Boats.. Who has em? Who LOVES em? Who hates em?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Summer is here and a lot of us like to play on our boats. I LOVE relaxing on my boat with a nice cold Homebrew, Cranking up the stereo. I used to Wakeboard like crazy but 2 shoulder surgeries later, I just relax and tow the kids. Lets see the picts people.
If you love the boat, show it off. If you hate em... Why?

Here is a picture on Shasta Lake tied up with my dad. We had the same exact boats for years. He is older now and has moved onto a Patio Boat

Last picture is of my old boat. It has a 400+ HP small block 350 I built the boat from a PILE OF CRAP!

ffff 082.jpg

DEB'S PHONE 033.jpg

boat in water.jpg

Don't currently own one. I used to have a small aluminum rowboat. I'm not big on speed boats, powerboats, etc. I'd prefer to get a smallish, shallow running bass boat with flat decking for small lake fishing, if I were to ever buy another. Something with a steering wheel and electric start and electric trolling motor, live well, etc.

I love flycasting for panfish and bass, and using crankbaits for Pike and bass. I was just never very good at it and it's a bit of work to haul it out to the lake and everything.

I love hanging out/riding in boats... I would never want to own one. Seems like a big PITA, with the maintenance/storage/etc required. But I think that comes from my childhood memories of my dad swearing at the boat constantly every time we took it out. Always some problem or another.

After he sold it, he told me "the two best days in a man's life are the day he buys a boat, and the day he sells said boat."

On the rare occasion I feel the need to go boating, I just rent one. Split among a few friends, it's not very expensive, and when you're done with it it's not your problem anymore.

Or just hang out with someone else that already has a boat....

I have boats, in the sense that I own a couple of vessels that float and you can sit in them, but nothing like a speedboat or something that I pull on a trailer very far!

I have a 19' bucket of bolts 1995(?) pontoon boat that I put in the lake in May and take out in October, a couple of canoes and kayaks, two jon boats, and a pontoon paddle boat.

I'm not one for maintenance of toys, so I don't own anything that requires more work to use it than enjoyment I get out of it!

We are more into silent sports than motorized sports, although the pontoon boat does have a 15 horse motor on it. We just putt slowly around, and sometimes swim off it. We generally run "no wake" in our lake although it's not required by law.

I posted this elsewhere on the forum, but this is from Saturday:
Quinn_Bob_boat.jpg

We drove slowly around, watching the loons and doing a little fishing.

Edit- that is my dock, on the left, with the bench seat on it.

I sold mine in 2012. I bought it in 2004.

I had a 1974 23' Thompson Cruiser with a single 350 Chevy I/O. It was a really cool old boat. I had it in a slip. It slept 6 people. I ran it up and down the Erie Canal.

When I bought it gas was ~$1.00 a gallon...Well - you can see where this is going.

It got too expensive to run, and repairs were wearing me out. I had to look for parts on E-Bay most of the tme. The final straw was when my gas tank ruptured and I dumped 100 gallons of $4.50 per gallon gas all over the place. If I had a gun I probably would have shot it on the spot, but I'd have probably blown up the marina. :D

The guy who bought it was planning on parting it out because of the rarity of the outdrive.

Do I miss it? Nope. Although every Spring I start thinking about getting another boat. Maybe when I retire in a few years.

I currently live in the finger lakes region and I bought a kayak last year (still a boat :D). I try to get out once or twice a week to fish or paddle around. Both pics are from Hemlock lake, one in January, the other last July.

971206_10201561445788256_551730233_n.jpg

1148997_10202824748810042_664752000_n.jpg

I currently live in the finger lakes region and I bought a kayak last year (still a boat :D). I try to get out fishing once or twice a week to fish or paddle around. Both pics are from Hemlock lake, one in January, the other last July.

SWEET!!!! WOW Gods country!

Cheers
Jay

I currently live in the finger lakes region and I bought a kayak last year (still a boat :D). I try to get out fishing once or twice a week to fish or paddle around. Both pics are from Hemlock lake, one in January, the other last July.

If that's snow on your boat, that's pretty hard corps. I have 3 kayaks, but they don't see that kind of weather, ever. Took all 3 of them down Weeki Wachi river this past weekend, saw many manatee. It's a 100% spring-fed river, so it's crystal clear.

Paddling-the-Weeki-Wachee.jpg

Yeah it's snow. It wasn't too bad, right around freezing but when you paddle it keeps you warm. That was one of my favorite days out.

I googled that river. Looks amazing to kayak on. I think if I'm ever down there it will be something I'd do.

Lets see here 4 kayaks and a 14ft v-hulled skiff. Nope don't have any boats. I am looking and considering a drift skiff of some sort, I need something that can take a rock hit or 2 dozen.

If that's snow on your boat, that's pretty hard corps. I have 3 kayaks, but they don't see that kind of weather, ever. Took all 3 of them down Weeki Wachi river this past weekend, saw many manatee. It's a 100% spring-fed river, so it's crystal clear.

Paddling-the-Weeki-Wachee.jpg

I love those springs.

I'm a diver and one of my bucket list dives is those springs. I've snorkeled there, but never dove. It's gotta feel like you're flying with water that clear.

I love those springs.

I'm a diver and one of my bucket list dives is those springs. I've snorkeled there, but never dove. It's gotta feel like you're flying with water that clear.

There's some GREAT springs up and down the dark Suwanee River. The spring-fed rivers here are incredible. One neat thing is that they run the exact same temperature year round. So, kayaking them in the winter is also great (winter here isn't that cold anyway).

Here's my 2008 Lund Rebel XL (16') with Yamaha F75. Motor runs like a champ and the carpet is already covered in fish slime again this year.

lundboat005rszdl4.jpg

lundboat004rszgq3.jpg

2010 kids and fishing 059.jpg

This is us a couple years ago in my 2008 Crestliner SuperHawk 1700 w/ 90 HP Merc 4-stroke. Have since sold it and got something else.

Love to be on the water, whether relaxing with my wife or fishing for bass (or both!). This pic is of me and two old HS buddies at Black Lake, NY. We get together every year, one from central NY and one from Madison, WI and we spend 4 days there each fall. Been doing it since 1985. The scenery is gorgeous. The weather, while always a crap-shoot, is part of the challenge. The skies and sunrises/sunsets are spectacular! We pretty much have the 18-mile long/2-mile wide lake to ourselves when we're there. We go out in the AM and don't come in until dusk. A cool, rainy day with a slight breeze really turns on the smallmouths!

I haven't mentioned my homebrewing adventures yet to my buddies. I'm simply going to take 3 or 4 styles with me in Oct. and surprise them --- hopefully in a good way!

black12-28.jpg

Here's my beater fishing boat I got from my brother in law...1980 Lund Tri-hull....starts every Spring and it gets me out on the water to fish. The pictures are bit awkward but you get the idea. My personal best walleye from Memorial Weekend...22" caught in Northern Minnesota.

2014-05-29 20.49.29.jpg

2014-05-29 20.49.43.jpg

2014-05-25 10.38.38.jpg

No offense to anyone present, but growing up with paddle and sail craft has given me a strong disdain for motorcraft.

Motor boats are fun when you rare on one, but pollute both air and water and the natural peace that usually accompanies a body of water for everyone else.

I would strongly consider the opportunity to kill whoever invented the Seadoo.

More than one awesome occasion has been tainted and fairly well spoiled by the approach of a noisy, obnoxious motor. Most notably was on my honeymoon in the florida keys. A tranquil little uninhabited cove with 2 pelicans floating peacefully and 2 young lovers entranced by the peaceful moment. bbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Pelicans fly away and we are forced to listen to 2 drunk *****ebags try to capsize their seadoos in the little cove.

Motor boats are fun when you rare on one, but pollute both air and water and the natural peace that usually accompanies a body of water for everyone else.

I think that's mainly agricultural runoff but I agree with you on the jet skis and big powerboats. I grew up with a canoe too btw, you need to go fishing with me sometime, there's still plenty of peace and tranquility to be found.

:mug:

Well generally I love my boat, a 2000 Sea Ray 190 Signature bow rider with a 5.0L EFI 240 hp Mercruiser, Smart Tabs, and an added-on swim platform. However, I've put about $1000 in repairs into it the last month and last Saturday after getting to use it all of one day during our 7-day vacation in Orange Beach because it was still in the shop, I had my first trailer tire blowout on Interstate 10 which was a scary beast to repair. Here we are during better times at the mouth of Dog River near Mobile, AL:
s6zq.jpg

The boat is a blast when you get to do things like this with our giant inflatable Super Mable:
tubelr.jpg

However, when you run over some moron's mismarked crab trap which wraps around your stern drive requiring a boat rescue they are not so much fun (I'm on the left with Captain Ron from boatus insurance on the right in the ICW near Biloxi, MS):
crabtrapandcaptaindaves.jpg

But at least this isn't me:
imageamy.jpg

BigRock,

My Brother in Law just inherited a family 1979 Lund Tri-Hull (White/Blue)that was his grandfathers. Has a 50 merc on it that purrs. Pretty nice boat, very stable. A little rough in the waves but thats the price you pay for the stability.

Cheezy,

Agree on some of your points. The noise thing I get. I also use a 12' rowboat and kayak quite a bit. I sometimes run 14' sailboats with my Dad. Jet-Ski's well I guess some people love em. I could do without. As far as pollution goes, a modern 4 stroke puts no oil into the water and puts far less emissions into the air than your lawnmower does. About as environmentally friendly as a gas motor can be. I love to fish (matching my love for homebrew), and quite frankly there are a lot of bodies of water that would be impossible to fish without a gas motor.

I think that's mainly agricultural runoff but I agree with you on the jet skis and big powerboats. I grew up with a canoe too btw, you need to go fishing with me sometime, there's still plenty of peace and tranquility to be found.

Will do brother!!

Had a 1979 Phantom Tri-Hull with a 1970 - 75 Evinrude Triumph 75h outboard. Was a love hate relation ship with that boat. Cost me more in maintenance than a wife.

Was happier the day I sold the motor and gave the boat away with it than I was the day my son was born.

Definition of a boat: A hole in the water you keep dumping money into!

Edit: Forgot to add; I love boats, power or sailing, I have lots of experience on all kinds!

I've owned kayaks, canoes, jonboats, catarafts, rubber ducks (Zodiacs) and a 18ft deep V hull aluminum Sylvan with 90HP Yamaha.

I was blessed to build/be involved in building everything from Aluminum Jonboats to an Aluminum 80ft Catamaran, she was 35ft wide and 27ft tall, and had a sauna behind the bridge. Powered by 4 Kodiak 3 Stage jet engines we got her up to 25kts out in Turnagain Arm in front of Anchorage.

I also co-captained an 85ft landing craft out of Homer for a brief period. Nothing like trying to steer a straight course, diagonal to the oncoming wind, in an 85ft Boxcar on the water. We were laying sensor cable for an oil survey company and you weren't allowed to vary by more then 1 degree on either side of the plotted course. Totally sucked but was good pay.

BigRock,

My Brother in Law just inherited a family 1979 Lund Tri-Hull (White/Blue)that was his grandfathers. Has a 50 merc on it that purrs. Pretty nice boat, very stable. A little rough in the waves but thats the price you pay for the stability.

Yeah it's good boat for fishing around here in Iowa and its great for my wife and me....when I go to Minnesota, I do get a little envious of boats like your Lund deep "V" hulls when they zip past me on the windy days.

Definition of a boat: A hole in the water you keep dumping money into!

I've owned kayaks, canoes, jonboats, catarafts, rubber ducks (Zodiacs) and a 18ft deep V hull aluminum Sylvan with 90HP Yamaha.

I was blessed to build/be involved in building everything from Aluminum Jonboats to an Aluminum 80ft Catamaran, she was 35ft wide and 27ft tall, and had a sauna behind the bridge. Powered by 4 Kodiak 3 Stage jet engines we got her up to 25kts out in Turnagain Arm in front of Anchorage.

I also co-captained an 85ft landing craft out of Homer for a brief period. Nothing like trying to steer a straight course, diagonal to the oncoming wind, in an 85ft Boxcar on the water. We were laying sensor cable for an oil survey company and you weren't allowed to vary by more then 1 degree on either side of the plotted course. Totally sucked but was good pay.

B.O.A.T.

Break Out Another Thousand

B.O.A.T.

Break Out Another Thousand

Mine have ALWAYS been spelled with 2 "T"s

Two Thousand
Three Thousand
Ten Thousand

Uhhhhh But I do love sitting on the water, sleeping on the water, drinking on the water, having a nice Cigar on the water. Really just about everything is better for me when I combine "boat" and "water".

Cheers
Jay

I used to sail and had a Cal 25 docked at Dana Point, CA. I sold it and now live only near a large lake in NC.

Everything I needed to do to it would cost a fair amount of money but it was a sturdy boat, I loved staying on it all weekend long at the docks and I loved the people. I think about getting something again that is good for lake use.

"Boats" plural. 39' sailboat, 19' sailing dory, 14' canoe, 13' sailing duck boat, dinghies 10'6", 7'9", 7'8" folding. All of those are wooden. The two inflatable kayaks, one inflatable dinghy, one life raft, one folding 10' sailing dinghy. I've built a couple of small ones too. I guess you could say that I like boats.

Back