressed jpg's in the HBT gallery, but it is one hell of a camera!

Xander...

And the Tripel Twins (Chimay on the left, Rochefort on the right):

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2007, 01:55 PM   #2
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I'm happy with my Canon so far. No changeable lenses though. Those are nice shots...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 11-16-2007, 02:10 PM   #3
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I got the same camera earlier this year Evan, how do you like the 55-200 lens? (I only have the 28-55 at the moment.)

I've really been liking the pictures I've been getting with mine, but I need a zoom lens and in general I need something a little faster than what the camera came with out of the box.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 11-16-2007, 02:12 PM   #4
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
We finally broke down and picked up a DSLR last night. Been hoarding Circuit City gift cards that we get from our credit card rewards program, and some other coupons, so we got a great price at the end of the day for the package, which included 18-55 and 55-200 lenses. I took a few pics with it already, and it is just unbelievable. The quality might not be fully realized with compressed jpg's in the HBT gallery, but it is one hell of a camera!

Xander...

And the Tripel Twins (Chimay on the left, Rochefort on the right):

Damn fine pics.

I don't know what's more amazing, the picture quality or the fact that you have two beers fermenting that appear to be below 20 SRM.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:25 PM   #5
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJadedDog
I got the same camera earlier this year Evan, how do you like the 55-200 lens? (I only have the 28-55 at the moment.)

I've really been liking the pictures I've been getting with mine, but I need a zoom lens and in general I need something a little faster than what the camera came with out of the box.
The 55-200 is simply amazing. I mean, between the two, I can go from very wide at 18, which means great indoor close-up shots, to zoomed across a parking lot with 200. I highly recommend it. What do you mean by "faster"? Is the lens reaction just too slow? Because mine has about the same reaction time as my analog SLR Nikon.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 11-16-2007, 02:26 PM   #6
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobrewtus
Damn fine pics.

I don't know what's more amazing, the picture quality or the fact that you have two beers fermenting that appear to be below 20 SRM.
I know, who'da thunk it? They're both 5.6 SRM!

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 11-16-2007, 02:50 PM   #7
Kayos
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Did the D50 refurbed in ebay with the 2 lenses. If you have kids you MUST have a DSLR and a zoom. Shutter lag = missed moments. We went from a few pictures per football and karate lesson to the team picture taker. Just awesome. I think either brand (Canon or Nikon) is close in product, just whatever the price and store has. Oh.... and if you are looking, might I recommend the bay to find deals onthe stuff (thought I know how those rebates and gift cards make things almost free when you do it right).

Congrats on a purchase you will only grow fonder of!

Old 11-16-2007, 03:17 PM   #8
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
The 55-200 is simply amazing. I mean, between the two, I can go from very wide at 18, which means great indoor close-up shots, to zoomed across a parking lot with 200. I highly recommend it. What do you mean by "faster"? Is the lens reaction just too slow? Because mine has about the same reaction time as my analog SLR Nikon.
By fast I mean ability to take photos in low light due to lower f/number. For example, I'm looking at a 50mm lens with f/1.8 which will let in enough light that I can use a fast shutter speed even inside so I can take indoor action shots if I really want to.

I'm thinking about getting the 55-200 f/4-5.6 with vibration reduction. It's like $50 more than the regular 55-200.

My favorite thing about digital SLR (although others feel the exact opposite) is that it raises the apparent zoom of lenses (20 a 50mm becomes a 75mm). I like it because it means 200mm becomes 300mm.

Anyway, enjoy the new camera man (I got mine right before my sister-in-law's wedding; what a great excuse to avoid everyone).

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 11-16-2007, 03:22 PM   #9
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJadedDog
By fast I mean ability to take photos in low light due to lower f/number. For example, I'm looking at a 50mm lens with f/1.8 which will let in enough light that I can use a fast shutter speed even inside so I can take indoor action shots if I really want to.

I'm thinking about getting the 55-200 f/4-5.6 with vibration reduction. It's like $50 more than the regular 55-200.

My favorite thing about digital SLR (although others feel the exact opposite) is that it raises the apparent zoom of lenses (20 a 50mm becomes a 75mm). I like it because it means 200mm becomes 300mm.

Anyway, enjoy the new camera man (I got mine right before my sister-in-law's wedding; what a great excuse to avoid everyone).
Oh, I get it now. My 55-200 is 1:4-5.6 and the 18-55 is 1:3.5-5.6. Very nice. Oh, and here's a pic that I just took from my office window with the 200 zoom. That's Monticello you're looking at up there. Wow, I LOVE the zoom. You should see this picture full-size...you can see the individual windows up there...

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 11-16-2007, 03:23 PM   #10
jdoiv

Recipes 

Very nice pics. Did you get the D40 or the D40x? I've been scoping out the D40x package they have at Costco, just haven't had the dough to spend on it yet. Maybe I get it the first part of next year.

Fermenting:
Planning:

Quick Reply