Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Boycott stores on Thanksgiving day.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 03:20 AM   #41
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2726 Times on 1634 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4life View Post
Or fast food, or be a certified nursing assistant, or work for the town, or do construction or landscaping, etc, etc, etc....
So I'm a single parent with barely a Highschool education, living below the poverty line. The only job I could get on my busline (because I don't have a car) is at the local Mega-wally-k-mart....it's not much but it keeps me off of food stamps. BUT I can barely make child care costs as it is. So NOW I am forced to work on T-giving.....I don't know who's going to watch my kids on that day since it's a holiday and the cheap day care I can afford won't be open. So my choice it to what, quit today and suddenly be trained as an CRNA, Fast Food worker, Landscaper in a week, so I don't have to work it, or have a break in pay, and maybe health care for me and my family?

These are the folks who I counsel at my church in Detroit (where FYI, I don't get paid regularly for my work because we're in the inner city, so I work a day job at a Medical School to have an income/benefits.)

I don't get what you're saying with your analogy. If they're already working in retail what would you have them do next week?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 03:20 AM   #42
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....

Recipes 

Liked 267 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
Please keep this abusive s#*t out of my thread.

Totally uncalled for!
I liked this post! But it's not uncalled for. There are many Christians who are totally offended by Revvy's avatar, not to mention previous ones.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:21 AM   #43
Diaperload
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I've never shopped at 4am on Black Friday in the past.

When the trend of opening at Midnight on Thanksgiving started I decided to see what it was about.

Around 11pm I stood in line for an hour while it was cold and rainy. Didn't buy any of the big ticket items. I couldn't have even if I wanted. It was so packed around the home electronics that I didn't even venture to that part of the store.

I'll never do it again though. Wasn't worth the effort, the crowds, etc. Once was enough just to see what it was like.

"I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out."

Old 11-15-2012, 03:24 AM   #44
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2726 Times on 1634 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudbuster View Post
I liked this post! But it's not uncalled for. There are many Christians who are totally offended by Revvy's avatar, not to mention previous ones.
So were you offended by the movie Dogma, where I took it from? Methinks you just hate me......Oh well. No one else has been offended by it, at least hasn't said anything to me. And I don't really care what you think.

I like George Carlin.*shrug* You don't like it. Block me...then we'll both be at peace.

I learned a long time ago that the role of a minister is to comfort the afflicted, and afflict the comfortable, and most of all....to get folks to think.

I believe and teach that if something pushes our buttons, the fault is not with the person who supposedly pushes us, but something in ourselves that allow us to be upset. If you're upset at me, I'm really just a mirror and the issue is inside of you. You might not like it. But that's life......I'm me, you're you, deal with it or not.....But I haven't done anything wrong, other than just being me (Maybe that's the problem, you don't allow yourself to be "you," worts, flaws and all. I do, and share/point out my flaws all the time, both on the pulpit, in life and on here. It's called "freedom.") And whether you approve or not...I don't define myself based on yours, or anyone for that matter's approval. I learned that lesson 17 years ago when I put the barrel of a gun in my mouth and came close to pulling the trigger, because I felt that "people didn't like me." I didn't and decided to start living for myself, being the best me I could possibly be, no matter what anyone else thought how I should be....And just MAYBE I could help a few folks along the way. You don't like how I do it, plenty of folks do.....*shrug*

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Rev2010 Likes This 
Old 11-15-2012, 03:24 AM   #45
mtandy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So much anger in a thread about thanksgiving. It's upsetting. This will happen every year, and arguing and such in this thread doesn't change a thing. ...Relax, don't worry.....

Old 11-15-2012, 03:25 AM   #46
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2533 Times on 1486 Posts
Likes Given: 5708

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccumath View Post
Kinda funny though.

Unfortunately, some folks (including myself) provide services to the public (i.e. RN), which sometimes includes holidays. Not complaining, we just "know what we signed up for". Not like I want to work holidays, but I guess I will be there when dumb fvckers put a frozen turkey in the deep fryer, or have a heart attack at the table, or get too drunk and crack their head open on the icy front steps of their home (all of which I have seen). Maybe you folks should be supportive of the people that are working those days to provide services that other consumers require, including retail and other goods/services that you want/ need. Take a turkey to your local E.R., buy coffee and donuts for your places of business, etc. Unfortunately folks have to work on holidays, but boycotting does not solve the problem. Unless you can persuade folks (more than voted in the last election) to boycott businesses, support the folks that have to work...
I'm in the military and this year is the first in four that I'm going to be home on Thanksgiving. Of course, by 'home' I mean not 500 ft underwater or being stuck on duty on a submarine. I would never ask someone to give up the time they should be spending with their family to show me any special favor.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 11-15-2012, 03:27 AM   #47
Punity
ECS 4 LIFE!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 247 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 50

They work retail hazard of the job they are in that line of work. I work with chemicals that can kill me on a daily basis hazard of my job. But between no paycheck and paycheck I think 100% choose the check.
They chose to work there. If they don't like it quit.

As it is holidays are an arbitrary day. You can gather your family together to enjoy each others company any day they feel like. Already had my thanksgiving and Christmas will most likely be the same.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:27 AM   #48
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....

Recipes 

Liked 267 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
Who said anything about boycotting Thanksgiving????

This is about Retailers (YES) FORCING their employees to work on Thanksgiving day so that they can beat the other retailers to the punch!
]Who said anything about boycotting Thanksgiving????"DO NOT SHOP ON THANKSGIVING DAY! That's a quot from your previous post. Maybe you are confused, but that's the definition of boycotting.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:28 AM   #49
rs4life
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
So I'm a single parent with barely a Highschool education, living below the poverty line. The only job I could get on my busline (because I don't have a car) is at the local Mega-wally-k-mart....it's not much but it keeps me off of food stamps. BUT I can barely make child care costs as it is. So NOW I am forced to work on T-giving.....I don't know who's going to watch my kids on that day since it's a holiday and the cheap day care I can afford won't be open. So my choice it to what, quit today and suddenly be trained as an CRNA, Fast Food worker, Landscaper in a week, so I don't have to work it, or have a break in pay, and maybe health care for me and my family?

These are the folks who I counsel at my church in Detroit (where I don't get paid regularly for my work because we're in the inner city, so I work a day job at a Medical School to have an income/benefits.)

I don't get what you're saying with your analogy. If they're already working in retail what would you have them do next week?
My point is that you live in the US and have a choice of jobs. My mother put herself through school with a teenage daughter and myself (a young child) to become an RN while dealing with a deadbeat, alcoholic husband. People give up too easily and then bitch and moan ( I work with plenty of people like this) when they have to work a **** job, like retail (that I worked for years in). If you don't like your job then either butt-up and shut up or find a new job. Excuses have never made anyone have a better life.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:28 AM   #50
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 595 Times on 503 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
My daughter wants to work. She really likes her job and is excited to work there. I do not make this up, really. I have no problem with it, either. If she didn't want to do it, I'd support her quitting and finding something else. No emotion necessary here.
o

It is great that your daughter really likes her job and I don't have any problem with that. But, there are a lot of people who work in retail because there are not a lot of options out there. My state has the second largest unemployment rate. There are very few jobs available outside of retail and service.

Having retail chains open on Thanksgiving day for these Black Friday sales is a very new phenomenon. And it is not something that most employees have any choice about. If it were something where the employees could choose to work or to stay with their families I would be all for it, but it is not.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply