The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Boycott Magic Hat Brewing Company...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2010, 04:15 AM   #1
rabidgerbil
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Boycott Magic Hat Brewing Company...

Moderators, if this is the wrong place to post this, I apologize, and please let me know... that being said, on with my rant...

So I thought that it was just big energy drink companies that were jerks, and went around telling people what they could name their beers... I was wrong. A letter went out today from Georgetown Brewing Company in Seattle, to their regular customers, informing us that they will no longer be marketing their fantastic porter under the name 9 LB Porter. The original name of the beer, and the logo, come from the fact that it was brewed for a bar just down the street from the brewery, the 9# Hammer.

I do not work for Georgetown, nor do I have any connection to the brewery, other than the fact that I love this beer. I just think that this is a jerk move on the part of Alan Newman and Magic Hat, and I think that people should know about how others run their businesses, and think about who they chose to spend their money with.

For those of you facebookers who want to show support for Georgetown, you can like to my Magic Hat Sucks group below.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...27550757278834

My LHBS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2010, 05:00 AM   #2
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

i'm missing something.

why is magic hat trying to make them change the name?

Old 06-15-2010, 07:00 AM   #3
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I'd guess it is because Magic Hat has an Apricot wheat beer (I think) called "#9"

Old 06-15-2010, 10:22 AM   #4
rabidgerbil

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yes, because Magic Hat has #9, and Georgetown has 9 LB Porter, often written in bars/restaurants as 9# Porter... Makes me wonder if Magic Hat is going to threaten to sue Baltika next, since they have a #9 also.

My LHBS

Old 06-15-2010, 12:39 PM   #5
bonzombiekitty
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerbil View Post
Yes, because Magic Hat has #9, and Georgetown has 9 LB Porter, often written in bars/restaurants as 9# Porter... Makes me wonder if Magic Hat is going to threaten to sue Baltika next, since they have a #9 also.
Or it could be for totally different reasons, or Georgetown is just being careful. You're bashing Magic Hat (which, for the record, I don't have any special love for) without any real evidence.

Even if Magic Hat was suing or threatening to sue, the brand names between the beers are similar enough that frankly, they do have a case. It wouldn't be a case of one company suing another company for selling a completely different product that has a very vaguely similar sounding name (as Monster Cable tends to do). It would be a case of suing over a very similar sounding name for a similar product that could, arguably, cause confusion in the market.

Last edited by bonzombiekitty; 06-15-2010 at 12:44 PM.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:13 PM   #6
jgourd
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Could be just me, but #9 and 9# are two completely different things. Say it after me, "number 9 is not the same as 9 pound." I hate pricks.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:32 PM   #7
bonzombiekitty
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgourd View Post
Could be just me, but #9 and 9# are two completely different things. Say it after me, "number 9 is not the same as 9 pound." I hate pricks.
Unfortunately, it's not that simple. If the brand's logos were spelled out "Number Nine" and "nine pound", then I'd probably agree with you. However, as the branding is, the prominent feature on both of them is a giant "9" - the # or lb is of less significance. That would give Magic Hat a case if they were to sue. Not that they'd necessarily WIN, but I'd agree that they would have a case especially if the #9 was released before the 9lb.

Of course, we're talking theoretical here because nobody has demonstrated that Magic Hat has even suggested that they would sue over it. It's pure speculation at this point.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:13 PM   #8
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1900 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

So where is the site or document that shows where Magic Hat is threatening this other place? I'd like to take a look at it before I start petitioning or anything.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:22 PM   #9
rabidgerbil

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Seattle Beer News quoted the entire email that was sent out by Georgetown in their article on this.
Seattle Beer News article about 9 LB Porter being renamed.

To me, one of the key points of the email is the quote

Quote:
Alan Newman, founder of Magic Hat, contacted us one year ago and told us that our use of the name 9LB Porter was trademark infringement and that we should not have been issued a federal trademark in the first place.
So Georgetown as a legal trademark, but now Magic Hat is going after anyone that uses the number 9 in their name? All this looks like to me is a guy with a ton of money pushing around the smaller guys.

My LHBS

Old 06-15-2010, 03:48 PM   #10
mullenite
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

They need to protect their brand. If you are going to boycott Magic Hat over this then you should also be boycotting Bear Republic.

Magic Hat at least has a reliable claim here, Bear Republic doesn't IMO.

http://beernews.org/2010/02/bear-rep...ver-red-racer/

Quick Reply