Recipes 

Liked 819 Times on 575 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepinctbrewer View Post
Lol yup maybe 4 feet from the bushes
ok... can kinda see where a road might be

between the bushes and those striations in the center of the pic

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 08:19 PM   #153
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder_Chicken
We're dug out from right about 24" of snow here, give or take due to drifts.

My neighbor's son (I call him Mr. Useless, the Non-Wonder Boy) got their snowblower running after a fashion. He then tried to shove a 12" deck into 2+ feet of snow and kept stalling it all day long. Fires it up... *whump*... *sputter*...silence,... *F$%K!* Lather-rinse-repeat for 5 hours. Damned near gave everyone in the neighborhood carbon monoxide poisoning, but did very little else. You can smell the clutch burning down the block, but he doesn't seem to be aware of this.

My wife and I cleared our driveway (twice as large as our neighbor's) with shovels and finished up about half and hour ago. The neighbor is *still* screwing around with the snowblower. Some people sure enjoy being miserable.

Hope you are all well and not miserable.
Too f-ing funny. Spent 5 hours outside with the neighbors - got my driveway taken care of plus two others. Had a couple Brown Suggas afterwards. Kids outside all day sledding and playing. Chicken soup going on the kitchen stove. My ass is firmly planted on the couch at this point. Still some work to do on the back deck and the driveway (wind's been piling up drifts again), but that can wait until tomorrow. Definitely not miserable...in fact, quite satisfied with this blizzard experience.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:23 PM   #154
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepinctbrewer
Still no plow truck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder_Chicken
None of the side streets are plowed up in Springfield MA. It's going to be a while before we're completely dug out from this.
That's too bad. I have to say I was very impressed with the plowing around here. I live on a cul de sac - definitely not a high priority street - and the plows came through several times last night and the street is perfectly passable. Hope you're all dug out soon.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:34 PM   #155
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 657 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 178

They made passes last night and just ran down the street again. It's not perfect but passable.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:38 PM   #156
barneygumble
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Yep, main roads are wet/dry and clear. secondary's are wet/clear. Even the small side streets are clear here and the salt is beginning to work on them too.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:01 AM   #157
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 657 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem View Post
Too f-ing funny. Spent 5 hours outside with the neighbors - got my driveway taken care of plus two others. Had a couple Brown Suggas afterwards. Kids outside all day sledding and playing. Chicken soup going on the kitchen stove. My ass is firmly planted on the couch at this point. Still some work to do on the back deck and the driveway (wind's been piling up drifts again), but that can wait until tomorrow. Definitely not miserable...in fact, quite satisfied with this blizzard experience.
Oh I wish my neighborhood worked like that. My neighbors are really miserable and I'm just happy that they can generally keep their dramas on their side of the fence so I can just spectate and not be forced to participate. There are actually a lot of great people on the block, but both of my immediate neighbors are bozos. I lock my doors religiously because of them.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:58 AM   #158
JohnnyO
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 892 Times on 840 Posts
Likes Given: 487

Checking in from Hamden, the winner of the snow sweepstakes. Apparently, we had the highest total snow at 40" here. I don't doubt it. We had a crazy amount with insane drifts. Plows are not powerful enough for the amount we got, and the town has a total of 4 payloaders. My road isn't lowed except for where my neighbor dug us out this morning (he's in construction).

We're all safe and in decent shape. Last night sucked though. My snowblower picked up a doormat and I blew a shear bolt. Didn't have a replacement and the worst of the storm hadn't even started. Luckily my neighbor had a bolt that fit. Lifesaver.

Been drinking homebrewed porter all night. Feeling good...

Airborneguy Likes This 
Old 02-10-2013, 12:30 PM   #159
krackin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
Checking in from Hamden, the winner of the snow sweepstakes. Apparently, we had the highest total snow at 40" here. I don't doubt it. We had a crazy amount with insane drifts. Plows are not powerful enough for the amount we got, and the town has a total of 4 payloaders. My road isn't lowed except for where my neighbor dug us out this morning (he's in construction).

We're all safe and in decent shape. Last night sucked though. My snowblower picked up a doormat and I blew a shear bolt. Didn't have a replacement and the worst of the storm hadn't even started. Luckily my neighbor had a bolt that fit. Lifesaver.

Been drinking homebrewed porter all night. Feeling good...
Sounds like you win! You can keep on winning, I'll cheer for ya! We got a couple of feet with a lot of drifting. It was all dry snow here. No big deal really, more like normal expectations of winter.

Loaders are about useless for winter highway maintenance except for doing what they were made for, loading trucks. We use them for clearing intersection corners and clearing driveways when we high wing banks. My town, small town, uses 2 single axle dump trucks with fixed directional front highway plows and wing plows and spreaders for sand and salt. One of those is 4 WD for mtns. We have another 10 wheeler equipped the same and one 10 wheeler with just a spreader body for sand/salt. We have 2 1 ton trucks with multidirectional highway plows, one has a spreader body, and we use a 1 ton pick up with a multidirectional plow which has a utility body for tools as needed. We have 1 Cat loader and I drive a Cat 140 M Road Grader with fixed directional highway plow and wing plow winter package. This is new, I used to run a Gallion 850 Road Grader thus equipped plus 6 wheel tire chains if needed. There has never been a storm or series of storms that has stopped us and we don't get that Rocky Mountain fluff here. One storm was over 4.5' of wind driven sleet of a real Nor' Easter which packs like the dickens as any snow belt East Coast resident can attest to.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #160
Jeepinctbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 232

looks like i might get out today, a paylaoder just made a small pass on my street

Primary- AHS our special holiday ale mini mash
Secondary- Northern brewer oatmeal stout mini mash
On tap- Redhook Esb clone
Bottled-Shining star pale ale

Quick Reply