Likes Given: 2

I'm brewing on Friday. Fukc the stores.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2007, 06:48 PM   #22
Zar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I never go out to the stores on Black friday...well except for last when a couple friends dragged me along. The check out line at best buy was worse than a line for a ride at Disney. It snaked in and out of the isles around half of the store People who reached the front of the line said they had been waiting for over an hour. Why deal with all that? Im just planning on brewing friday

Old 11-21-2007, 07:15 PM   #23
dblvsn

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've been out on Black Friday before and have snagged some really sweet deals. I usually walk in about 10 minutes after they open and if there's still an item I want I grabit otherwise I refuse to stand in line for hours just to possibly get an item thats only fairly discounted. The only exception is that last year I did stand in 2 lines hoping to get my hands on a wii. If you're crazy enough to stand in the freezing cold for over an hour just to get in the door, then stand in line to check out for another hour just to save a few bucks, I say more power to ya! This year I'm staying home and working on my brew rig.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:23 PM   #24
DesertBrew
You're not my type
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 152

I'm brewing Friday too. This isn't being prejudice but living 45 minutes from the border Black Friday not only includes pyscho Americans but also 50,000+ that come up from Mexico that No hablo inglés for the event.

Last edited by DesertBrew; 11-21-2007 at 07:26 PM.

Old 11-23-2007, 12:35 AM   #25
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

We were driving out to a family member's house today and drove by a Best Buy. I joked to SWMBO "Hey, look at the guys camped out at Best Buy," before we could see the front. There were actually two guys in lawn chairs waiting in line. This was at 11:30am this morning. We passes by again tonight around 8pm and the line had grown substantially, there were a few tents in line, and a camper in the parking lot. If your gonna do it, why not make it a party?

Old 11-23-2007, 02:05 AM   #26
PearlJamNoCode
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My girlfriend is going out at 4am to get deals. I'll be doing my first ever brew on Friday instead.

Planning - Ale Yeast Oktoberfest - PLEASE PM ME IF YOU CAN OFFER ANY ADVICE OR A RECIPE FOR THIS

Old 11-23-2007, 03:39 AM   #27
SuperiorBrew
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I hate shopping even on a regular day, no way tomorrow.
All the office girls were buzzing about the sales so I looked up 4 random items on the front of walmarts sale section in the paper and compared to the normal everyday price on thier website.
Rolling tool chest. sale price $51.00 Regular price $52.39
7.2 Megapixel Sony digital camera sale $77.88 Regular price $77.88
Brother sewing machine Sale $54.00 Regular price $55.00
And one panasonic 42" plasma tv but they do not normal stocked item so nothing to compare it to.

The bottom line was they didnt care they were off to shop at 5:00 Am tomorrow.

Old 11-23-2007, 05:54 PM   #28
feedthebear
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Two malls here opened at 12:01am.

We drove by a BestBuy last night at 10:30pm. It looked like tent-city. And WalMart's parking lot looked 1/2 full. And it was freaking 20F last night.

Idiots.

As for me, my daughter just happened to come down with a cold yesterday. Poor me, I have to stay home with her all day long. I also, coincidentally, have Monday off as part of my regular work schedule.

Can you say, "5-day weekend?"

Drinking: Cab.Sav/Merlot Wine, Grand Cru, Hazelnut Stout #3, Ordinary Bitter

Old 11-23-2007, 06:52 PM   #29
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well I'm usually the last mf'er you'd see in line outside a circuit city at 4am, but there I was. We got there at 4 and the line was already around the front and side of the building, almost to the rear loading dock. Whaaaaat?

But we put on our coats and got in line, hoping that most of the fools in front of us were there for the el-cheapo $299 laptops. Me, I was in the market for a new TV. LCD. HD. And CC had a 42" Sharp Aquos for $799, normally $1,799. The store opened at 5 and we had to get in another line inside for the TV's. Never having gotten within 50 miles of a store on Black Friday before, I was really impressed at how organized CC was. They had special sheets for us that they handed us when we got into the TV line, and they marked the one we wanted so there was no confusion when we got to the register.

All in all, it was 2 hours spent in line for $1000 in savings. Worth it. We got one of the last ones. But now I know why they call it "Black Friday". A true "black" mark on our culture. Feels good to have gotten such a great deal, but I also feel sort of, um, dirty for having participated. Oh well. HDMI, here I come...

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Last edited by Evan!; 11-23-2007 at 06:54 PM.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:49 PM   #30
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trencher
I've sworn for years that I would buy nothing on Black Friday. The blatant celebration of our societal drive to consume sickens me.

But... the LHBS doesn't open until Friday, and I really want to brew!
I feel pretty much the same way. The whole thing seems so asanine. I had to go to the hardware store to buy a few strands of lights because we decorate the house for Christmas today, but I refuse to do any real shopping.

Come to think of it, I really don't do ANY Christmas shopping except getting something for SWMBO and that's been done for a couple of weeks

Quick Reply