Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Blizzard

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013, 03:14 AM   #51
Thunder_Chicken
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 657 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Not to say that the Caribbean isn't damned nice, but hell..snow melts. It'll be OK critters. The news agencies are living off of your hysteria, don't feed them!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 03:54 AM   #52
dkwolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 177 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 59

As a Midwesterner, I have to say, I find east coast snowstorms funny. A 12"+ snow here will get news coverage for a few days leading up to it (if you follow the right places, you'll start hearing about it 2+ weeks out, but only 3-4 days ahead will it hit mainstream media). But at the same time, if YOU GUYS are going to get a 12"+ snow, we'll hear about it here for a week ahead of time. Four years ago, we had a blizzard hit here that when I woke up in the morning, I couldn't find my TRUCK in the driveway (it was hiding in a 7' drift), and the entire western 1/3 of the state was completely shut down, as many highways had 10'+ drifts - one highway near me didn't get reopened until 5 days after the storm. But turn the TV on at night, and what do we hear about? This monster storm that was bearing down on the east coast. The same one that just got done dumping on us.

But I also know exactly what you're talking about. I drive 30 miles one way to work, all of it wide-open rural highway. Snowpacked and drifted roads is a part of living in Iowa. But it never fails, as soon as 47 snowflakes fall, people turn into farking idiots, driving 30 on the highway because "it might be slick". As soon as there's a visible trace of snow on the road, you're better off abandoning the state highways and driving county backroads - or even gravel roads, because the sheeple that are scared out of their minds will stick to the highway.

Good luck to y'all out there.

Edit to add: Add me to the "Prefer cold to hot" crowd. Like they said, you can always put on more clothes when it's cold. There's only so naked I'm allowed to get -- I think they might have put a line about that in the Geneva Convention. Something about crimes against humanity.....

Old 02-08-2013, 04:15 AM   #53
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2677 Times on 1591 Posts
Likes Given: 5840

I'm from Texas so I should be in the "I get scared at the sight of a snowflake" crowd, but honestly it's not that bad. If you know how to drive in the snow it's not really that big a deal. I think I'm am a northerner born in the south (yes, east Texas is part of the south) because I personally enjoy NE weather and generally like this part of the country a lot more than where I grew up. I'm considering driving down to New York to judge in a competition on Saturday if the roads are good enough, but if that falls through I'll definitely be brewing in my garage with a foot or two of snow outside. At least the chilling will go quickly.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 02-08-2013, 04:20 AM   #54
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 837 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 69

That sh*t just passed through Wisconsin. The nice thing is, it was a nice slow snowfall which gave plows and salters time to keep up, so the roads were pretty good all day. The real sucky part is that it is wet and heavy. Heavy. Shoveling tonight (twice) really sucked.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:01 AM   #55
Evan_L
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Hope it dries out before it hits us in the east, 2+ feet of wet snow on the roofs = trouble.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:07 AM   #56
dkwolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 177 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
That sh*t just passed through Wisconsin. The nice thing is, it was a nice slow snowfall which gave plows and salters time to keep up, so the roads were pretty good all day. The real sucky part is that it is wet and heavy. Heavy. Shoveling tonight (twice) really sucked.
The wet, heavy snows are why I bought my snowblower. Granted, I have a small driveway - one side is around 35' long, the other just over 20. But it's on the east side of my house, and I live on the very western edge of town. There is nothing west of me to stop the wind, so a little 4" snowfall will leave 2-3' drifts in my driveway. Three years ago when the first two snows we got were 8-10" each of wet, heavy snow, I caved and dropped the coin for a two-stage blower.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:24 AM   #57
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
On my police forum we're constantly bombarded with the retired guys who've moved down to Florida and their ridiculous attempts to rub the heat in our faces. Personally, I laugh because they can keep it. I visited my sister while she was living in Florida and I ended up in the house most of the time because I couldn't take the heat. I have no idea how I made it through Airborne School at Ft. Benning during the summer.
One of the kids I went to High School with Trash talks New Jersey all the time (has a crap job hasn't gotten a better one I think he blames the state for some weird reason, and if you're not making money, NJ isn't a lovely place to live cause CoL is higher) and he's moving to florida and I think it will be funny hearing him complain about the heat. Cause it's gonna happen. I hate the super hot. I'm a north east kinda guy. Maybe I'd move out for the North west, but I do actually enjoy having all 4 seasons in a year.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #58
Diaperload
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I prefer the cold to the heat hands down. I don't mind snow either, other than in recent years when everyone seems to be going nuts about it now.
Opposite here. I lived in St. Petersburg, Russia for 1 year and 14 days. I hate the freaking cold. Gimme blistering heat!

"I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out."

Old 02-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #59
Goofynewfie
Recipes 

Liked 268 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I live in northern Alberta, when it gets minus 70 with 4 feet of snow overnight, then I'll listen to your complaints

You cant always be young but you can always be immature

People Like This 
Old 02-08-2013, 12:37 PM   #60
mcbaumannerb
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 35 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4387 Times on 2449 Posts
Likes Given: 14319

I forgot they were now naming "significant" snow storms. This one is Nemo - how cute!

Untappd: mcbaumannerb BEEr

Facebook: BEEr

"Oh mother, tell your children; not to do what I have done."

Quick Reply