Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Blackwater

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2007, 12:10 AM   #1
Nate
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Blackwater

Anyone catch the Blackwater story and how those responsible would face Iraqi justice? Just wondering how everyone feels about this one...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2007, 12:17 AM   #2
ArroganceFan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think I read somewhere that they fall under the FBI and Justice System for crimes. I doubt that the gov would hand over US citizens to another country.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Primary: Fat Tire clone
Secondary: Summit IPA
On Tap: Edwort's Apfelwein
Up Next: Blue Moon clone, Muddy Waters Ale
Coming Soon: Geforce Shugga

Old 09-18-2007, 03:08 AM   #3
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts

Several articles I've read about Blackwater compare their use by Gov't officials as that of Hitler's Brownshirts.

Old 09-18-2007, 03:49 AM   #4
ArroganceFan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Not surprising

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Primary: Fat Tire clone
Secondary: Summit IPA
On Tap: Edwort's Apfelwein
Up Next: Blue Moon clone, Muddy Waters Ale
Coming Soon: Geforce Shugga

Old 09-18-2007, 04:10 AM   #5
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Just more Bull**** to fuel the liberal media. They came under attack, one of their vehicle's was destroyed. What are they suppose to do sit there and do nothing? Its pretty bad when people have to worry about defending them selfs. Pretty easy for the enemy to remove guns from the dead and call them "civilians". I really hope nothing more comes of this, but im sure people in this country will be calling them baby killers and want them to be put in jail for the rest of their lives.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:46 PM   #6
Zar
Recipes 

im just sick of the media bitching about everything they can come up with about the war. They act like war is supposed to be some kind of civilized scuffle between opposing groups.

Old 09-18-2007, 03:52 PM   #7
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Ib4tl......

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 09-18-2007, 04:13 PM   #8
WOP31

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Beer Beer Beer,......i love Beer!

ib4tl.......

Old 09-18-2007, 04:19 PM   #9
kornkob
Resident Crazy Uncle
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts

Personally I think that every citizen should have to 'worry' about the potential consequences of defending themselves. It's a very serious thing, taking another person's life and even if you are 'in the right' you should have to answer for your decisions. This is, in my opinion, how justice is best served.

I, for instance, know full well that by keeping a firearm and standing willing to defend my family with deadly force that I may find myself the subject of a serious investigation, particularly if it turns out that the 'weapon' the home invader had was not a gun but a screwdriver or a wallet. I know that firing on someone means I will be subject to scrutiny. I have no problem with that.

If these guys were, in fact, firing legitimately at armed person who were attacking them and that the dead civilians were, in fact, armed combatants or unfortunate collateral damage then I doubt that The State Department's 'fair and transparent' investigation will find any wrongdoing.

If they were indiscriminately firing on Iraqi people in an overzealous reaction to a roadside bomb then they deserve punishment. In fact, if they are acting in such a cavalier fashion they are doing more harm than good to the mission of our troops and they probably need a beating on top of whatever sentence they get.

However, I doubt this is the case. Tier One security folks are not recruited for their brutality, capacity for violence or as combat fodder. They are recruited for their advanced understanding of physical security, application of appropriate force in difficult circumstances and their professionalism in adversity.

But I also know that sometimes people don't react the way they intend. 'Sympathetic fire' happens sometimes--- one guy discharges a weapon and suddenly everyone is shooting without really understanding why-- and it is possible that this group got hit with an IED and then over-reacted, causing local police and shopkeepers (both allowed to keep weapons for their own security) to fire back, thus escalating the situation further.

And investigation is warranted and appropriate, IMO.

Kob

/F the media on both sides
//'the media' doesn't have any 'side' but their own paycheck
///Distrust the 'press'-- they'll always side with the dramatic over the factual.

Jason 'Kornkob' Robinson

I wanna move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Old 09-18-2007, 04:40 PM   #10
Trencher
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanh1801
Just more Bull**** to fuel the liberal media. They came under attack, one of their vehicle's was destroyed. What are they suppose to do sit there and do nothing? Its pretty bad when people have to worry about defending them selfs. Pretty easy for the enemy to remove guns from the dead and call them "civilians". I really hope nothing more comes of this, but im sure people in this country will be calling them baby killers and want them to be put in jail for the rest of their lives.
If they fired on armed people who were later made to look like civilians, they should not be charged. That does not mean we should assume they did or did not fire on civilians until the situation has been fully investigated.

We cannot bring peace, stability and democracy to Iraq by claiming we are above the law, and law requires accountability.

Q: Why don't elephants like penguins?

A: They can't get the wrappers off.

Quick Reply