Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Bitch about stupid bartenders here

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2009, 04:28 AM   #1
rph33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bitch about stupid bartenders here

Sorry if this has been said before, but I CANNOT FREAKING STAND IT when I go to bars and I ask "Do you have anything dark on tap" and they answer with "We have Bear Republic IPA" or something similar.

Bartenders should be forced to learn a few "spectrums" of the beer world, including but not limited to:

Light Dark
Malty Hoppy

You'd think people would follow the school teaching they've learned since age 5, and when they look at a beer like Bear Republic's IPA and see that it is yellow in color and pretty translucent, they would associate it with the term "light" as opposed to "dark". But something in these people's minds has told them that "strong taste" = "dark", and they therefore call beers such as IPA and Amber Ale "dark".

I think that if I keep getting people recommending the Sierra Nevada when I ask for a dark beer, I just might flip out ninja style one of these times!

What remorseless emperor commands me?
I no longer govern my soul!

BREWDIMUS PRIME BEERS
Primary 1: <empty>
Primary 2: <empty>
Primary 3: Brewdimus Prime's "Prehistoricism" Wheat Wine
Secondary: <empty>
Bottled: Brewdimus Prime's Dubbel Abbey Ale, BierMuncher's "Centennial Blonde", Brewdimus Prime's "Big Slammu" Double IPA
Up Next: 60/40 Oat Ale, Breakfast Stout

My satisfactron rating is off the charts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2009, 04:31 AM   #2
heinz57
Recipes 

Which bar in Sacramento is it that you are referring?

Old 01-23-2009, 04:33 AM   #3
davebl
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I really hate going to a restaurant that "specializes" in beer, meaning they stock several hundred bottles, but then pour every beer at 30 degrees into a frozen mug. It honestly pisses me off.

Planning:

Primary: Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout

Secondary: Centennial IPA (Dry Hopping)

Kegged: Oberon Clone, Kona Fire Rock APA, Northern English Brown, Centennial Blond

Old 01-23-2009, 04:36 AM   #4
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 855 Times on 582 Posts
Likes Given: 2339

I once asked a bartender: "So what sorts of imports do you have?" She replied: "Well, we have Michelob." And she said it with a straight face. I left.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:39 AM   #5
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I think the worst case of dumba$$ bartender has been with understanding up charging with imports.

I've been upcharged with these beers...

• Sam Adams Boston Lager
  • JW Dunde Honey Brown
  • Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
  • New Belgium Fat Tire
If they said all micros & imports are this much and BMC is this then OK.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 01-23-2009, 01:01 PM   #6
FireBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rph33 View Post
Sorry if this has been said before, but I CANNOT FREAKING STAND IT when I go to bars and I ask "Do you have anything dark on tap" and they answer with "We have Bear Republic IPA" or something similar.
Heh...at least they have Bear Republic IPA.

I went to a bar/restaurant once and asked what they have on tap: "Oh, we have a wide selection. Bud, Bud Light, Coors, Coors Light, Miller Lite, Miller Genuine Draft..."

The worst was I heard a server describe a stout once to a patron as "it's dark...you probably won't like it", and this was at a BREWPUB. I happened to know the brewmaster and asked him WTF was up with their waitstaff.

I really hate it when they refer to BMC as "Domestic". Like American micros are produced anywhere else??? I don't expect every bartender to be well-versed in brewing but they should at least have an idea of what they're serving.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:13 PM   #7
jmulligan

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBrewer View Post
Heh...at least they have Bear Republic IPA.
That's what I'm saying!

I was at a restaurant in San Francisco last week, and they had Anderson Valley Boont on the menu. I asked what kind of beer that was and the waitress replied "It's pretty dark... but it's good."

Ummm... it turned out to be an amber. What gets me is that if you're a chick asking about beer, people assume you won't like "dark" beers.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:28 PM   #8
kjung
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

There's a bar/restaurant around here that had an ad in the local papers touting their selection of "Summer Ales." I liked this place because of their wide selection of tap beers, only one or two in the BMC catagory, so naturally, I headed over there one evening for a burger and a beer.
Looking at the tap handles, which change regularly, I saw no "Summer Ales", or anything even close. When the bartender came over, I asked about the Summer Ales, and was told, "Well, we have Miller Lite, which I really like on a hot day, and we have ..."
I stopped her there, and explained about the ad, and the difference between beer and "Summer Beers" and she looked at me like I was an idiot, until the guy a couple of seats down leaned in and told her, "This guy's probably a beer geek. He's looking for something special for summer." The bartender rolled her eyes and said, "This is what we have. We don't have anything special."
I ordered a burger and a Sierra Nevada, and as politely as possible, told her that the attitude really wasn't necessary, I'm not the one who put the ad in the paper, and it's not my fault that I know that there is a difference between beer and summer ales. She got mad, and called out the manager.

Be careful what you wish for, friend, 'cause I've been to Hell, and now I'm back again- Steve Earle

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-
Albert Einstein

"Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism -- how passionately I hate them!"- Einstein, again

Old 01-23-2009, 01:31 PM   #9
FireBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjung View Post
I ordered a burger and a Sierra Nevada, and as politely as possible, told her that the attitude really wasn't necessary, I'm not the one who put the ad in the paper, and it's not my fault that I know that there is a difference between beer and summer ales. She got mad, and called out the manager.
LOL! Let alone the fact that Miller Lite's a LAGER and not an ALE.

I'd been a lot less polite after receiving her attitude. "Want a tip? Learn how to do your ****ing job."

Old 01-23-2009, 01:44 PM   #10
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

How about this place I stopped at while on home for Xmas. They brew all their
own craft beers, had a huge long bar inside. Sweet.

The bartenders couldn't describe the beers outside of their color, obviously had
not tried them or many other beers, didn't know the ABV and couldn't tell me what
style the beer was. When I asked they just said "We wouldn't know anything about
that!"

Like I was asking a librarian.

The beers were just named witty plays on the pubs namesake. If I didn't get 4 free
beers and a free shot of Grand Marnier I would've left after #1.

Speaking of which - how do they stay in business!?

Quick Reply