Last days to enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Black Powder Firearms

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2014, 11:41 PM   #1
rodwha
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Default Black Powder Firearms

Anyone else into these?

I now have 3 with a list of more I'll be needing. I have a Ruger Old Army which is a .45 cal, a Remington 1858 which is called a .44 cal as they used to be measured by the lands instead of the grooves so it's a .45 in today's measurements, and then I have a .50 cal Lyman Deerstalker rifle.

I've had quite a bit of fun shooting these and casting up my own projectiles. I have a custom mold that drops 3 different bullets with a wide flat nose profile that weigh 170, 195, and 285 grns. I also have a ball mold which is .457" and weighs 144 grns. Then I have a .490" ball mold for my rifle as well as 2 conical Lee REAL molds that measure ~.515" and give a 250 and 320 grn conical.

I use the more energetic powders (Olde Eynsford and Triple 7) as I wanted to duplicate a .45 Colt load as I intend on using these for hunting once I've worked everything out.

These things always turn heads and usually get a few questions.

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day
Zuljin Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2014, 11:43 PM   #2
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I used to black powder hunt for deer. Nothing drops a doe like a black powder round to the neck.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:03 AM   #3
flars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 673 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Have you wondered about the conundrum, and solved, that a 55 grain measure can only weigh 38 grains? (Exact numbers made up.)

Old 11-21-2014, 12:37 AM   #4
hunter_la5
16%er
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1220 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 3371

I've got a black powder rifle (old school percussion cap Hawken style repro) that I bought about 7 years ago and have taken to the range exactly once.

I got it to use as a hunting rifle, but every time I think about using it, I think "but then I'll have to clean it later...." and I leave it at home.

Non-corrosive smokeless powder is great for lazy people like me.

2. Yooper's Fizzy Yellow Beer
3. Brandon O's Graff
Bottled:
Kombucha
Primary:
1. Kombucha
UnderCouchers 4 Lyfe
Zuljin Likes This 
Old 11-21-2014, 02:21 AM   #5
Zuljin
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3710 Times on 3357 Posts
Likes Given: 642

I've a CVA from Cabelas. Shot two jars of powder through it shortly after I got it. Haven't touched it in over 10 years. Having to pay for range time now sucks. I should take it out soon.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:29 AM   #6
Picker
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a Lymans Great Plains in .54 and a more modern Traditions inline .50 - both cap locks. On my wish list is a flint lock Pennsylvania style rifle.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:54 AM   #7
dobes
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have a traditions short 50 cal rifle and a traditions 50 cal pistol. Both flint locks. Don't really hunt with them anymore just shoot for fun up camp.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:00 AM   #8
JINKS
Fermentator Extrordinaire
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Pennsylvania flint lock rifle .50 cal
Kentucky cap lock .45 rifle
Traditions .50 cal caplock Kentucky pistol
1851 Colt Navy reproduction
In black powder cartridge I have an 1873 Springfield trapdoor 45/70 (built in 1874 according to the sn#) and also an original 1888 5 shot .32 Smith and Wesson short colt pocket pistol ( although I load it with .7 grains of clays and not black powder.)

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the bank looking like an idiot.
Zuljin Likes This 
Old 11-21-2014, 12:44 PM   #9
rodwha
Recipes 

The Pol: I used to neck shoot deer with a .270 Win, and I'd often get these little TX deer to flip completely over. I've wondered if a PRB would be as effective as it doesn't really have the static shock a high velocity modern bullet does. What were you using?

flars: I use the same adjustable measure for everything so they all read the same to me! Especially since I don't weigh the charges, though I had at one time with Triple 7, but I don't recall the difference.

hunter: Triple 7 is so bad. And Blackhorn 209 isn't at all. I've also found that a good wipe down and spray with Ballistol will stave off the need. I've done this with my pistols and left them in my garage as a test, and it works.

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day
hunter_la5 Likes This 
Old 11-21-2014, 12:45 PM   #10
rodwha
Recipes 

These have drawn me into the history, and now I want a couple of flintlocks too. And a Colt Walker!

Quick Reply