Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Is "borrowing" wireless wrong?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #171
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
If the owness is on me to implement security to protect myself from your piggybacking, if I'm concerned about it, does it not follow that the owness is on you to seek refuge in a Faraday cage to protect yourself from my EMI/RFI, if you are concerned about that?
I don't have any opinion on hiding from rampant wi-fi at all. My point was that you see question as obviously and clearly a black and white issue as if those of us who question the matter further are immoral society destroyers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 05:32 PM   #172
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
Should I even bring up the fact that on my old laptop my device would roam and reconnect to the network with the most bars and least restrictions. Sometimes it would hop off my password protected network to jump on some local linksys network and then jump back. That wasnt my choice, it was the way the device was set up to work.
I mentioned that already. It was ignored I believe.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #173
maxamuus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 34

You all will be happy to know Comcrap has restored my Internet. Only took them 2 days to do it. So now i am "legal" again.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:46 PM   #174
Jukas
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99
If the owness is on me to implement security to protect myself from your piggybacking, if I'm concerned about it, does it not follow that the owness is on you to seek refuge in a Faraday cage to protect yourself from my EMI/RFI, if you are concerned about that?
Oh good lord..

Old 01-04-2013, 09:48 PM   #175
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I mentioned that already. It was ignored I believe.
I think I commented on it, at least in a draft of something at some point.

Accidental/incidental connection to a wireless network is a very different scenario. That is probably true legally, and certainly true ethically.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that in that case, it is an open and shut ethical question. It's not "wrong" any more than any other accidental act is "wrong." To me, that means it's not wrong at all, but you are responsible for any injuries that result from it.

As a practical matter, that sort of automatic connecting behavior is a terrible configuration, for numerous reasons, but it's not exactly unethical if you're not doing it intentionally.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:14 AM   #176
whoaru99
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukas View Post
Oh good lord..

Really? I think it's a better rebuttal than Airborneguy was expecting.

Primary: Pre-prohibition Lager
Secondary: Russian Imperial Stout
Drinking: Chinook IPA
Drinking: Waldo Lake Amber
Drinking: Edwort's Apfelwein

Old 01-05-2013, 01:16 AM   #177
whoaru99
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeg View Post

As a practical matter, that sort of automatic connecting behavior is a terrible configuration, for numerous reasons, but it's not exactly unethical if you're not doing it intentionally.
When does it stop becoming unintentional if you know it's happening and can prevent it from happening? If one expects people to be smart enough to secure their wireless I think it's reasonable to expect they're smart enough to turn off the automatic connection function.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:29 AM   #178
Jukas
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
Really? I think it's a better rebuttal than Airborneguy was expecting.
It wasn't. One is an active decision (or lack of) on your part in terms of securing your network. The other is a passive action that is subjected upon someone else, possibly without their awareness.

Of course you could always provide the rebuttal that if they were concerned about the radiation/rf signal saturation it it's responsibility to do the due diligence to see what they're being subjected to. That would beg the natural rebuttal that if you were concerned about people using your wireless it's your responsibility to do the due diligence to make sure your network has at least minimal security preventing random and unauthorized use.

Your basal argument is flawed, it would be like me playing HBO on a street facing tv in my garage and then expecting passerby's to make the moral decision not to look at it because it's my cable subscription, not theirs.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:38 AM   #179
whoaru99
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukas View Post
Of course you could always provide the rebuttal that if they were concerned about the radiation/rf signal saturation it it's responsibility to do the due diligence to see what they're being subjected to. That would beg the natural rebuttal that if you were concerned about people using your wireless it's your responsibility to do the due diligence to make sure your network has at least minimal security preventing random and unauthorized use.
Which is exactly what I said.

As far as my base argument, that is unchanged; don't take what isn't yours. Simple.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:42 AM   #180
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1613 Times on 1137 Posts
Likes Given: 2710

Before I continue, let me ask... is this an actual debate (discussion of opinions and facts to support a thesis) or has it become an invitation for an argument? Because frankly, I dont give a flying arse-buggery against a rolling doughnut about the actual "crime"...

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Quick Reply