Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Boston bound

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2009, 10:41 PM   #1
Bluelinebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Boston bound

Hey all, I'm headed to Boston for a week in September. Anyone got any good ideas of things to do/see while the SWMBO is in her training class?? So far on the agenda I've got: Fenway park (maybe catch a game), McGreevy's Saloon, Sam Adams brewery, U.S.S. Constitution, and so far that's about it..... any suggestions would be great!!

http://www.bluelinebrewer.com

Like my page on Facebook!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2009, 10:52 PM   #2
flylock_jac
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Boston is a small city ,but lots to do and see. The North End has great food.
Plenty of museums , historical sites and several breweries. Most of the city
is walkable if you start in a central location.
Getting tickets to Fenway in September is going to be tough and very pricey .
They've sold out every game for the last 8-9 yrs. Even if you can't get tickets it's worth the trip into the area. Plenty of bars and crowds of people hanging out .

Old 06-18-2009, 11:44 PM   #3
Bluelinebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks for the tips!! Yeah, we may not make it to an actual game, but we definitely want to try and take a tour. Of course, I'm mostly excited to tour Sam Adams!

Old 06-18-2009, 11:52 PM   #4
beergears

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Living nearby, I took one of SWMBO's cousins on one of the bus tours, and I must say, we saw a lot of stuff, with good commentary (I learned a few tidbits I didn't know). Driving around with the tour also gives a god idea of the city's feel. I recommend it.

BTW, USS Constitution.. meh. Not much there IMO

You have to spend some time on the Cambridge side of the "rivah" and look at Beacon Hill. On a good day, near sunset, it is gorgeous. Alas, Harvah Square is not what it used to be, and the days of the good, cheap jazz clubs are gone (sniff...)

You are looking at the hole in the doughnut and not the doughnut itself.
You primates are so predictable.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:21 AM   #5
Bluelinebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks for the tips. I'd really like to look at some of the historical things in Boston.... that's kinda my thing (other than beer of course).

Old 06-19-2009, 02:31 AM   #6
foxual
Recipes 

I went to Boston a few years ago for a Sox game and we wandered around the city, it was great. We ended up at the Barking Crab for lunch one day, got a bowl of crab... fed four of us no problem, although YMMV, I enjoyed it a lot. Make sure you go to Boston Beer Works, good beer and decent food, across from Fenway. Other than that do what we did and wander the city... you run into history in every corner!

Old 06-19-2009, 02:45 AM   #7
staffVAJoe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Across from fenway is a bar called BB Wolfs. BEST RIBS EVER

And at 3 in the morning go to Buzzy's roast beef (everyone knows ware it is)

Have one for me!!!

Old 06-19-2009, 10:05 AM   #8
paulthenurse

Recipes 

Location: Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah Chahles.
Liked 314 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Head to Brookline and find the Publick House, a Belgian lovers nirvana. The Sunset is a world class beer bar too but in September the college kiddies are back in town and its a bit overrun with 21 year old knuckleheads. I disagree with JL about the Consitution, I go there every few years just cause it's wicked pissa. Leave there and wander up the hill to the Bunker Hill Monument (actually built on Breeds Hill but we won't mention that). The Freedom Trail is a great way to explore the city on foot if you are into historical sites, it hits all the ones you will want to see. A Duck Tour is a fun way to kill a few hours and a cool way to see the city. If you don't already have tix to your Sox game you aint getting them without ponying up bug bucks to a scalper. They just had their 500th consecutive sellout this week gone are the days of deciding at 5:30 to hop on the subway and scoring box seats. Sam Adams brewery tour is an absolute waste of time, except you do get a few ounces of beer at the end of an hour of listening to a bored kid who is barely old enough to drink tell you how great SA is. In September you can still take a boatride out into Massachusetts Bay to Stellwagen Band and see the whales. It's an hour or so ride out, a few hours watching dozens of whales feed and play, then an hour boat ride back into the city. I've never been out there without seeing whales and I go at least once a year. When you get back wander around the North End. You'll find plenty of stuff to keep you entertained while wandering around, especially if Italy is playing a soccer game the day you are there. Go to Mikes and plan on gaining weight. Drive up to Essex county and find Woodmans Seafood, the inventor of and still the worlds best fried clams. Drive to the Cape, September is the best month of the year to be there. Go to Plymouth Plantation. Plymouth Rock is a rock, a rock in a big cage. Don't bother, but the Plantation and the Mayflower are cool. Come by my place and Ill feed you beer.

PTN
PTN

Old 06-19-2009, 12:06 PM   #9
babalu87
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Yes on the Constitution, gotta take the kids there this Summer myself.
Yes on Plimouth Rock, sure its not much but it only takes a minute and then you can head to Mayflower and Mayflower brewing.
Bukowski's because its a great dive bar.
Stellwagen BANK YOU MUST GO ON A WHALE WATCH
I have fished out there commercially and recreationaly for years and the whales are still a blast for me to see after 20 odd years.
For a lunch/beer venture try Boston Beer Works

Old 06-19-2009, 12:44 PM   #10
MikeG
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Plymouth Rock was under some kind of renovation last fall when I was there. I wish I had had time to tour the Mayflower replica but it's pretty far south of Boston.

I don't think anyone mentioned the boat tours that take you around the harbor but that might be better to take SWMBO along with you for that.

The freedom trail is a good walk that will take you to many of the sights for an historical perspective. Love those old cemeteries! Cheers is also right on the Commons.

Quick Reply