Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Blackberry Storm

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2008, 02:26 AM   #11
Edcculus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

I picked one up, but I blacked out as soon as I looked at the screen

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2008, 03:01 AM   #12
aekdbbop

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I have a pearl now.. love it and wont go back to any other brand.. is this coming to ATT?

Old 11-20-2008, 07:45 AM   #13
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainsawbrewing View Post
i can't remember what it is, some book i read in my youth, or some movie, i'm sure someone here will know, but it was a major kick ass watch, that did like eleventy billion things, except for tell time.
I want to say this sounds like something from a Douglas Adams book, but I could be mistaken.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 11-20-2008, 12:43 PM   #14
chainsawbrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTOJ View Post
I want to say this sounds like something from a Douglas Adams book, but I could be mistaken.
probably was, i've read every douglas adams book so many times, it's like imbedded into my brain, lol.

my bar build

Old 11-20-2008, 12:59 PM   #15
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2754 Times on 2705 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostileNabusive View Post
I'm not completely gonna vouch for this feature but according to the hands on video I've seen, it works really well and cuts down on a lot of erroneous typing that touch screens have problems with.
I'm sure that it is a nice feature. I totally agree that just having the sound of the keys clicking can trigger a sense in the brain to make it more like a realy keyboard. I think's it's brilliantly simple.
I am just asking, is this really there only big new feature for their new phone? The commercial I've seen says nothing about what else the phone has/does. Clicking buttons is not enough to make me want to look into the phone any more to see what else it has. Does it have the standard everything minus one feature? Why can't a phone throw it all in one? they all seem to leave out one thing. What I would want.
Good Service of course
Visual Voicemail
Music/Video player
Decent internet browser
GPS
buttonless touchscreen
tilt recognition such as iPhone and others.

Guess that's a lot to ask from one little thingy that fits in my pocket. These things nowadays really are amazing when you think about it.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 11-20-2008, 03:16 PM   #16
scottthorn
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
I'm sure that it is a nice feature. I totally agree that just having the sound of the keys clicking can trigger a sense in the brain to make it more like a realy keyboard. I think's it's brilliantly simple.
I am just asking, is this really there only big new feature for their new phone? The commercial I've seen says nothing about what else the phone has/does. Clicking buttons is not enough to make me want to look into the phone any more to see what else it has. Does it have the standard everything minus one feature? Why can't a phone throw it all in one? they all seem to leave out one thing. What I would want.
Good Service of course
Visual Voicemail
Music/Video player
Decent internet browser
GPS
buttonless touchscreen
tilt recognition such as iPhone and others.

Guess that's a lot to ask from one little thingy that fits in my pocket. These things nowadays really are amazing when you think about it.
The Storm does all those things. I attended a Verizon/RIM 'First Look, First Touch' launch party last week and saw all of those features in use. Watched the "Iron Man" trailer and it looked great. Comes with an 8GB microSD card for loading up your favorite a/v files. Visual voicemail is awesome - why didn't someone think of that before? The GPS definitely showed the correct location, but unfortunately we weren't allowed to leave the building with the device for further testing

I lack the vocabulary skillz to accurately describe how it feels, but the tactile response from clicking a virtual button on the touch screen is really cool! You can swipe your fingers to move around screens like on the iPhone, but when you actually select something there is a physical click.

Everything, minus one? The only thing I could think of was that it doesn't do WiFi.

I'm just hoping that my employer will approve the purchase so I can have one of these for myself.
nothing
Drinking/Aging (bottles):
American Stout, Breakfast Stout clone, Rye IPA, Braggot, Roggenbier, Pale Ale, Oat Stout, Apfelwein, Pliny Clone

Old 11-20-2008, 10:00 PM   #17
ColoradoXJ13

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottthorn View Post
The only thing I could think of was that it doesn't do WiFi.
That was an idiotic thing to leave out, and I would warrant a guess that Verizon told them to leave it out, so you rack up more minutes on their network. My Ipod does WiFi...why the heck shouldn't my phone...

Old 11-20-2008, 10:10 PM   #18
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 453 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I'm disappointed. I saw the title and thought "Blackberry Storm" was going to be some great mead recipe or something. heh

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 11-21-2008, 12:30 AM   #19
hostileNabusive
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoXJ13 View Post
That was an idiotic thing to leave out, and I would warrant a guess that Verizon told them to leave it out, so you rack up more minutes on their network. My Ipod does WiFi...why the heck shouldn't my phone...
Actually when you sign up for your blackberry service you get unlimited bandwidth, just a fyi.

I think one of the reasons they left it out is that it's a battery drainer. My buddy's has to use his wifi on his iphone all the time since his AT&T service is poor (to say the least) and it barely makes it to the end of the day...

Here's a review if anyone's interested. It's a little lengthy but pretty well done.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:18 AM   #20
Anthony_Lopez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've never understood the need for an expensive cell phone...

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
--Tom Waits

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
--Frank Zappa

My Cheap and Easy Stirplate

Quick Reply