Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Boycott stores on Thanksgiving day.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 05:00 AM   #71
kh54s10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 679 Times on 576 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
I don't have a cold heart. I do see that there are adults out there, with kids, that must choose to work on the holiday or lose the job they need. I do truly feel sorry for them.

But this is the way of the world. As dark and difficult as their plight might seem to you, we have it good compared to times past and places distant. I just returned from China, where most of the country works ridiculous hours for laughable pay. There are 750 million of them.
This has very little to do with American companies chasing the almighty dollar at the expense of their employees that would rather not work on Thanksgiving day!

Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 05:00 AM   #72
The_Dog_42
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
... the patience they have with the patients is amazing.

HA! Patience with patients. Awesome.

I wish it were well conveyed that essential services (fire, health-related, police, hospice care) are extremely appreciated.

On topic, I don't think retail should be open on memorial and veterens day to show a little respect to the troops. Thanksgiving and Christmas are no brainers. Be lazy, RDWDAHB, watch football.
My 10 yr old chocolate lab Guinness :D thinks her name is goddammit dog or fu@%in' puppy...I think if she were registerable :drunk: her full name would Goddammit Guinness Stop It...Go Away!!! And we Love her dearly :)
My Keg-O-Vision (Kegerator) Build

My Butcherblock-esque Fermentation Chamber
Revvy Likes This 
Old 11-15-2012, 05:07 AM   #73
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dog_42 View Post
HA! Patience with patients. Awesome.

I wish it were well conveyed that essential services (fire, health-related, police, hospice care) are extremely appreciated.

On topic, I don't think retail should be open on memorial and veterens day to show a little respect to the troops. Thanksgiving and Christmas are no brainers. Be lazy, RDWDAHB, watch football.
Yeah I'm proud of that little turn of phrase. Of course Sudbuster will be offended that I showed PRIDE there I'm sure.

I agree whole heartedly with the idea of no sales on Memorial Day and Vets day as well.

You know what we need? I don't know what we'd call it. But there's really NO holiday for "essential service providers" is there? I mean we even have secretary's day...But is thee a "First Responders Day?" You'd think sept 11 would be a good day to honor it...But that would take away from the other part of that day.....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-15-2012, 05:29 AM   #74
TowsonTiger22
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1818 Times on 1783 Posts
Likes Given: 146

I did 4 years of mall security (because my choice of post college jobs was nonexistant). Thanksgiving always sucked, as the retail world keeps edging openings earlier and earlier. But, it's money.

I say, boycott pilgrims. If it wasn't for those turkey eating douchers, we wouldn't be worrying about this.

Primary: None
Secondary: Nothing there either
Kegged: Porter, Pale Ale

Old 11-15-2012, 05:32 AM   #75
TowsonTiger22
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
This has very little to do with American companies chasing the almighty dollar at the expense of their employees that would rather not work on Thanksgiving day!
What if you're a person of another religion that does not celebrate thanksgiving? And now you're being penalized a day's pay for something you don't believe in?

Old 11-15-2012, 05:32 AM   #76
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowsonTiger22 View Post

I say, boycott pilgrims. If it wasn't for those turkey eating douchers, we wouldn't be worrying about this.
I just watched the "Good Eats" Thanksgiving episode, evidently they didn't even eat turkey. It was goose and duck, and venison and fish.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-15-2012, 05:34 AM   #77
TowsonTiger22
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I just watched the "Good Eats" Thanksgiving episode, evidently they didn't even eat turkey. It was goose and duck, and venison and fish.
These are lies propagated by terrorists. In my 'murica, we eat turkey.

Revvy Likes This 
Old 11-15-2012, 05:37 AM   #78
The_Dog_42

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Now there's an idea. Give them all the day off.

"This is our life with you in it...

This is our life without you...

Any questions?"

All this boycotting talk has got me thinking about how I can show a little appreciation. Not really willing to go out (especially since I'll be camping in a national forest) but it seems like a good idea.

My 10 yr old chocolate lab Guinness :D thinks her name is goddammit dog or fu@%in' puppy...I think if she were registerable :drunk: her full name would Goddammit Guinness Stop It...Go Away!!! And we Love her dearly :)
My Keg-O-Vision (Kegerator) Build

My Butcherblock-esque Fermentation Chamber

Old 11-15-2012, 05:58 AM   #79
mmb
FNG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3204 Times on 3106 Posts
Likes Given: 181

Don't want to work retail on Black Friday or whatever other stupid name they have for those shopping days?

Here's an idea!

Don't work retail. There's dozens of other low pay, no qualification work you can take like car wash opperator, gas station attendant, or fast food line cook. High school girls are constantly quitting McDonald's, you could waltz right in there and get a job with your resume.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:05 AM   #80
jmendez29

Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmb View Post
Don't want to work retail on Black Friday or whatever other stupid name they have for those shopping days?

Here's an idea!

Don't work retail. There's dozens of other low pay, no qualification work you can take like car wash opperator, gas station attendant, or fast food line cook. High school girls are constantly quitting McDonald's, you could waltz right in there and get a job with your resume.
Yeah, in the Nav we called it "choose your rate, choose your fate". I work a lot of holidays. I work in a power plant so it's not like we can just "shut 'er down" and all go home. Everybody has to have their tv. But it comes with the job. There are plenty of people who LOVE working retail. There are plenty who don't. In my opinion, if you love your job, you are in the very lucky minority. If you hate your job, it is your responsibility to do something about it. I did. And by the way, I don't have a college education, so don't tell me its not possible. It's not easy, I'll give you that, but it can be done.

With that said, I refuse to go shopping in a physical store on the Friday or Saturday after Thanksgiving. I typically wait at least a week if I need anything I don't buy online. I refuse to contribute to the frenzy that leads to fistfights and people getting trampled.

And to finish, can someone please explain to me the association between thanksgiving and Christianity? Aside from the pilgrims being Christians, I didn't think it was considered a religious holiday.

Does that make me an ***hole?

No, that's not what makes you an ***hole.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply